Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

All those players are better midfielders than Wines, Gibbs, Sidebottom & Cotchin.
Pro tip.

If your going for an all time list at least order it better. Ablett is no.1

Otherwise maybe watch some 2018 footy and adjust your bias.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pro tip.

If your going for an all time list at least order it better. Ablett is no.1

Otherwise maybe watch some 2018 footy and adjust your bias.

My list is the order of those players in 2018 when fit.

No need to be arrogant when all you have done is look at 2018 Supercoach scores.

My list is the order of those players in 2018 when fit.

No need to be arrogant when all you have done is look at 2018 Supercoach scores.
Doesn't pass the eye test so far. Yours is hypothetical not exposed form?

You're clearly oblivious to your own hypocrisy.

If your list is going off exposed form, Dangerfield would not be #1 in 2018.
Now were talking, so if he isnt no.1 who is?

Probably in the 20s somewhere, probably the most overrated player I have seen in my life (maybe Cyril excluded)
His consistency is glorious I'll admit but the guy has only once been the best midfielder in his team and that year he was routinely tagged out of games and Geelong didn't make the finals.

His accolades stack up with some of the greatest players to play the game but this mostly because of the poor standard of the AFL commentariat. Last years AA team was a perfect example, many Geelong fans would admit that Mitch Duncan deserved a spot more than Selwood. Despite this Mitch missed out completely and Joel was AA captain.

All the good things he does seems to get highlighted endlessly to the point when even the simple plays are accompanied by gushes and pointless praise ("how good is he ey", "no one is tougher than Joel", "absolute star") from whatever hack is colour commentating for channel seven. Conversely when he stuffs up there's crickets, anybody else see him bomb the ball away without looking under no direct pressure in red time against the eagles a couple of weeks ago? Nearly anybody else would of been criticized for helping to throw the game away in crunch time but not Selwood, never.

Why doesn't Nathan Jones or Jack Stevens get praise for every hard ball and clearance they get? Players like that also have to deal tags because they are the actual engine of their teams and when they dont rise above it and perform they lose, they dont have better teammates to lean on.

Awesome player, Id love him at Port but to have him in the top 10 let alone top 5 like most pundits is wrong, and that's been the case his whole career.

To all those very sensitive Richmond fans I would take Cotchin over Selwood.

This post is spot on .

Especially the point about him only being the clubs best midfielder for one year only , and that year coinciding with him having a crap y at and the cats missing the finals .

When comparing him with cotchin he comes up short in pretty much every category .

Very much overrated

You’d be one of a very small percentage to take Cotchin over Selwood.

You state he is an awesome player who is gloriously consistent and then mention Nathan Jones and Jack a Steven in the same breath. If you believe this you’re deluded.

If the knocks you have on Selwood actually hold up, then why don’t they apply to Cotchin? The only times Cotchin has been his teams best midfielder, his team never won a final (if they even qualified).

And did you see the way he chose to kick into a 7 goal breeze that time...

Lol.

You’d be one of a very small percentage to take Cotchin over Selwood.

You state he is an awesome player who is gloriously consistent and then mention Nathan Jones and Jack a Steven in the same breath. If you believe this you’re deluded.

If the knocks you have on Selwood actually hold up, then why don’t they apply to Cotchin? The only times Cotchin has been his teams best midfielder, his team never won a final (if they even qualified).

And did you see the way he chose to kick into a 7 goal breeze that time...

Cotchin unlike selwood won a brownlow , and was clearly his teams best player up until 2 years ago .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin unlike selwood won a brownlow , and was clearly his teams best player up until 2 years ago .
Which proves what exactly? or are you seriously trying to suggest Cotchin is fit to lick Selwoods toe jam career wise? (Which knowing your posting history wouldn't surprise me).

Which proves what exactly? or are you seriously trying to suggest Cotchin is fit to lick Selwoods toe jam career wise? (Which knowing your posting history wouldn't surprise me).
Not saying his career equals Selwood's but he did win 3 club B & F in a row from 2011,12 & 14, including a Brownlow, but had two poor years by his standards 2015-16. People seem to judge him on his two poor years.

Not saying his career equals Selwood's but he did win 3 club B & F in a row from 2011,12 & 14, including a Brownlow, but had two poor years by his standards 2015-16. People seem to judge him on his two poor years.

Cotchin’s B&Fs are like Judd’s bar one.

One of the most fascinating things I find on Bigfooty is just how remarkably skewed arguments can be made if it is to do with your team.

To every single other person in the world winning B&F`s in 2011, 2012 and 2014 is not “3 in a row”. But when you're arguing for your player it suddenly makes sense that despite the awards were clearly and very obviously not in a row, you still claim that they are.

Fascinating. And we all do it - this is just a good example.

One of the most fascinating things I find on Bigfooty is just how remarkably skewed arguments can be made if it is to do with your team.

To every single other person in the world winning B&F`s in 2011, 2012 and 2014 is not “3 in a row”. But when you're arguing for your player it suddenly makes sense that despite the awards were clearly and very obviously not in a row, you still claim that they are.

Fascinating. And we all do it - this is just a good example.
Wow, okay my mistake, 3 in 4 years.... I hope you were just trying to be funny.

List of genuinely elite players Cotchin has to compete with for that title through his career:

- Dustin Martin
- Alex Rance

Do I really need to bother going trough Selwood’s list?
I'm not suggesting he's as good as Selwood, just saying that people mark him down because he had a couple of average years and forget how good he was as a young player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back