Strategy Who are the moneyball players we should look closer at.

If you had to pick just one, who would it be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people keep saying that Deven Robertson is a "big bodied" midfielder?

He's listed as 185cm and 84kg. For reference, that's marginally bigger than Andrew Gaff (184cm/83kg) and marginally smaller than Dom Sheed (186cm/86kg). That's pretty much a bog-average midfielder size.

When I think of "big bodied midfielder", I'm thinking of Bontempelli, Patrick Cripps, Nat Fyfe, Elliot Yeo, Patrick Dangerfield, etc. Not someone basically the same size as Dom Sheed.

55e3d3721fe74d74abd4dc69c61b79b1

Explode Fran Healy GIF by Travis

He's listed as 185cm and 84kg. For reference, that's marginally bigger than Andrew Gaff (184cm/83kg) and marginally smaller than Dom Sheed (186cm/86kg). That's pretty much a bog-average midfielder size.

When I think of "big bodied midfielder", I'm thinking of Bontempelli, Patrick Cripps, Nat Fyfe, Elliot Yeo, Patrick Dangerfield, etc. Not someone basically the same size as Dom Sheed.

Robertson (184cm) is a big bodied midfielder. Redden who is 5-6cm taller than Robertson was also a big bodied mid. Basically, anybody bigger than Noah Long is a big bodied mid.

He's 22ish and already pretty big. He'll get bigger and stronger.

When you say bigger you mean that he will get heavier and bulkier? Isn’t this going to make him even slower than he is currently? He won’t get any taller.
Why don't I put it a different way:

A 26 year old body after 7 years in the AFL

v.

A 22 year old body after 3 years in the AFL

As for speed, we're not asking him to be a 30 touch dominant midfielder like Pendles or Miller, nor bull like Danger or Fyfe. Just a solid guy, with a big body, who knows where to run to, can lay a tackle, and gets 20 touches a game. A support worker like Redden and Stengelin (I don't think either of those guys are quick).

Why don't I put it a different way:

A 26 year old body after 7 years in the AFL

v.

A 22 year old body after 3 years in the AFL

As for speed, we're not asking him to be a 30 touch dominant midfielder like Pendles or Miller, nor bull like Danger or Fyfe. Just a solid guy, with a big body, who knows where to run to, can lay a tackle, and gets 20 touches a game. A support worker like Redden and Stengelin (I don't think either of those guys are quick).

So we are not expecting him to chase or do anything of that sort but expect him to get 20 touches a game, which is something he has never done in 39 AFL games in 4 (not 3) seasons? Seems to me that we can easily find younger, better and cheaper players than Robertson for the role you just described.

Too good looking. Will be my Wifes new fav. Pass!

So what you are saying is that we wont be able to draft a single player this year.

Given that all this years draft cohort will be better looking than you.

So what you are saying is that we wont be able to draft a single player this year.

Given that all this years draft cohort will be better looking than you.

Well on this criteria we’d still be able to draft a Clayton Oliver type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard there is a tall guy at a shop in Perth.

Might be worth a shot.

Damn, I could be on the recruiting team.

Is it a pie shop ?

If so, he might be already be know to the recruiting team.

Generally agree. Consider "big-bodied" for midfielders to be 190cm+ and 90kg+

That said, it's clearly evident that a midfielder with the physique of D.Robertson would have more strength around contested situations than Sheed or Gaff.

So we are not expecting him to chase or do anything of that sort but expect him to get 20 touches a game, which is something he has never done in 39 AFL games in 4 (not 3) seasons? Seems to me that we can easily find younger, better and cheaper players than Robertson for the role you just described.
The expectation is he plays the Redden role. He might not be good enough. That's what happens when you trade players in with 4th rounders.

Have always liked the idea of bringing in Robertson, but as the season has gone on longer I have my doubts. He has been given multiple opportunities in Brisbane's midfield. Although down the pecking order, he doesn't seem to grab these opportunities. Unless we get him for basically nothing, I think he is one we can pass up on and go to the draft.

James Jorden is one that could be a good get.

He’d be handy especially as an UFA but suspect there’ll be a decent queue for his signature

Maybe Hunt can have a word in his ear

Yeah.... I'm still not seeing it with Robertson.

If he was already on the list, I probably wouldn't delist him. But I wouldn't be trading for him, and I sure wouldn't give him a 4 year deal. Seems like the very definition of a 'nothing' player.

Yeah.... I'm still not seeing it with Robertson.

If he was already on the list, I probably wouldn't delist him. But I wouldn't be trading for him, and I sure wouldn't give him a 4 year deal. Seems like the very definition of a 'nothing' player.
You're not meant to see it though. That's why we get him cheap - because he could very much be a dud. At some points we will need to take speculative picks.

We really do need a mature-ish defensive mid. We don't want Ginbey doing it again - we want him freed up a little.

Robertson I like as a defensive midfielder. He’s not going to be an A grade inside midfielder, but with a run with role I can see him as a Mark Hutchings type of midfielder- aka someone who can play a tough lockdown role but find a bit of the ball himself. Being in that role should see him play more inside and I think would give us a bit of balance to Hewett, Reid (should we pick him) & Kelly playing more forward of centre and Ginbey on the inside.

He’s more physical and better defensively than Sheed off a wing as well, albeit Sheed is a better kick in space.

Robertson I like as a defensive midfielder. He’s not going to be an A grade inside midfielder, but with a run with role I can see him as a Mark Hutchings type of midfielder- aka someone who can play a tough lockdown role but find a bit of the ball himself. Being in that role should see him play more inside and I think would give us a bit of balance to Hewett, Reid (should we pick him) & Kelly playing more forward of centre and Ginbey on the inside.

He’s more physical and better defensively than Sheed off a wing as well, albeit Sheed is a better kick in space.
Pretty sure Hutchings, Sheed, and Dev Robbo are all different types of midfielder. Hutchings and Sheed have similarities, but Dev is more defensive and getting the hard ball. I don't think he's a link/wing player either.

Remember what Ginbey did last year? In and under, in tight, tackling, winning the hard ball and feeding a hand pass? We need someone to do that so Ginbey can play a more balanced role (turn some of that inside into outside). We don't have a player who can do that (apart from Ginbey). Maybe Dev Robbo, maybe someone else. We're not looking for a superstar here, just someone who can force a stoppage if needed, win some hard ball, make it hard for the opposition to easily win the contested ball. Hobbs is doing it at Essendon.

Back