Strategy Who are the moneyball players we should look closer at.

If you had to pick just one, who would it be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Robertson for a pick in the 50's is probably fine, but anything more would make me sick.
He would be in a similar boat as a Witho, Langdon, SPP or Ah Chee.
Where you don't know if they will make it but willing to give them a chance for a low pick.
If Brisbane are offering 2 years and we have to offer him a better deal to convince him to come to us, especially if he has no specific interest in returning to WA, we should walk away.

People forget Redden was a gun. Finals MVP with Yeo in 2018, Best and Fairest at the Lions, had some huge games for us with 30+ and 15+ contested possessions. Robertson, Culley etc.. shouldn't be compared to Redden.

What are you talking about?

Redden was a good solid player at the Lions. He never won a B&F (best finish was 3rd). He was pretty much the same player at the Lions, that he was at the Eagles.

You're talking about finals MVP and some great games he played for us. You can't compare his whole career to Dev's first 3 seasons.

The reason they are compared:

That Redden role, is a role. Stenglein played it. Liberatore at the dogs plays it. Big bodied defensive mid. That's what people are hoping Dev will turn into. No one is comparing stats. While such players are relatively easy to come by, we need someone sooner rather than later. Our midfield is getting monstered because TK is outside, Gaff is a spud, and Sheed stands around with his dick in his hands.

Last edited:
Robertson for a pick in the 50's is probably fine, but anything more would make me sick.
He would be in a similar boat as a Witho, Langdon, SPP or Ah Chee.
Where you don't know if they will make it but willing to give them a chance for a low pick.
If Brisbane are offering 2 years and we have to offer him a better deal to convince him to come to us, especially if he has no specific interest in returning to WA, we should walk away.
I've heard we've already offered him 4. if that's true, my concern is it pushes his price up into a territory that we don't want to hand over.

Money isn't the issue. We have plenty cap space to lure whoever we want. It's draft capital we must protect.

Dow would be good for us, but not for what it would cost us in draft capital.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
My other problem with Dow is his age profile. He's a possession monkey with 8/9 years left (he's got a bit of Tom Mitchell about him). If we have to, I'd prefer a 30 year old with 2 years left who won't be needed in 2 years time (and only costs a throway pick).

I've heard we've already offered him 4. if that's true, my concern is it pushes his price up into a territory that we don't want to hand over.

FWIW, Ryan Daniels has said we haven’t offered Robertson 4 years

30 year olds worth giving a year or 2

30 YEARS OLD

Jarrod Witts, Tom McDonald, Scott Lycett, Dion Prestia, Luke Parker, Tom J. Lynch, Jason Johannisen, David Swallow, Ben Brown, Nathan Wilson, Nic Newman, Brody Mihocek, Rory Lobb, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Tom Stewart, Jeremy Cameron, Joel Hamling, Nathan Broad, Robbie Fox, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Sebastian Ross, Lachie Neale, Tom Mitchell, Matt Taberner, Jimmy Webster, Marcus Adams, Bradley Hill, Chad Wingard, Brandon Ellis, Darcy Fort, Adam Tomlinson, Sam Frost, Will Hoskin-Elliott

29 YEARS OLD
Mason Wood, Taylor Adams, Jake Lloyd, Toby Greene, Elliot Yeo, Jack Crisp, Sam Docherty, Lincoln McCarthy, Alex Sexton, Harry Cunningham, Jed Bews, Stephen Coniglio, Hayden Crozier, Rory Laird, Brad Crouch, Jake Stein, Jed Anderson, Jaeger O'Meara, Joe Daniher, James Stewart, Mitch Hannan, Tom Clurey, Tim O'Brien, Kamdyn McIntosh, Jack Viney, Brodie Grundy, Nick Vlastuin, Jake Stringer, Aidan Corr, Tim Membrey, Sam Collins, Charlie Cameron, Oscar McInerney, Rory Atkins, Lachie Whitfield, Adam Saad, Tim Kelly, Jack Macrae, Toby Nankervis, Nick Hind, Aliir Aliir

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only 3 things common to Redden and Robertson are that they both played for Brisbane, both were picks in the 20s and both surnames start with R.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep seeing a Redden comparison for Robertson but I have seen nothing in Dev's career thus far that is remotely similar to Redden's game style or output.

This is a comparison of Redden's 4th year in 2012 and Robertson's 4th year in 2023. Yes there is the argument that Robertson is being played out of position but if he was good enough to play midfield as a 22 year old then he would be - like Redden was.

View attachment 1799023

Its the role Robertson would be coming in to play.

And comparing stats of a different era with players playing vastly different roles doesnt tell the story.

Stats alone often dont.

Ok, so they're both not big bodied defensive mids. Silly me.

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sturts Tom Lewis?

Tackle clearance machine.

23yo

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Too good looking. Will be my Wifes new fav. Pass!

Seriously though, insane tackle numbers and very good at clearances but shithouse disposal efficiency.
I'd want him to be more like Pridda and find an extra 10 possie a game.

Back