Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for those who don't think Tom Mitchell isn't in the conversation...

As an inside midfielder this year he's collected a full 40 disposals more than the next best. 40 disposals - that's a pretty big games worth.
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 8.57.15 AM.png

But before we have all the "yeah but what does he do with it" posts. He also leads midfielders in effective disposals by 24 disposals.
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 8.57.44 AM.png

And sadly I don't have access to stats like 'metres gained' - which I don't think he ranks well in - but apparently he ranks very highly in 'assisted metres gained', which makes sense for a fulltime inside midfielder.

Now I'm not saying his high ranking for midfielders in these stats means he's the best mid in the comp or anything. Just saying it makes him worthy of people putting him in their top 10 here if they so choose. If they don't want to, that's perfectly reasonable too. There's plenty of ways to measure the worth of a midfielder.

1, Pendles
2, Treloar
3, Sidebottom
4, Adams
5, Grundy*

I can't think of any others to make a list of 10.

*Although he's a ruckman, he plays like a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You havent watched billings this year nor watching the game today, he'd have to be a pretty salty saint to still care about that, especially when bont wasnt in top 5 conversation until the last week of the draft

I've seen enough of Billings to know Bont has been, is, and will always be a better player. We've been hearing Saints fans for years telling us the opposite. It's an in joke. Don't know why a Hawk fan would give a stuff.

Just for those who don't think Tom Mitchell isn't in the conversation...

As an inside midfielder this year he's collected a full 40 disposals more than the next best. 40 disposals - that's a pretty big games worth.
View attachment 385338

But before we have all the "yeah but what does he do with it" posts. He also leads midfielders in effective disposals by 24 disposals.
View attachment 385339

And sadly I don't have access to stats like 'metres gained' - which I don't think he ranks well in - but apparently he ranks very highly in 'assisted metres gained', which makes sense for a fulltime inside midfielder.

Now I'm not saying his high ranking for midfielders in these stats means he's the best mid in the comp or anything. Just saying it makes him worthy of people putting him in their top 10 here if they so choose. If they don't want to, that's perfectly reasonable too. There's plenty of ways to measure the worth of a midfielder.

1. T.Mitchell
2. T.Mitchell
3. T.Mitchell
4. M.Titchell
5. T.Mitchell
6. T.Mitchell
7. T.Mitchell
8. T.Mitchell
9. T.Mitchell
10. T.Mitchell

I hope this can satisfy your need for anonymous Bigfooty posters to rate Tom Mitchell in the top 10 best midfielders of the competition.

1. Dangerfield
2. Ablett
3. Pendlebury
4. Kennedy
5. Fyfe
6. Sloane
7. Selwood
8. Martin
9. Bontempelli
10. Merrett

Finding the right balance is difficult. If I was to rate every available player at their peak then it'd be Ablett, Dangerfield and Fyfe in the top three positions. If I rated it purely on this season then Martin would jump to second and Fyfe might not even be top ten. I've tried to weigh the list with regards to performance over the past two or three seasons - the one exception being Ablett who I firmly believe is a top 10 player but was unfortunately injured.

Bontempelli and Merrett are probably my most questionable choices. Could have easily been someone like Parker or Hannebery. But I was super impressed by Bontempelli in 2015 - 2016 and Merrett 2016 - 2017 and believe both were playing at an All-Australian level during those seasons.

1 - Patrick Dangerfield
2 - Josh Kennedy
3 - Scott Pendlebury
4 - Joel Selwood
5 - Gary Ablett
6 - Dustin Martin
7 - Marcus Bontempelli
8 - Rory Sloane
9 - Nat Fyfe
10 - Tom Mitchell

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Josh P. Kennedy
3. Joel Selwood
4. Scott Pendlebury
5. Dustin Martin
6. Gary Ablett
7. Josh Kelly
8. Dylan Shiel
9. Dayne Zorko
10. Callan Ward

1. Danger
2. Selwood
3. Martin
4. Ablett
5, Cripps
6. Bont
7. Merret
8. and Shuey as well
9. and Oliver too
10. and Kelly as well

For a mid, he averages about 20 possies a game this year. Those ratings reflect his one good year, last season. Has had a shocker this year.

You've got to be kidding. His first 6-7 weeks were elite. He was BOG on the weekend. His 2015 was also very good. He came 2nd in the rising star in 2014. You are talking BOLLOCKS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back