Opinion Who are the League's most UNDERRATED Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Still think Hurn is underrated, probably the best kick in the game.
I'd go Whitfield purely because of his dual sidedness. Hurn a close second though.

Who doesn't rate Prestia?
Plenty. In the best mids in the comp thread, hardly raised a hand. In so many games last year I thought he was best on ground, and rarely got noticed by the media, and certainly not the umps. When Neale had 54 possessions against us, Prestia was easily the most influential player on the ground. No votes.
Against Cripps in 2019 Prestia got the three votes by the umps. Against in r.1 this year, Prestia got the 10 coaches votes, but all the commentators could talk about was how good Cripps was. Obviously the 3 votes usually goes to the winning side, but given the status of Cripps in the game, he in good company.
Won Richmonds B&F in a canter. Just doesn't make a mistake, lose a contest or waste a possession.

Last edited:
Who doesn't rate Prestia?
I appreciate your observation eth - if you personally rate him, then you obviously watch Richmond games more closely than astutely than many others. But to answer your question, the AA selectors for starters. Prestia was clearly the best player all season for the premiership team, but clearly didn't have the sex appeal of the other 8-10 mids who got named ahead of him. Some punters (including Tigers supporters I might add) were even touting Dusty in front of him for selection, such was their default response when asked who was Richmond's key playmaker all season.

Cunnington's a bit the same at the Roos ... I'm no North supporter but how he wasn't AA last year is just down to a lack of footy sexiness.

I appreciate your observation eth - if you personally rate him, then you obviously watch Richmond games more closely than astutely than many others. But to answer your question, the AA selectors for starters. Prestia was clearly the best player all season for the premiership team, but clearly didn't have the sex appeal of the other 8-10 mids who got named ahead of him. Some punters (including Tigers supporters I might add) were even touting Dusty in front of him for selection, such was their default response when asked who was Richmond's key playmaker all season.

Cunnington's a bit the same at the Roos ... I'm no North supporter but how he wasn't AA last year is just down to a lack of footy sexiness.
I wouldn't say he's in the top 10 mids in the game but he's firmly entrenched in the 11-20 grouping. He's a jet.

David Cuningham - smooth mover and user who's really helped the Blues

Robbie Fox - due to come back soon to the Swans side, honest as the day is long

Isaac Cumming - a solid all round player with a really great kick
Wil Powell - as above

Lachie Keeffe and Jack Buckley - replaced Davis and Haynes and are in better form than they were. Turns out the Giants backline was massively overrated because they never took the game on and packed the backline to give Haynes intercept marks rather than scoring

Jamie Cripps - annoyingly good

Ethan Hughes and Brandon Starcevich - 2 of my favourite lock down defenders

Brad Close - handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Wines has become one of the competitions premier inside mids, since round 9 last year has been in the top ten of Campion data ratings on average and is averaging 6cls and 31d a game.

From north it's gotta be Ben Cunnington and Robbie Tarrant. Both been long time a graders but rarely get mentioned.
Cunnington is an absolute beast, with skills. Then you watch the highly rated Cripps and realise commentatoes dont know s**t abt football.

From north it's gotta be Ben Cunnington and Robbie Tarrant. Both been long time a graders but rarely get mentioned.
Is Cunnington not one of the most accurately rated players in the comp?

I think everyone knows he is one of the absolute best inside/contested mids on the comp. That is his role and he is one of the best at it.

If I had to nominate one from each club

Adelaide - has to be Brodie Smith for mine. Been a good player for a long time.
Brisbane - McLuggage. Has to be in the discussion for All Australian soon.
Collingwood - Crisp
Carlton - Ed Curnow
Gold Coast - Greenwood
GWS - Perryman
Geelong - Cam Guthrie
Essendon - Redman
Fremantle - Luke Ryan
Hawthorn - Hardwick
North Melb - Tarrant
Melbourne - Hibberd
Port - Houston
Richmond - Liam Baker. Little legend of a player
Sydney - Rampe
St Kilda - Seb Ross
West Coast - Barrass
Western Bulldogs - Jack Macrae but I think he's finally getting his plaudits

If I had to nominate one from each club

Adelaide - has to be Brodie Smith for mine. Been a good player for a long time.
Brisbane - McLuggage. Has to be in the discussion for All Australian soon.
Collingwood - Crisp
Carlton - Ed Curnow
Gold Coast - Greenwood
GWS - Perryman
Geelong - Cam Guthrie
Essendon - Redman
Fremantle - Luke Ryan
Hawthorn - Hardwick
North Melb - Tarrant
Melbourne - Hibberd
Port - Houston
Richmond - Liam Baker. Little legend of a player
Sydney - Rampe
St Kilda - Seb Ross
West Coast - Barrass
Western Bulldogs - Jack Macrae but I think he's finally getting his plaudits
Macrae under rated you reckon? Don't think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back