Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

If your team manages to win a premiership without you, it's hard to argue that you are in the top 10 midfielders in the comp.

Not sure about that. Cats won the year after losing Ablett; ditto Hawks with Franklin.

If a team is good enough, they can cover anyone.

But are we talking top 10 across their careers, or right now? If the former, then any list without Ablett number 1 is flat out wrong.

If right now, which is what I think most people are discussing, I'd have Oliver (and Cripps & Kelly) comfortably ahead of Bont.
The way I selected my top ten was by thinking who I would want running out for my team in round 1 2019.

My comment was that none of Ablett's years could be rated any more than marginally better than Martin's 2017.

2009 was one of them, you might say it was 2 or 3 percent better, but not 15% as Juddernaut suggested.

You did say Martin's 2017 was the best you had seen since Carey though, so that is why I asked the question.

I know Supercoach scoring is almost always met with contempt on BigFooty, but it is interesting to note that Martin only averaged 119.5 Supercoach points across 2017.

In comparison, Ablett's best years feature averages of 140.1 in 2009, 138.1 in 2012, 136.6 in 2014, 132.2 in 2008, 129.8 in 2010, 129 in 2013 and 127.1 in 2011. Dangerfield averaged 136.2 in 2017 and 130.2 in 2016. Even Chris Judd averaged 131.7 in 2006.

Now of course I understand Supercoach scoring can be misleading and that it doesn't tell the full story, however there could be a chance Juddernaut's rating system gets its data from a similar source.

Yeah fair enough, your thought process certainly is reasonable.

My prediction is that Selwood does a bit of a "Judd" (having peaked early in his career) and continues his form slump, while Higgins continues to outperform him off the back of 2 straight B&Fs. I could be completely wrong of course, and Gaff/Polec/Hall may steal opportunity from Higgins, but that's how I think things might go based on what I've seen recently.

Wait, Selwood is in a form slump? Thought he was pretty much as good as ever in 2018 compared to the last 3-4 seasons, just didn't get the hype and adoration from the media.

So this statement is correct: If your team manages to win a premiership without you, it's hard to argue that you are in the top 10 midfielders in the comp?
But this one is wrong: If your team manages to win a premiership without you, it's hard to argue that you are in the top 5 ruck in the competition?

So this statement is correct: If your team manages to win a premiership without you, it's hard to argue that you are in the top 10 midfielders in the comp?
But this one is wrong: If your team manages to win a premiership without you, it's hard to argue that you are in the top 5 ruck in the competition?
No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how many mid fielders in a team do you need? about four.. six.. genius says that if you have about four.. one either side of the centre and there
you go..
so it isn't as much about the mid field as you think.. there are also the ten or so forwards, with back.. and front and i am getting tired of thinking of
it all.

just thinking that you all say that the brownlow is a midfield medal.. six plus six plus six..

Hawks won 2 flags with the best player of this generation not playing for us... and he even suited up for the opposition.

Buddy is still the greatest... but teams win flags.

No Yeo

All Australian last year and was very close this year .....

Sorry gaff is better than half those guys .....lol

Barry a mention of gaff Shuey and Yeo in anyone’s top ten

It’s like bf posters read the herald sun

Lol.....I’m done in this thread ...seriously

Boy you're an embarrassing poster, often cringe at your posts.

In this case it's like you only watch one team each week.

https://www.zerohanger.com/cornes-n...p-two-midfielders-at-end-of-the-season-27974/

Can Bont and Cripps finally unseat the Dusty & Danger duo as the new Best Mids in 2019?

"Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes has declared that Patrick Cripps and Marcus Bontempelli will take on the mantle as the game’s best two midfielders at the end of the season.

Cornes highlighted a new era where the young duo are primed to take over the likes of Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield."

ManOfClay and I might even actually agree on something...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back