Who are the great whipping boys at each club in recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kent Kingsley.

(I kinda miss him...)

Hahaha...I remember going down to the Melbourne and Geelong drawn game at skilled stadium in 2006 I think. The funniest moment was before the game when the announcer reads out the Geelong players names, when he announced Kent Kingsley the Geelong supporters started booing him. Pure GOLD!!!!

But seriously this thread is owned Al Nicholson. How he ever lasted that long has me dumb founded

from melbourne it's mostly players who seem to have gone backwards in their development

P Johnson, Bell and Newton

Crows were really keen on Bell a year or 2 ago, u guys should have traded.

Arsene is right, for the Crows the classic whipping boy was Ian Perrie. He was a regular for years but as we all know his kicking let him down. He was not a fan favourite.

Lewis Roberts-Thomson
Paul Bevan
Luke Ablett
Henry Playfair
Amon Buchanan

Benny Mathews and Jared Crouch used to cop it too, undeservedly - legends.

Would anyone like to speculate about future whipping boys?

Is there a player on your list who seems destined to inherit the tag?
almost regardless of what chris masten does in his career, he will earn the ire of many eagles fans simply because he isn't chris judd.

Would any Brisbane supporter argue if I put up Jarrod Brennan? Can be spectacular at best, hair tearing fustration at worst. Aker copped it in his time when he couldn't deliver and the icing on the cake as most Dee's supporters would agree............Travis Johnstone!!

How can you say that?! He was basically the most frustrating player we've had, was getting brilliant delivery and still sucked. Couldn't take set shots, couldn't mark with his hands out (always had to take it on the chest just like an under 10s player). Why we kept him for as long as we did is beyond me. Even Richmond had the sense to basically get rid of him.

Current Geelong whipping boy.....

Mark Blake

...Mooney also copped a bit as well..

Kingsley was beyond useless. He kicked 2 goals in one glorious 8 game stretch in 2006 - and people were making excuses for him! I'll never forget the hideous shot at goal he took in the 2005 semi against Sydney. From all of 30 metres out. Soft, weak and pathetic.

It's no coincidence that the first year we did NOT have Kingsley, Gardiner and Playfair in the forward line was 2007. We went ok as a result too.

Back to current whipping boys......I'm amazed no one has mentioned Tom Hawkins. He's copped (and is still copping) plenty. He and Blake would be the two I'd nominate.

Blake deserves it though. The Tomahawk is no superstar but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out. He qualifies as a whipping boy. With Blake they're just stating the facts.

Blake's weakness - and I'll admit it's a big one - is his work around the ground. There's nothing wrong with his tapwork at all. Still needs to improve a lot obviously.

Couldn't agree more about Hawkins. Refreshing to see a sane post from an opposition supporter.

And for recent memory at Geelong, I just remembered - the winner would have to be Brad Ottens. Not by his own supporters, but this guy was crucified before he'd even played a game for us. Those critics (especially in the media) should take note of his key role in 2 premierships. And go feck themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back