Strategy Who are the best 5 assets in the afl?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No defender should be part of such discussion.

Howe
McGovern
Sicily
Astbury
Andrews
Tarrant

Probably the 6 most important defenders.

Tigs fans may prefer Grimes. Rampe last year but this year he seems to be down.

If I was choosing a team Id start with a ruck, then a key forward, then a key defender, then the midfield.

The 8th best mid isnt far behind the 3rd best mid, but the 8th best defender is much further behind the 3rd best defender.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Howe
McGovern
Sicily
Astbury
Andrews
Tarrant

If I was choosing a team Id start with a ruck, then a key forward, then a key defender, then the midfield.

The 8th best mid isnt far behind the 3rd best mid, but the 8th best defender is much further behind the 3rd best defender.

Sicily and Astbury got more value/better than Weitering? LMAO

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
The discussion isn’t about top 5 players.

Dangerfield might be in discussion as a top 5 player. But not as an asset.

Where as Rowell. Definitely in the discussion.

Probably Rozee as well. As you say, age has to be a significant part of the term 'asset'

Jeremy Cameron would make the list as well.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Howe
McGovern
Sicily
Astbury
Andrews
Tarrant

Nick Haynes the best interceptor in the league

turbo182

All Australian
Sep 25, 2005
Richmond, Vic.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SMOSH/Celtics
1. Charlie Curnow
2. Matthew Rowell
3. Aaron Naughton
4. Jayden Stephenson
5. Conor Rozee

is that teh same Stephenson who didn't get picked a few weeks ago and Missed an entire season? Long Spell.

replace him with harris Andrews and move Curnow down on account of Injury concerns.

Bailey Smith not far off this list.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Some of the young key forwards in the AFL are way way way too over valued. Being young and being able to take a mark is not enough to be a top 5 asset in the league.

Curnow averages 1.3 goals a game.

Naughton averages close to 1.2 not taking in to consideration his first year as a defender.

Hipwood averages 1.5 and has been around long enough and yet to see it take a big step forward.

Some of these guys may go on to become great key forwards but jeez the hype is way over the top considering the output.

Weitering has had a couple of good games after being very average for many, many years.

Lets maybe wait and see how he is going after a couple of months?

Many, many years? How many years do you think he has been in the system?

Weitering is 22 and has played 4 full seasons of AFL football. His first was very good, as was 2019. His 2020 has thus far been outstanding.

So that leaves 2017 and 2018. Two years. Many, many? Try again.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Some of the young key forwards in the AFL are way way way too over valued. Being young and being able to take a mark is not enough to be a top 5 asset in the league.

Curnow averages 1.3 goals a game.

Naughton averages close to 1.2 not taking in to consideration his first year as a defender.

Hipwood averages 1.5 and has been around long enough and yet to see it take a big step forward.

Some of these guys may go on to become great key forwards but jeez the hype is way over the top considering the output.

Curnow has been out for 12 months, take your point though.

Ben King is the latest flavour of the month. Looks good, the lad..

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Curnow has been out for 12 months, take your point though.

Ben King is the latest flavour of the month. Looks good, the lad..
That just works further against having him a top 5 asset though, all have talent and could be elite. Just getting to the stage where we need to see it rather than just back them in on potential.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
That just works further against having him a top 5 asset though, all have talent and could be elite. Just getting to the stage where we need to see it rather than just back them in on potential.

But on the other hand quality young key position defenders seem to be harder to find than Hen's Teeth, hence why I think Weitering (and yes Harris Andrews) should be considered a top 5 trade asset commodity in the AFL..

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
But on the other hand quality young key position defenders seem to be harder to find than Hen's Teeth, hence why I think Weitering (and yes Harris Andrews) should be considered a top 5 trade asset commodity in the AFL..
True although i would add in Sam Taylor to that lot as well when it comes to young key position players.

I am still taking the proven elite players just about to enter the primer years over anything else. Give me a Cripps over just about any player in the league to build around. Still plenty of years in him and still improved each year since coming in to the league.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Many, many years? How many years do you think he has been in the system?

Weitering is 22 and has played 4 full seasons of AFL football. His first was very good, as was 2019. His 2020 has thus far been outstanding.

So that leaves 2017 and 2018. Two years. Many, many? Try again.

His 19 was notthat muchbetter than 17 or 18 and not as good as his 1st year.

Would "many years" have been better than "many, many years"?

His 19 was notthat muchbetter than 17 or 18 and not as good as his 1st year.

Yes it was, particularly his back half of the season which was outstanding.

He lost his way in 2017/2018 but has been very good to excellent at all other times.

Would "many years" have been better than "many, many years"?

It's a step in the right direction but still an exaggeration. Two years. I'm not sure that would even qualify as 'many'.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Cripps and Bont are 25 & 24 (only 1-2 years older than Curnow who has made lists) daresay they would both be top 5 assets along with Rowell.

I really like McCluggage, can see why you would go KPP though.

Back