Opinion Who are the League's most UNDERRATED Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t a real delisting. Gold Coast had a contract in front of him and Brisbane offered him a much bigger deal after the trade period had finished so they did the right thing by him and let him go.

Well, it was presented like a delisting to the media and fans. Even if it did indeed go the way you said, why give a low-ball offer to a 26-year-old mid who would probably be your best player?

Probably been mentioned in here somewhere, but Liam Shiels was probably best on ground (along with Wingard) for us against Brisbane on Sunday.

206 games. (Now top 30 for most games played at Hawthorn).
3 time premiership player.
Top 5 for most tackles in the last decade.

Has been one of our best leaders and most reliable players since the core stars of the three-peat retired. Was a hugely important part of those flags too.

Probably been mentioned in here somewhere, but Liam Shiels was probably best on ground (along with Wingard) for us against Brisbane on Sunday.

206 games. (Now top 30 for most games played at Hawthorn).
3 time premiership player.
Top 5 for most tackles in the last decade.

Has been one of our best leaders and most reliable players since the core stars of the three-peat retired. Was a hugely important part of those flags too.

think you’ll be hard pressed to find an oppo fan who agrees with you. Servicable, has played his role throughout a successful period but no star. Rated fairly IMO

I dunno about MOST underrated, but Tim Membrey is up there.

He's never going to kick enough goals to be a media darling, however he does so many 1%ers around contests.

He also often plays way up the ground to give us an option and is rarely out-marked in a contest, seems to always be able to bring the ball to ground at the very least.

For us, Mitch Duncan. A star without getting the recognition of being a star. Elite kick, kicks goals, plays nearly any position to aplomb, and still never All Australian or Best and Fairest. Has always done the team thing, at the expense of his own career. Gave up his spot on the inside to T. Kelly, after a season where he dominated with 29 disposals a game and made the AA squad. Always gets named as the 'forgotten man', but never gets his deserved recognition. Would be a star and first midfielder at a lot of other clubs.

Adam Saad easily, should have been all Australian last year. People often only seem to acknowledge him for his pace and flare but overlook his actual defending capabilities, will put your best small forward on locks, with out a doubt the best small defender in the league.

Adam Saad easily, should have been all Australian last year. People often only seem to acknowledge him for his pace and flare but overlook his actual defending capabilities, will put your best small forward on locks, with out a doubt the best small defender in the league.
Does he hit targets enough?

Seems to always run into trouble and give the ball back IMO. He's exciting, but calm ya farm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

think you’ll be hard pressed to find an oppo fan who agrees with you. Servicable, has played his role throughout a successful period but no star. Rated fairly IMO

What about Luke Breust. Is he underrated? One of only three current players to kick 30+ goals nine years in a row since 2011. Franklin and J.Riewoldt are the other two players.

Breust is sitting 9th in the Hawks top 10 goal kickers of all time and didn’t play any games in 2009 and 2010.

What about Luke Breust. Is he underrated? One of only three current players to kick 30+ goals nine years in a row since 2011. Franklin and J.Riewoldt are the other two players.

Breust is sitting 9th in the Hawks top 10 goal kickers of all time and didn’t play any games in 2009 and 2010.

Very Decent shout. Often accused of being a down hill skier unfairly by oppo fans, most likely me at some stage too I imagine. Has been a very good forward for a long time now.

Adam Saad isn't a better small defender than Neville Jetta.

He's comfortably 3rd in small forwards in the 2000's IMO, and could easily take over Milne/Betts too.

From us I'd say Saad's actual defensive prowess is underrated. He averaged less than 1 goal/game last year against the best smalls including Cameron, Walters, Breust, Greene (round 1, before his midfield move) and Papley.
As an overall package, Mason Redman is a jet. Quick, good skills, solid defensively. I'd say his issues would be not finding enough of the ball and he's not a great mark.
Patrick Ambrose is a good shut down defender. Probably our best.

Breust is a great player, week in week out. So much class and does it all. Has flown under the radar because he does what he does every week without much fuss from the commentators (compared to say Greene, GWS). Edwards is the same for us. If I was an opposition coach, he'd be the first player I'd tag because he cuts you up and nobody notices half the time.

He's comfortably 3rd in small forwards in the 2000's IMO, and could easily take over Milne/Betts too.

From us I'd say Saad's actual defensive prowess is underrated. He averaged less than 1 goal/game last year against the best smalls including Cameron, Walters, Breust, Greene (round 1, before his midfield move) and Papley.
As an overall package, Mason Redman is a jet. Quick, good skills, solid defensively. I'd say his issues would be not finding enough of the ball and he's not a great mark.
Patrick Ambrose is a good shut down defender. Probably our best.
I am a huge fan of Redman, love how he goes about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back