Science/Environment Who are the anti-maskers? A spotters guide to the Australian scene.

Remove this Banner Ad

April then.

What month are we in now? And yes, a difference of a few months matters in this context.

Right now, today, what is the advice of these bodies?

Probably to wear a mask in enclosed areas in places where there is large community transmission - the same thing us sensible people knew from back in February and March. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Good to see our health bodies now issuing different advice after the once-in-a-century global pandemic horse has bolted.

What a shame you didn't start your thread back in February or March! We could have saved so many lives. Just a shame it wasn't a left-wing totem them, and so you weren't really interested.

Probably to wear a mask in enclosed areas in places where there is large community transmission - the same thing us sensible people knew from back in February and March. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Good to see our health bodies now issuing different advice after the once-in-a-century global pandemic horse has bolted.

What a shame you didn't start your thread back in February or March! We could have saved so many lives. Just a shame it wasn't a left-wing totem them, and so you weren't really interested.
The experts have had a bad pandemic. The WHO were telling countries not to close their borders in February, but the strategy of border shutdown is a big part of why Australia and New Zealand never had an initial outbreak.

How do you think viruses are transmitted?

Mostly from close range transmission indoors either airborne or surface. You are not going to get it walking your dog or taking a stroll on the beach.

N95 masks as supplied to Victorian paramedics may have helped spread the virus - they filter the air in but not out. Oops.

Simple masks that healthcare workcare workers are wearing fog up glasses - so clearly they don't stop close transmission of air and moisture which would spread the virus.

Most people who wear masks are not following the advice that goes along with wearing them - which could make mandatory wearing of masks counterproductive.

Do masks work if you have a beard?
Like most things, it depends.

1598475265892.jpeg
This is about respirators though.

When you’re diving, if you’ve got a beard you use something like petroleum jelly on your beard to make your mask seal properly.

Like most things, it depends.

View attachment 946178
This is about respirators though.

When you’re diving, if you’ve got a beard you use something like petroleum jelly on your beard to make your mask seal properly.
Good article and a classic graphic.
Next time I go somewhere where I have to wear a mask the designer stubble will be out,but I can play on with the "Toothbrush"
or a neckbeard.
Might just have a shave.

A Roy Morgan poll released showed 89 percent of respondents agree with face masks being mandatory wearing outdoors in Victoria.

My life experience tells me this is understandable for this pandemic.

It seems not to be the case for some though

Hahahaha, OK then. "No, GoldenSky, please don't look at all these supposedly reputable organisations, many actually charged with protecting public health, saying this stuff during the actual spread of the pandemic; no please look at what they are saying now after the horse has bolted, without providing any reasoning as to why their evidence has changed so drastically or why their previous evidence was incorrect".

Embarrassing stuff. But anyways, I agree, we need a spotters guide to anti-maskers - can you please add these organisations to your list? Important to know who, during a pandemic, was putting out false and non-nonsensical information.
I can see the issue here.

Apparently the evidence shows that wearing masks without hygiene and social distancing is far worse than hygiene and social distancing without wearing masks.

That’s probably where we think we disagree. Mandating both of them together is likely still better in situations where people are being a bit lax, extended time indoors, frequent contact with multiple people like a bus driver might encounter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back