Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Consistent "Big Dogs" Of The Midfield (Best Five Years Total Brownlow Votes) modern era:

Patrick Dangerfield: 140 Votes
Gary Ablett Junior: 131 Votes
Dane Swan: 129 Votes
Chris Judd: 126 Votes
Dustin Martin: 124 Votes
Nat Fyfe: 123 Votes
Robert Harvey: 109 Votes
Adam Goodes: 108 Votes
Simon Black: 107 Votes
Scott West: 105 Votes

Apologies i know this has nothing to do with the thread, but you cannot help at marvel at the consistent level of out put over the
players best five vote getting years. Amazing to think some of the still active ones could still light it up for a bit longer.
Any award voted for by umpires doesn't deserve much consideration... they can't even do their own jobs properly, let alone judge someone else's.

The Consistent "Big Dogs" Of The Midfield (Best Five Years Total Brownlow Votes) modern era:

Patrick Dangerfield: 140 Votes
Gary Ablett Junior: 131 Votes
Dane Swan: 129 Votes
Chris Judd: 126 Votes
Dustin Martin: 124 Votes
Nat Fyfe: 123 Votes
Robert Harvey: 109 Votes
Adam Goodes: 108 Votes
Simon Black: 107 Votes
Scott West: 105 Votes

Apologies i know this has nothing to do with the thread, but you cannot help at marvel at the consistent level of out put over the
players best five vote getting years. Amazing to think some of the still active ones could still light it up for a bit longer.
Decent list, but I like to sort it different:

Nat Fyfe: 123 Votes in 90 games ⌀1,37
Patrick Dangerfield: 140 Votes in 106 games ⌀1,32
Gary Ablett Junior: 131 Votes in 101 games ⌀1,30
Chris Judd: 126 Votes in 104 games ⌀1,24
Dane Swan: 129 Votes in 105 games ⌀1,23
Dustin Martin: 124 Votes in 107 games ⌀1,16
Robert Harvey: 109 Votes in 104 games ⌀1,05
Adam Goodes: 108 Votes in 107 games ⌀1,01
Simon Black: 107 Votes in 108 games ⌀1,00
Scott West: 105 Votes in 110 games ⌀0,95

Decent list, but I like to sort it different:

Curious to see how Neale stacks up in this list now. Probably still has a fair bit to catch up on this group but what did they say he went at this year 1.82 votes a game or something crazy?

Curious to see how Neale stacks up in this list now. Probably still has a fair bit to catch up on this group but what did they say he went at this year 1.82 votes a game or something crazy?
Lachie Neale: 104 Votes in 104 games ⌀1.00

But he will most likely move up. Includes 11 and 14 vote seasons.

PS This year he went by a whopping ⌀1,94. Finals don't count.

Last edited:
I am basing my list off if I had to pick the players I would want in my team now, based on previous form, current form and a little weighting to predicted future form

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Dangerfield
4. Bontempelli
5. Petracca
6. Cripps
7. Neale
8. Boak
9. Oliver
10. Mitchell

Dunkley, Taranto, T Kelly, Pendelbury, Merrett, Gaff, Duncan, Prestia, J Kelly & Coniglio are the next cabs off the rank (in no particular order)

Followed by Cunnington, Shiel, Adams, Shuey, Treloar, Sidebottom, Cotchin, Adams, Steele, Parker, Higgins & Crouch (in no particular order)

The top 5 are rated in that order and seperate themselves from the next midfielders based on ability to win games off their own boot. All 5 can move forward and win games with goals on off-days.

Martin & Fyfe I would almost be happy to have equal first. Danger would have been equal with these two but has slipped slightly behind

Bontempelli and Petracca can and do win games off their own boats and go forward and kick goals. Bont obviously has many more runs on the board though

The next 5 (Cripps, Neale, Boak, Oliver & Mitchell) are more the kill you by a thousand cuts type of players which is why I have them behind the top 5. Cripps had 1 game v Brisbane when he kicked 4 but other than that his kicking for goal is what keeps him from the top echelon of midfielders. Neale has been the best this year, Boak has been in carer best form over the last 24 months which is more impressive when you notice he has already been a multiple AA before, Oliver has only just turned 23 and Mitchell i expect to get back to topline form over the next 12 months, if not he is the one to drop out of the top 10

Most likely to move into the top 10 over the next 12 months -
Dunkley- If he can get back to his form of the second half of 2019 he rockets up the list
Taranto & JKelly - Just need to get full fitness back to press their claims
Steele- either keep his form up for another 12 months or start hitting the scoreboard a bit more
T Kelly- just get back to last years form
You lost credibility by not having Macrae in there. But I guess that's typical of people's thoughts on him.

You lost credibility by not having Macrae in there. But I guess that's typical of people's thoughts on him.
Nah Macrae isn't in the top 10. Probably should be in the unluckies but that is it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my inherent bias coming to the fore here but has Duncan gone up in anyone's estimation after his finals series?

Along with Stewart was easily our BOG in a GF, and was probably our best player across the two finals before that
Duncan, Menegola and Guthrie have all risen in status in my eyes. A big part of the extra step they took this year was the depth and evenness of the mids contribution. Formidable unit now.

Just my inherent bias coming to the fore here but has Duncan gone up in anyone's estimation after his finals series?

Along with Stewart was easily our BOG in a GF, and was probably our best player across the two finals before that

Duncan went up, Dangerfield went down.

Anyone have Martins field heat map at any time this year ?

It'd vary from match to match depending on how he's used. (as would be common for genuine multi position players).

It'd be a mix of Center bounces, time around the middle of the ground, and forward. (with very little time in def 50)

He plays on or forward of the ball.

It'd vary from match to match depending on how he's used. (as would be common for genuine multi position players).

It'd be a mix of Center bounces, time around the middle of the ground, and forward. (with very little time in def 50)

He plays on or forward of the ball.

I like the way he is used. Doesn't burn the energy levels out by going into D50. Watching the Qualifying final it looked like every time it went in there he would just go forward.

1. Dusty
2. Fyfe
3. Cripps
4. Bont
5. Neale

Petracca backs up his 2020 next year and pushes top 5.

On Macrae, he definitely sits outside the top 10. He's an accumulator, great for your Supercoach team, but simply doesn't punish the opposition.

There's a reason why opposition coaches keep a closer watch on Bont and to a lesser extent Libba.

I would actually have him #4 at the Doggies, behind Bont, Libba and Dunkley, and reckon that's how other coaches perceive him as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back