Who are the flag contenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

scanlon

Club Legend
Oct 27, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
3 weeks in, Im thinking Adelaide, Doggies, North, Swans and obviously Hawthorn are the major flag contenders.

3 weeks in, Im thinking Adelaide, Doggies, North, Swans and obviously Hawthorn are the major flag contenders.
What a stretch. You've put up 2 teams that haven't lost a game, and 3 teams that are 2-1 but have played seemingly good games. Amazing insight! >.>

Hawthorn: weaker than last year, but they have some depth. They're a chance, but I think if they're to win it, it's going to largely be due to the mental strength of their opposition, and whether or not they're overawed in whatever final they're playing in.
Swans: have been around the mark for a few years now, and are playing the best they have in a while, as well as not being crippled on the injury front like they have been.

Quite frankly, those are the only 2 teams that I think have shown enough to be considered a contender early season. Looking at the others that some might consider contenders...

West Coast: haven't played too badly but put in a shocker against Hawthorn, and didn't play great a lot of the time against Fremantle. Will need to lift to be a serious chance.
Geelong: great first up win, but very ordinary followup the week after, while Brisbane isn't really a good enough measure at this point in time.
Gold Coast: I don't think anyone's really touting them yet, but that's for good reason given the quality of their opposition in the first 3 rounds. Round 5 against North will be the first time they come up against a team that will likely make the finals, so we'll get a better gauge of where they're at - though on paper, they're every chance to win that game.
Bulldogs: first 2 games aren't against teams I'd consider finals contenders this year (if Freo had played in rounds 1 through 9 like they did in rounds 10 through 23, they would've been towards the bottom of the 8 at best, and they've continued that form this year), though they put in a gutsy performance against Hawthorn (and probably should have won, but I digress). Need to see more of them against other teams likely to be in the finals.
Adelaide: good showing against North, though they ultimately lost, but their next 2 games were against teams that are performing below finals level at the minute. Need to see more.
North: good showing against Adelaide, but took a while before they gained the ascendancy against Brisbane, and they really lapsed against Melbourne at times. Need to see much more.

What do you know, I've listed 8 teams in total. Wouldn't be surprised if the final 8 is made up of these ones. Yes, I know, hardly a gutsy call, and I'm almost certainly going to be wrong as form will change over the year, but it wouldn't be too surprising either if the final 8 is similarish to this. There are a couple of other teams that would have the potential to make it into the 8, but they seriously have to lift from their current form to do so (or hope one of these teams drops their form).

What a stretch. You've put up 2 teams that haven't lost a game, and 3 teams that are 2-1 but have played seemingly good games. Amazing insight!
lol I was just starting a thread to get peoples discussing their opinions, I wasnt aiming to provide insight.

Hawthorn: weaker than last year, but they have some depth. They're a chance, but I think if they're to win it, it's going to largely be due to the mental strength of their opposition, and whether or not they're overawed in whatever final they're playing in.

Are you serious? I can see how that could be a factor, but surely if Hawthorn win it will largely be due to the fact that we still have arguably the best list in the league, and undoubtedly the best coach. Even looking at the last two GF's, those two factors were far more influential than Sydney/WC being overawed.

This reminds me of 2007. In R3 Geelong would not have been on anyone's radar for the premiership.

This time last year everyone would have had Collingwood in contention....

It is BigFooty

Are you serious? I can see how that could be a factor, but surely if Hawthorn win it will largely be due to the fact that we still have arguably the best list in the league, and undoubtedly the best coach. Even looking at the last two GF's, those two factors were far more influential than Sydney/WC being overawed.

In fairness to OP, we've won three in a row only due to the poor mental strength of opposition, so why not go round again for a 4th?

Yes all Hawk flags are bradburys, we bradburied 3 in a row!

Yes all Hawk flags are bradburys, we bradburied 3 in a row!
Only because of our home ground advantage too, don't forget.

Oh, and Stevic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness to OP, we've won three in a row only due to the poor mental strength of opposition, so why not go round again for a 4th?
Certainly there's a case, given the precedent, that the best way for Hawthorn's opponents to stop them winning a flag is to stop them making a GF in the first place.

You only just scraped into a couple anyway, but once you're there, you do seem to know how to win them.

(I'll say nighty-night now and snuggle up to my 2012 AFL Premiership piwwow case.)

What a stretch. You've put up 2 teams that haven't lost a game, and 3 teams that are 2-1 but have played seemingly good games. Amazing insight! >.>

Swans: have been around the mark for a few years now, and are playing the best they have in a while, as well as not being crippled on the injury front like they have been.

Quite frankly, those are the only 2 teams that I think have shown enough to be considered a contender early season. Looking at the others that some might consider contenders...

West Coast: haven't played too badly but put in a shocker against Hawthorn, and didn't play great a lot of the time against Fremantle. Will need to lift to be a serious chance.
Geelong: great first up win, but very ordinary followup the week after, while Brisbane isn't really a good enough measure at this point in time.
Gold Coast: I don't think anyone's really touting them yet, but that's for good reason given the quality of their opposition in the first 3 rounds. Round 5 against North will be the first time they come up against a team that will likely make the finals, so we'll get a better gauge of where they're at - though on paper, they're every chance to win that game.
Bulldogs: first 2 games aren't against teams I'd consider finals contenders this year (if Freo had played in rounds 1 through 9 like they did in rounds 10 through 23, they would've been towards the bottom of the 8 at best, and they've continued that form this year), though they put in a gutsy performance against Hawthorn (and probably should have won, but I digress). Need to see more of them against other teams likely to be in the finals.
Adelaide: good showing against North, though they ultimately lost, but their next 2 games were against teams that are performing below finals level at the minute. Need to see more.
North: good showing against Adelaide, but took a while before they gained the ascendancy against Brisbane, and they really lapsed against Melbourne at times. Need to see much more.

What do you know, I've listed 8 teams in total. Wouldn't be surprised if the final 8 is made up of these ones. Yes, I know, hardly a gutsy call, and I'm almost certainly going to be wrong as form will change over the year, but it wouldn't be too surprising either if the final 8 is similarish to this. There are a couple of other teams that would have the potential to make it into the 8, but they seriously have to lift from their current form to do so (or hope one of these teams drops their form).

Sydney contenders beating collingwood, carlton and GWS. Crows need to see more because they lost to north and beat rich, port? I'm not saying we're contenders but sydney really havent played anyone of note either if youre going to base it on that. I'd say we're sitting pretty even going off pretty incomparable results and this week will help shed some light

Remove this Banner Ad

Back