Opinion Who are the League's most UNDERRATED Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree with both of these calls. I think it's agreed by everyone that they are both excellent players, albeit solid, no-frills, unspectacular types. Just because they aren't hyped up as superstars of the comp, that doesn't make them underrated. Channel 7 buffoons always crap on about Geelong's elite superstars: Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins, but when the pundits get serious about discussing the Cats, the talk quickly turns to their consistent midfielders, Duncan and Guthrie, plus Stewart and Blicavs in defence.

I don't who you'd class as underrated from the Cats. They're in the Top 4 every year. Most of their players are rated about right. Maybe some of their younger less-heralded players such Jack Henry, Jed Bews, Gryan Miers or Brandon Parfitt. But even these guys... are they really that underrated?

Miers is. There’s question marks about his physicality which is fair he can squib it from time to time but in general for the role he plays he’s been fantastic for a player of his experience but he gets ragged on a LOT

I do see your point with the explanation about the other guys

This thread is further evidence for Brandon Ellis.

This weekend against Collingwood his stats were.
35 Disposals
97% Disposal Efficiency
16 Marks
5 Tackles
1 Goal

Just about every Pies inside 50 he was there to cut them off, clean up the ball and set up our counter attack. Without Ellis the Pies beat us comfortably in my opinion.
Having a great year but wouldn't call him underrated he does do a cheap kicks around the blackline which can inflate the stats a bit but he has brought composure to the Suns.

I feel like when watching a game I only hear about Danger, Selwood and more recently Duncan.

He's taken a while to get going, but he's backed up last year and is a borderline top 10 mid at the moment, but I don't see that level of praise.

Commentary lags behind performance by a couple of years, you can't expect them to be up to date on the players they get paid to commentate on.

Jacob Weitering from my club. Has grown into an absolute class defender. Great Hands and great kick.
Just likes to about his business with minimum fanfare though. Current B & F, but he'd be happy with Walsh & McKay getting all of the attention.

Always thought Lachie Weller was a neat player that you don’t hear much about.

Quite dangerous with his pace and disposal.
When he's on he looks like an absolute star. He's just goes missing too much, and for long periods. If he can close that gap he'll become a very big asset for the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't watch many Geelong games, but when I do Jordan Clark always seems to be doing something. No idea how he doesn't get a game some weeks.

Don't watch many Geelong games, but when I do Jordan Clark always seems to be doing something. No idea how he doesn't get a game some weeks.

Turns the ball over, makes really bad mistakes, a little soft... He's a good athlete, but not the most natural footballer. Has moments of brilliance though, and knows how to use his pace when required. Can also kick long goals.

I can see why he hasn't quite cemented a spot.

Matt Taberner. Obviously had a few years where he wasn't... great. But full credit to the bloke. He worked his bloody ass off, despite constant criticism and backlash, and now seeing the results as a reliable and consistent, strong marking KPF.

Literally every single Richmond player not named Dusty.

Top 5 underrated at Tigerland

1. Vlastuin
2. Grimes
3. Baker
4. McIntosh
5. Nankveris

People have begun to rank Edwards, Bolton, Graham, Short who were all once underrated too.

Whole league rankings....

1. Touk Miller
2. Ed Langdon
3. Brody Mihochek
4. Luke McDonald
5. Lachie Hunter

Always thought Lachie Weller was a neat player that you don’t hear much about.

Quite dangerous with his pace and disposal.

Copped a bit of s**t on here when Gold Coast traded pick 2 for him, despite the fact that he was a 21 year old former first round pick that was best 22 at Freo and actually wanted to join Gold Coast when Saad and Ablett just left and O'Meara and Prestia left the year before.

Turns the ball over, makes really bad mistakes, a little soft... He's a good athlete, but not the most natural footballer. Has moments of brilliance though, and knows how to use his pace when required. Can also kick long goals.

I can see why he hasn't quite cemented a spot.

Yeah, he is not there yet. Does seem to take a while for our young players to find their way.

There are two players for us I remember making horrible mistakes by foot in their first year with us, Tom Stewart and Harry Taylor. They worked out alright.

Copped a bit of sh*t on here when Gold Coast traded pick 2 for him, despite the fact that he was a 21 year old former first round pick that was best 22 at Freo and actually wanted to join Gold Coast when Saad and Ablett just left and O'Meara and Prestia left the year before.
Didn't even end up being that bad of a trade for us.

We got Weller and 42 (which ended up being Charlie Ballard) for 2 (Brayshaw)

Touk Miller, Darcy Gardiner, Cam Guthrie, Oliver Florent, Jarryd Lyons and Nick Haynes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back