Who are the league's best kicks?

Following on from a discussion started by Lance Uppercut in the AA thread, I'm wondering who you think the league's best kicks are?

When I say best kicks though, I'm not just talking about disposal efficiency. DE% seems to reward guys that are doing the 15m sideways kick - because it's hitting the target efficiently, thus a positive on your DE. Players doing more contested work and kicking to more one-on-ones and contests are naturally going to have lower DE%.

If I was going to nominate one from Melbourne, I'd suggest Jack Watts. Watts' kicking is brilliant. His field kicking is just sublime. He shows vision, accuracy but also a strong ability to kick to the biased side of contests - the side which will benefit his teammate the most at the contest. If anything, sometimes he tries to kick it too well and thread the needle, which can cause major turnovers. That said, the last part has less of a presence in his game at this point.

Some other ones IMO include Scott Pendlebury, Zach Merrett, Heath Shaw (who accumulates but also has real penetration in his kicking), Sam Docherty (see Shaw), Matt Suckling and Grant Birchall.

Thoughts?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Don't really rate Suckling.
Has a 1 in 10 Hail Mary that comes off but not much consistency.
Sam Mitchell and Ryan Burton are 2 that I rate when factoring in decision making and consistency of disposal. Bob Murphy is the only other that immediately springs to mind (sure there are others in addition to those mentioned in the OP just having a mental blank atm)

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What are Sucklings stats? The just few times I've watched him his kicks have been ordinary.
His kicking is massively over rated. Shanks every second kick. Only comes up in these conversations because of his unique kicking style, so when he nails one you really remember it.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
His kicking is massively over rated. Shanks every second kick. Only comes up in these conversations because of his unique kicking style, so when he nails one you really remember it.
I think it works the opposite. Due to his unique kicking style and nature of picking extremely hard options (encouraged by the coaching staff to break open a press), his really bad kicks stick out like a sore thumb and look quite terrible. His clanger numbers are quite low and he stills pulls off kicks that IMO no one else in the comp can, let alone consider trying.

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
In no particular order off the top of my head:

Tex walker, Pendlebury, Duncan, Motlop, Shaw, Kelly, Watts, Buddy, Jetta, Hurn (not so much anymore), S Mitchell

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Field
Sam Mitchell, Merrett, Ablett, Watts and Pendles are my top 5

Goal Kicks
Buddy, Patton, Lynch & Wright would be the 3 i rate best.

As for the Essendon players
Goddard, Hurley, Tippa, Parish, Langford and Fantasia would be the best behind Merrett

Last edited:

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Has Goddard's kicking dropped off that much that Bombers fans have completely forgotten about him? Has been an elite kick for his career.

Back