Who are the best forward flankers in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you define a forward flanker?
They usually play as a link up player and rack up around 10-15 touches a game and can play as an extra at stoppages. Eg lambert and bolton for richmond or simpson and dalhaus for cats

Robbey Grey when he's playing that role.

From the Saints Gresham goes well when we play him that way but last 2 years he's played more midfield minutes.

Shane Edwards has been pretty good over the years

When I think of modern half-forward flankers, I think of Toby Greene and Robbie Gray as the two best. They can find their share of the ball, but they do their best work forward of center, in particular in that 40-80m range from goal. They're both creative with the ball and dangerous around goal themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Ryan, Toby Greene, Jack Gunston, Robbie Gray

Kane Lambert under rated.

AFL and media - Dusty and Paddy
Actually - Gunston... by a country mile

Gunston's a key forward, same height as Jack Riewoldt. He probably should have won the NSM as your ff in 2013.

Toby Greene, Liam Ryan and you have to have Martin in there, he's won 3 NSM, kicking 2.2, 4.0 and 4.0 in three gf appearances.

I reckon Ryan is now the best of them, he pretty much does it all, he's a threat in the air and on the ground.

One to watch as he matures is Gryan Miers. Up to round the end of the h&a this year, he had kicked 16.3m, Richmond fans might call him Cryin and he may be physically intimidated at times but he's lethal anywhere from 40m and closer.

Gunston's a key forward, same height as Jack Riewoldt. He probably should have won the NSM as your ff in 2013.

Toby Greene, Liam Ryan and you have to have Martin in there, he's won 3 NSM, kicking 2.2, 4.0 and 4.0 in three gf appearances.

I reckon Ryan is now the best of them, he pretty much does it all, he's a threat in the air and on the ground.

One to watch as he matures is Gryan Miers. Up to round the end of the h&a this year, he had kicked 16.3m, Richmond fans might call him Cryin and he may be physically intimidated at times but he's lethal anywhere from 40m and closer.

Bont is probably taller. Doesnt mean he is a full forward.
Richo did his best work on the wing, as did GAS.

Gunston is very much a HFF or even an attacking wing who spends up to 25% of his time in defence. He rarely plays as a key forward. Its just that he is so much better than Lewis / TOB / Patton.

And agreed on the NS in 2013. But he wasnt FF. We had Rough and Gunston alternating and Buddy playing the floating role which Gunston now does.

Gunston is very much a HFF or even an attacking wing who spends up to 25% of his time in defence. He rarely plays as a key forward. Its just that he is so much better than Lewis / TOB / Patton.

And agreed on the NS in 2013. But he wasnt FF. We had Rough and Gunston alternating and Buddy playing the floating role which Gunston now does.

Are you high? You are talking about two of the best key position forwards of all time. I know Richo polled well in the Brownlow one year playing on the wing, but he kicked 800 goals and more goals at the MCG than any other player in the history of the game. I reckon he went ok as a key forward.

Are you high? You are talking about two of the best key position forwards of all time. I know Richo polled well in the Brownlow one year playing on the wing, but he kicked 800 goals and more goals at the MCG than any other player in the history of the game. I reckon he went ok as a key forward.

GAS kicked 100 goals playing on the wing. Richo spent half a dozen years on the wing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gunston was really only moved through necessity to defence once all your older champions started retiring or you had injuries. He went back to start with for the better part of a season. Maybe 2017 when both Stratton and Frawley were long term injuries? From memory that's when Sicily went down there too after they had been using him forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gunston was really only moved through necessity to defence once all your older champions started retiring or you had injuries. He went back to start with for the better part of a season. Maybe 2017 when both Stratton and Frawley were long term injuries? From memory that's when Sicily went down there too after they had been using him forward.

Gunston started playing back years ago, but in the last 2 years has done it a lot more. And correct, 2017 and 2019 he was easily 50/50 if not more defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back