Who are the biggest hitters in World cricket ?

Remove this Banner Ad

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who are the top 3 biggest hitters going round at the moment ?

For me its:

1. Chris Gayle..no contest.No ground is big enough
2. David Warner..sweet timer of the ball.
3. Martin Guptill..has hit some huge sixes in the last couple of years.Hit one 127 metres last night.

David Hussey, Shahid afridi also come to mind

Past players

1. Adam Gilchrist..was so consistent at putting the ball over the rope.A lot of them huge
2. Chris Cairns..Dont think he made as much use of the talent he had, but he could hit a ball
3. Sanath Jayasuriya..consistently smashed it

I didnt include the Bothams and Richards of the past, purely because they were using inferior bats , and they just didnt hit the ball as far as they do today. I'm sure in todays 20/20, they would have been unbelievable

Any of KP, De Villiers, Dhoni, Afridi, D. Husseyor Sewag could make a case for that #3 spot.

For past players, one that often gets overlooked, probably because he was never as 'brutal' as the others is Mark Waugh. Could hit a ball as long as anyone. Still the only bloke I've seen put one on top of the Lillee/Marsh stand.

For past players, one that often gets overlooked, probably because he was never as 'brutal' as the others is Mark Waugh. Could hit a ball as long as anyone. Still the only bloke I've seen put one on top of the Lillee/Marsh stand.

Was going to mention this. And the stroke was effortless and straight.

Slog sweeps are easier to hit big than a lofted over the bowlers head landing on top of the lillee marsh. It was ridiculous.

6a0120a735b61b970b014e5fd78f4c970c-800wi

Slog sweeps are easier to hit big than a lofted over the bowlers head landing on top of the lillee marsh. It was ridiculous.

Personally I haven't seen anyone go close to repeating it yet, also Waugh did it in the days before bats were like tree trunks.

Afridi's strike off Symonds up into the Prindiville was also a fair effort.

Gayle did it a couple of summers back. Almost identical....
[youtube]LnOZM10Dh1g[/youtube]

2:40 in.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bowlers are frequently excellent sloogers. Mitchell Johnson has hit sixes out of grounds in England and SA. Their grounds are smaller though. Brett Lee slogged Steve Harmison out of the ground in 2005. One of the few bright points of that tour.

Mitch Marsh put a ball on the roof at the WACA in this year's BBL.

Gayle did it a couple of summers back. Almost identical....
[youtube]LnOZM10Dh1g[/youtube]

2:40 in.....

Just as big as Waugh's, just more brutal. Waugh's was everything about him as a batsman - beautiful, effortless and elegant.

from about 0.25 in.

[youtube]TdNtVYdkQQU[/youtube]

Bowlers are frequently excellent sloogers. Mitchell Johnson has hit sixes out of grounds in England and SA. Their grounds are smaller though. Brett Lee slogged Steve Harmison out of the ground in 2005. One of the few bright points of that tour.

Mitch Marsh put a ball on the roof at the WACA in this year's BBL.

[YOUTUBE]TNkrD95WfmE[/YOUTUBE]

Massive hit

Who are the top 3 biggest hitters going round at the moment ?

For me its:

1. Chris Gayle..no contest.No ground is big enough
2. David Warner..sweet timer of the ball.
3. Martin Guptill..has hit some huge sixes in the last couple of years.Hit one 127 metres last night.

David Hussey, Shahid afridi also come to mind

Past players

1. Adam Gilchrist..was so consistent at putting the ball over the rope.A lot of them huge
2. Chris Cairns..Dont think he made as much use of the talent he had, but he could hit a ball
3. Sanath Jayasuriya..consistently smashed it

I didnt include the Bothams and Richards of the past, purely because they were using inferior bats , and they just didnt hit the ball as far as they do today. I'm sure in todays 20/20, they would have been unbelievable
Does anyone remember lance cairns?,he could hit big with that funny looking bat.

Does anyone remember lance cairns?,he could hit big with that funny looking bat.

He hit six sixes at the MCG against Australia including a one handed six of Lillee.

[YOUTUBE]Q81oE7BXMMg[/YOUTUBE]

Jacob Oram repeated it a few years ago at the WACA.

[YOUTUBE]0WpO06IT_kA[/YOUTUBE]

South AfRICA'S Richard Levi just hit 12 sixes in 100 off 45 balls vs NZ in T20I! :eek:

(new recod for fastest 100 and most sixes, I think)

I agree with the comment re fast bowlers - big strong lads - when they wind up and time it right are capable of anything (not often).
Joel Garner
[youtube]cXzEwbzaDl0[/youtube]

Merv hit some big ones, Brett Lee has been mentioned. Simon O'Donnell once hit one (shield game) into the 2nd tier of the great southern stand - that's big.

South AfRICA'S Richard Levi just hit 12 sixes in 100 off 45 balls vs NZ in T20I! :eek:

(new recod for fastest 100 and most sixes, I think)

Fastest record in T20I.

Not sure on the T20 record, but Yusuf Pathan did hit a 27 ball century in IPL1.

All I can say is I shudder to think what Sobers and Viv could do with today's bats.

Kapil Dev was another one capable of hitting it a long long way. saw him hit one into the second deck of the MCG members once in 85-86.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back