Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
The top 5 for mine in no particular order are Martin, Neale, Dangerfield, Cripps and Fyfe.

I'd lean towards the first 3 if I had to choose given their impact on their teams' success this year. Maybe that's unfair on those in the weaker sides, but that's just how I see it.

It gets harder after the top 5 but Kelly and the Bont are definitely in the next 5. Maybe Macrae and Yeo get in. I know he missed this year but Tom Mitchell should probably get a look in.

I think that's 10.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The top 5 for mine in no particular order are Martin, Neale, Dangerfield, Cripps and Fyfe.

I'd lean towards the first 3 if I had to choose given their impact on their teams' success this year. Maybe that's unfair on those in the weaker sides, but that's just how I see it.

It gets harder after the top 5 but Kelly and the Bont are definitely in the next 5. Maybe Macrae and Yeo get in. I know he missed this year but Tom Mitchell should probably get a look in.

I think that's 10.

Shuey not far away. His performance in finals has to elevate him.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
No order
Danger
Fyfe
Cripps
Martin
Neale
J.Kelly
Pendles
Coniglio
Bont
Treloar

Could have included Whitfield but he’s more of a wingman/HB

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
This was the top 10 in June 2017:

1. Patrick Dangerfield – 9.54
2. Gary Ablett – 6.86
3. Scott Pendlebury – 6.4
4. Dustin Martin – 6.28
5. Joel Selwood – 6.02
6. Josh Kennedy – 5.86
7. Nat Fyfe – 2.36
8. Rory Sloane – 2.04
9. Marcus Bontempelli – 1.8
10. Josh Kelly – 1.74
I think we can safely say that No. 2, 5, 6 and 8 have fallen off that list. Sloane and maybe Ablett in the 11-20? JK and Selwood outside top 20.

May 17, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs, Pacers
Danger
Fyfe
Cripps
Neale
Martin
Bont
Macrae
T.Kelly
Treloar
J.Kelly

Danger and Fyfe incredibly tough to split. I had Fyfe over Danger initially just due to being so good in so many areas, but I think I'd want Danger grabbing a team by the scruff of the neck and dragging them over the line.

Would absolutely love a centre bounce with Danger, Fyfe and Cripps together. Neale not far off this year. Dusty just behind with a mixed bag 2019, would have him over almost everyone in the fwd line though.

Edit: Swapped Neale and Cripps. Swapped Fyfe and Danger.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Astonished that anyone could leave Pendlebury out. Obviously these things are subjective, but I cannot work out how this guy is actually under-rated?! To make it worse he is the captain of arguably the biggest club. Confusing situation is confusing.

Fyfe, Cripps, Dangerfield and Pendles are stone cold locks for me. Could understand a case being made for probably 10-12 others for the final 6 spots.

Personally, I'd go with Neale (production) Bontempelli (impact and brilliance) GWS Kelly (top flight is awesome, I don't have a short memory) Martin (his best is still close to THE best) Geelong Kelly (well rounded, smooth) Hawthorn Mitchell (Again, I don't have a short memory, production).

Shuey the emergency and stiff.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Astonished that anyone could leave Pendlebury out. Obviously these things are subjective, but I cannot work out how this guy is actually under-rated?! To make it worse he is the captain of arguably the biggest club. Confusing situation is confusing.

Fyfe, Cripps, Dangerfield and Pendles are stone cold locks for me. Could understand a case being made for probably 10-12 others for the final 6 spots.

Personally, I'd go with Neale (production) Bontempelli (impact and brilliance) GWS Kelly (top flight is awesome, I don't have a short memory) Martin (his best is still close to THE best) Geelong Kelly (well rounded, smooth) Hawthorn Mitchell (Again, I don't have a short memory, production).

Shuey the emergency and stiff.
He’s the most consistent footballer of all time. When you only have had under 20 disposals on 9 occasions since round 1 2009 everyone just assumes you play good every week and takes you for granted.

Eddie Van Halen

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
HNS, Melbourne Knights, Rijeka
Anyone that doesn't have Pendles in their top 10 is clearly on opioids.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
There have been some comments about Martin and his form not quite there for 2019. Astonishing as his 2nd half (since the break) has been nothing short of fantastic. And he's a mid who can go forward and kick goals.

Pendlebury is having an excellent season and is easily in the top 10 for mine. Treloar I couldn't have in mind due to his kicking. He is excellent for the Pies and complements Pendlebury nicely. I just don't have him in the top 10.

Cripps is a beast and is a certain starter for mine.

Martin
Dangerfield
Fyfe
Cripps
Bontempelli
Josh Kelly
Coniglio
Neale
Jack Macrae (some serious under rating of him)
Pendlebury

Mitchell would come into the top 10 when fit. And I know he's not the most skilled but I have some man love for Callum Ward and Cotchin so would have them under consideration. Cotchin would have been top 10 if he stopped caring so much for his team mates and was a little more selfish and played for himself as opposed to being the ultimate team player.

Note: yes I am seeing Cotchin through Yellow and Black colored lenses.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Not to discredit Pendlebury he’s easily top 10. But Simon black hands down is the most consistent player of all time

Back