Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm interested to get a consensus on the top 10, in order.

Naturally, such considerations must strike a balance between this year's form and a body of work that takes into account seasons past. So this is not 'the 10 best-performed midfielders in 2017', although this season's form must be given due emphasis. Suffice to say, there are two sets of criteria or two scales that must be weighed against each other. It is up to individual posters how they address this balance. If you can't figure that out, I've left a sheet with secret clues in the middle of the freeway. Go check them.

With all that in mind, here is my top 10:

1. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)
2. Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
3. Joel Selwood (Geelong)
4. Gary Ablett (Gold Coast)
5. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
6. Dustin Martin (Richmond)
7. Rory Sloane (Adelaide)
8. Marcus Bontempelli (Bulldogs)
9. Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
10. Josh Kelly (GWS)

I will compile a spreadsheet, with the results presented after 50 legitimate submissions and then 100 legitimate submissions, depending how quickly those milestones are reached. The 10 players will get a point per spot, in reverse order. For example, as per my list above, #1 Dangerfield gets 10 points, #2 Kennedy gets 9, #3 Selwood gets 8, and so on. My spreadsheet will then rank players based on average points per total submissions.

Please note, any absurdly parochial submissions will be disregarded. You can't put Clayton Oliver in all 10 spots. You can't have all 10 players from the same team. If the moderators can be coaxed away from their ferociously competitive game of Soggy Biscuit, they might even delete such posts. That would be super helpful.

Please note, any submissions that mention more than 10 players will also be disregarded. You can't split the 10th spot three ways. Nor can you do a top 10, then put a dotted line and list five other players. Nor can you give a shout-out to a player from your team who obviously isn't top 10 but gives you a hard-on. No one cares. Such posts will be stricken from the ledger and your peers will consider you a pants-wetting imbecile. Top 10 or STFU.

Last edited:
1. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)
2. Gary Ablett (GC)
3. Joel Selwood (Geellong)
4. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
5. Sam Mitchell (West Coast)
6. Dustin Martin (Richmond)
7. Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
8. Marcus Bontempelli (Dogs)
9. Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
10. Callan Ward (GWS)

1 - Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)
2 - Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
3 - Dustin Martin (Richmond)
4 - Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
5 - Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
6 - Joel Selwood (Geelong)
7 - Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
8 - Josh Kelly (GWS)
9 - Gary Ablett (Gold Coast)
10 - Dylan Shiel (GWS)

1. Dangerfield
2. Selwood
3. Ablett
4. Pendlebury
5. Kennedy
6. Sloane
7. Martin
8. Shiel
9. Merrett
10. Treloar

1. Dangerfield
2. Ablett
3. Kennedy
4. Martin
5. Fyfe
6. Pendlebury
7. J.Selwood
8. Bontempelli
9. Sloane
10. D.Beams

Shoutout to Murphy, deserves a mention

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Dustin Martin
3. Scott Pendlebury
4. Gary Ablett Jr
5. Joel Selwood
6. Josh P. Kennedy
7. Rory Sloane
8. Marcus Bontempelli
9. Zach Merrett
10. Josh Kelly

I like to use the last two seasons as my time frame for ranking and comparing players, hence why Fyfe and Beams aren't in here, who I would consider top ten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Ablett
2. Dangerfield
3. Pendlebury
4. S.Mitchell
5. Kennedy
6. Martin
7. Selwood
8. Fyfe
9. T.Mitchell
10. Sloane

Tried to weight body of work and 2017 form 50:50