Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont even think he's the best midfielder in the North side. Surely that's Cunnington.
Higgins could still be top ten, he's very good.. Interesting if North supporters would prefer him to Kelly though.

Higgins, Cunnington and Kelly would be an immense starting midfield.

Higgins, Cunnington and Kelly would be an immense starting midfield.
I think Kelly in anyone's starting midfield would be immense. Maybe excluding St Kilda.

For example:
Dogs - Macrae, Bont, Kelly = damn!
Sydney - JPK, Parker, Kelly = damn!
Pies - Sidebottom, Pendles, Kelly = damn!
Freo - Fyfe, Neale, Kelly = damn!
Gee - Danger, Selwood, Kelly = same as now
Melb - Jones, Oliver, Kelly
Ade - Gibbs, Sloane, Kelly
WC - Shuey, Gaff, Kelly

You get the point.

I dont even think he's the best midfielder in the North side. Surely that's Cunnington.
Higgins could still be top ten, he's very good.. Interesting if North supporters would prefer him to Kelly though.

I'd prefer Higgins to Kelly. In saying that, one's in his early 20s and the other is 30.

According to the AA squad of 40 it's out of the following:

Beams
Cripps
Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Devon Smith
Neale
Dangerfield
Ward
Whitfield
Tom Mitchell
Oliver
Higgins
Gray
Cotchin
Edwards
Lambert
Dustin Martin
Gaff
Yeo
Macrae

Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Mitchell, Cripps, Oliver, Kelly + 3 more I reckon.

According to the AA squad of 40 it's out of the following:

Beams
Cripps
Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Devon Smith

Neale
Dangerfield
Ward
Whitfield
Tom Mitchell
Oliver
Higgins
Gray
Cotchin
Edwards
Lambert

Dustin Martin
Gaff
Yeo
Macrae

Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Mitchell, Cripps, Oliver, Kelly + 3 more I reckon.

The bolded are nowhere near top 10 imo. Would anyone in their right mind seriously take Edwards or Lambert over Ablett or Fyfe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bolded are nowhere near top 10 imo. Would anyone in their right mind seriously take Edwards or Lambert over Ablett or Fyfe?

Agree in the most part but Yeo has become a seriously impressive player. If he's outside the top 10 it's not by a long way. Doesn't get the big 35+ disposal games but is one of the top midfielders for kicks, top 5 in the comp for tackles, 3rd for inside 50s, and while he's not a big goal kicker can go forward and kick important goals. Having him and Shuey as two mids capable of taking the game on and doing something with the ball is one of the reasons we aren't s**t as predicted.

According to the coaches votes:

91 Patrick Cripps CARL
88 Tom Mitchell HAW
72 Dayne Beams BL
72 Jack Macrae WB
72 Clayton Oliver MELB
70 Dustin Martin RICH
70 Lachie Whitfield GWS
68 Dyson Heppell ESS
67 Shaun Higgins NMFC
65 Andrew Gaff WCE
64 Steele Sidebottom COLL
62 Scott Pendlebury COLL
62 Elliot Yeo WCE
60 Patrick Dangerfield GEEL
60 Nat Fyfe FRE
56 Kane Lambert RICH
54 Angus Brayshaw MELB

This is probably closer to the mark.

Is Martin a midfielder or a Half forward though?

He sort of sits somewhere in the middle for mine, but is more of a forward than a mid.
437 disp between the 50 arcs with his heat map concentrated in the middle, 95 disp in the forward 50, and only 6 disp defensive 50. Clearly a mid

Agree in the most part but Yeo has become a seriously impressive player. If he's outside the top 10 it's not by a long way. Doesn't get the big 35+ disposal games but is one of the top midfielders for kicks, top 5 in the comp for tackles, 3rd for inside 50s, and while he's not a big goal kicker can go forward and kick important goals. Having him and Shuey as two mids capable of taking the game on and doing something with the ball is one of the reasons we aren't s**t as predicted.

91 Patrick Cripps CARL
88 Tom Mitchell HAW
72 Dayne Beams BL
72 Jack Macrae WB
72 Clayton Oliver MELB
70 Dustin Martin RICH
70 Lachie Whitfield GWS
68 Dyson Heppell ESS
67 Shaun Higgins NMFC
65 Andrew Gaff WCE
62 Scott Pendlebury COLL
62 Elliot Yeo WCE
60 Nat Fyfe FRE
56 Kane Lambert RICH
54 Angus Brayshaw MELB

Fair enough, I underrated Yeo more because I don't see him as a true midfielder (like Whitfield) - but yes he's bloody good.

Although Cripps is favoured by this list, I don't really rate the Coaches award - good for seeing who had a great season, not good for determining the best players.

Heppell? Lol

Bont is listed as 193cms by the bulldogs. 2cm would be slightly noticeable but hard to pick
Fair enough, perhaps Cripps is even taller than 195 cm then.

Always hard when they slightly crouch over:

hqdefault.jpg

437 disp between the 50 arcs with his heat map concentrated in the middle, 95 disp in the forward 50, and only 6 disp defensive 50. Clearly a mid

That actually supports my argument that he's a hybrid mid/ HFF.

He's clearly a gun, no arguments there. Just not sure I'd ever select him as a midfielder or in the centre in my team sheet (instead naming him on a HFF).

Fair enough, I underrated Yeo more because I don't see him as a true midfielder (like Whitfield) - but yes he's bloody good.

Although Cripps is favoured by this list, I don't really rate the Coaches award - good for seeing who had a great season, not good for determining the best players.

Heppell? Lol
Yeo wasn't a true midfielder until this year, but this year he's probably played 90%+ midfield time.

Is Martin a midfielder or a Half forward though?

He sort of sits somewhere in the middle for mine, but is more of a forward than a mid.

He’s a mid.

The fact he’s an elite forward as well shouldn’t change that view.

91 Patrick Cripps CARL
88 Tom Mitchell HAW
72 Dayne Beams BL
72 Jack Macrae WB
72 Clayton Oliver MELB
70 Dustin Martin RICH
70 Lachie Whitfield GWS
68 Dyson Heppell ESS
67 Shaun Higgins NMFC
65 Andrew Gaff WCE
62 Scott Pendlebury COLL
62 Elliot Yeo WCE
60 Nat Fyfe FRE
56 Kane Lambert RICH
54 Angus Brayshaw MELB

Geez lots of top end talent not on that list (obviously some due to injury) - Cotchin, Matt Crouch, Kelly, Merrett, Wines, Ablett, Heeney, Sloane, Shiel, Selwood, JPKennedy, Viney, Neale, Coniglio, Cunnington...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back