Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still deserves to be up there. I guess if we were to phrase the OP as 'what would trade for this midfielder' everyone would be offering whatever what they have. He's an exceptional midfielder that's had a down year.
I actually reckon that's the best way of judging the best.

You factor in their body of work, and what they are likely to produce if they are on your list for the next 2 to 3 years.

Based on that, I have a top 8, with a gap to the next tier:
1. The Bont
2. Martin
3. Cripps
4. Fyfe
5. Petracca
6. Rowell
7. Danger
8. Neale
-----------------
Oliver, J. Kelly, T. Kelly, Coniglio, Shuey, Pendlebury, Mitchell

Assuming Ian Stewart's out due to lack of games in the Red and Black, who does Cotchin push out of the top 5:
Dyer
Bartlett
Hart
Bourke
Martin

Richardson, Wright, Titus, Weightman, Clay...

Based on that, I have a top 8, with a gap to the next tier:
1. The Bont
2. Martin
3. Cripps
4. Fyfe
5. Petracca
6. Rowell
7. Danger
8. Neale
-----------------
Oliver, J. Kelly, T. Kelly, Coniglio, Shuey, Pendlebury, Mitchell
Sorry but Rowell should not be in the equation. He only played 4 games!

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
All my good work from a few days wiped, all because i had a crack at some bloke who'd rather criticise my positioning of a commer whilst im half asleep
instead of putting up a case for best midfielders in the comp on present form and this year overall,which is what this thread is all about ???
'sigh'...anyway... i'll try again
this list comprises the 15 rounds thus far and nothing else ok....not last year and definitely not next year,how in the hell can anyone predict
whats gonna happen next year ???? Cripps was gonna romp home in the brownlow,hows that prediction going ?

1.S.Bolton
2.Petracca
3.Cotchin
4.Boak
5.T.Kelly
6.Neale
7.Dangerfield
8.Steele
9.Adams
10.Bontempelli

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
All my good work from a few days wiped, all because i had a crack at some bloke who'd rather criticise my positioning of a commer whilst im half asleep
instead of putting up a case for best midfielders in the comp on present form and this year overall,which is what this thread is all about ???
'sigh'...anyway... i'll try again
this list comprises the 15 rounds thus far and nothing else ok....not last year and definitely not next year,how in the hell can anyone predict
whats gonna happen next year ???? Cripps was gonna romp home in the brownlow,hows that prediction going ?

1.S.Bolton
2.Petracca
3.Cotchin
4.Boak
5.T.Kelly
6.Neale
7.Dangerfield
8.Steele
9.Adams
10.Bontempelli
Wait wait wait... You don't actually believe Bolton has been the best performed mid over this season do you?

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Great question ... line them up against a walll and .....

Martin
Bont
Cripps
J.Kelly
Dangerfield
Fyfe
Neale
Mitchell
Boak
Oliver / Petracca

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
they both, Martin has for longer of course,do something Cripps and Fyffe have failed at theyre whole careers and thats damage teams
on the scoreboard,scar teams,give sides nightmares....the greatest mids of all time not only gathered possesions but kicked goals,think
Matthews,Bartlett,Martin,Greg Williams,Dangerfield,Ablett jr....these players gave and give opposition sides nightmares before a ball has been bounced
Fyffe,Mitchell,Pendlebury,Cripps,Watson,Cousins etc never gave/give teams continous nightmares
Petracca has the ability which is obvious to be Matthews like, the ONLY other 2 players along with Petracca that have that ability right now to go n play fwd after spending time in the midfield and turning a game off theyre own boot by kicking 3-5 in a half are Martin & Dangerfield.....the rest are incapable
Dane Swan could do it,i always rated him above Pendlebury much to the disagreement of many pie supporter mates
I think you may find there is a bloke called DeGoey who is a bull in the midfield and may cause headaches when he is forward.

Wait wait wait... You don't actually believe Bolton has been the best performed mid over this season do you?
He has Cotchins as a top 5 Richmond player of all time, so I think he does think Bolton has been number 1

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is my general top ten midfielders just based on their skillsets and talents. I'm sure many of you will think this list is insane. I do not care.

1. Martin - edges out Dangerfield and Fyfe due to finals performance.
2. Fyfe - slightly better numbers than Dangerfield.
3. Dangerfield - if he isn't first or second, he at least has to be third.

a significant amount of daylight

4. Bontempelli - I know, I know, I'm crazy. He only averages 23 touches in his career and is a bad shot for goal. But he's able to do things not many other players with better stat lines do and he was one of the main reasons why the bulldogs won the 2016 grand final. Rated highly by coaches (2019 AFLCA award), umpires (one of the few players with two or more seasons of 20+ votes, another with 19).
5. Neale - IMO the best grunt player in the AFL. Another player with multiple seasons with 20 or more brownlow votes. Does a bit of everything, contested possessions, inside 50s, score involvements. He takes more risks with his kicking and takes the game on more these days.
6. Cripps - one of the most talented players in the league, Cripps would be an unquestioned superstar if he played in a team which supported him and knew how to use him. If he played in a better side he'd push forward more and use his height to kick more goals.
7. Petracca - other players may have a better resume, but not many, if any have his talent and ability to blend forwardcraft and midfield ability. Remember, he's still only 24. IMO, he's the player most likely to join the Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield grouping in the future.
8. Oliver - one of the best inside grunt players in the league, his disposal is sometimes just... bad but he's improved his kicking especially this year.
9. Pendlebury - almost forgot he was still playing given the lack of fanfare about him. He's still one of the best kicks in the game and his disposal is still excellent even though he averages the tenth most disposals in the league. 20 touches from Pendlebury are worth more than etc. Always rated him, still rate him.
10. Kelly - hasn't had the most productive seasons in the league, but the eagles have struggled this season and Kelly has accordingly. One of the few onballers in the league with fantastic disposal skills.

There were others that I considered, but they didn't make it. I am aware of the Port Adelaide Football Club and its position on the ladder and the existence of Tom Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am basing my list off if I had to pick the players I would want in my team now, based on previous form, current form and a little weighting to predicted future form

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Dangerfield
4. Bontempelli
5. Petracca
6. Cripps
7. Neale
8. Boak
9. Oliver
10. Mitchell

Dunkley, Taranto, T Kelly, Pendelbury, Merrett, Gaff, Duncan, Prestia, J Kelly & Coniglio are the next cabs off the rank (in no particular order)

Followed by Cunnington, Shiel, Adams, Shuey, Treloar, Sidebottom, Cotchin, Adams, Steele, Parker, Higgins & Crouch (in no particular order)

The top 5 are rated in that order and seperate themselves from the next midfielders based on ability to win games off their own boot. All 5 can move forward and win games with goals on off-days.

Martin & Fyfe I would almost be happy to have equal first. Danger would have been equal with these two but has slipped slightly behind

Bontempelli and Petracca can and do win games off their own boats and go forward and kick goals. Bont obviously has many more runs on the board though

The next 5 (Cripps, Neale, Boak, Oliver & Mitchell) are more the kill you by a thousand cuts type of players which is why I have them behind the top 5. Cripps had 1 game v Brisbane when he kicked 4 but other than that his kicking for goal is what keeps him from the top echelon of midfielders. Neale has been the best this year, Boak has been in carer best form over the last 24 months which is more impressive when you notice he has already been a multiple AA before, Oliver has only just turned 23 and Mitchell i expect to get back to topline form over the next 12 months, if not he is the one to drop out of the top 10

Most likely to move into the top 10 over the next 12 months -
Dunkley- If he can get back to his form of the second half of 2019 he rockets up the list
Taranto & JKelly - Just need to get full fitness back to press their claims
Steele- either keep his form up for another 12 months or start hitting the scoreboard a bit more
T Kelly- just get back to last years form

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Why don't people rate Josh Kelly higher? Injuries? Tendency to be more of an outside player?

Fair point. I considered him for my top ten but left him out alongside players like Boak, Shuey, Treloar etc.

I used to rate him highly but it's hard to rate a player in the top ten who is not even seen as that important by his own coach and has been put on a wing. There is a possibility that the giants are lessening the load to prepare for him leaving due to cap squeeze, but that still raises the question of why he's not rated.

He also hasn't hit the heights of 2017 and I find it difficult to judge whether that's injuries or him not being able to keep up his form.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I am basing my list off if I had to pick the players I would want in my team now, based on previous form, current form and a little weighting to predicted future form

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Dangerfield
4. Bontempelli
5. Petracca
6. Cripps
7. Neale
8. Boak
9. Oliver
10. Mitchell
Melbourne supporters think they've got 2 of the top 10 midfielders in the comp (and the best ruckman?).

If that's true, what's wrong with the rest of your club?

For the 2020 season
1. Neale
2. Petracca
3. Steele
4. Boak
5. Oliver
6. McRae
7. McGrath
8. Boak
9. Fyfe
10. Bont

Overall is another story
1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Danger
4. Bont
5. Cripps
6. Boak
7. Neale
8. Oliver
9. Pendles
10. T.Kelly
If we’re talking overall of current players Gary Ablett Jnr has to be No.1

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For the 2020 season
1. Neale
2. Petracca
3. Steele
4. Boak
5. Oliver
6. McRae
7. McGrath
8. Boak
9. Fyfe
10. Bont

Overall is another story
1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Danger
4. Bont
5. Cripps
6. Boak
7. Neale
8. Oliver
9. Pendles
10. T.Kelly

Boak so good he’s in the top 10 twice. Surely a Brownlow favourite now then

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
For the 2020 season
1. Neale
2. Petracca
3. Steele
4. Boak
5. Oliver
6. McRae
7. McGrath
8. Boak
9. Fyfe
10. Bont

Overall is another story
1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Danger
4. Bont
5. Cripps
6. Boak
7. Neale
8. Oliver
9. Pendles
10. T.Kelly
Combine these 2 lists and the respective imperatives in a way that makes intuitive sense to you.

If you could select any 10 midfielders in a vacuum for a game tomorrow, based on what they've done this year and in previous seasons, how would you rank them?

Last edited:
Combine these 2 lists and the respective imperatives in a way that makes intuitive sense to you.

If you could select any 10 midfielders in a vacuum for a game tomorrow, based on what they've done this year and in previous seasons, how would you rank them?
1. Fyfe
2. Bont.
3. Martin
4. Dangerfield
5. Neale
6. Pendles
7. McRae
8. Oliver
9. Boak
10. Steele

Remove this Banner Ad

Back