Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay i admit i undersold Steele.

Still comfortable having Walsh in my top ten. Its all subjective though. So many decent mids in the league, you can't fit everyone in..
Walsh looks very very good and if he continues to develop as he has he might very well be number 1 on this list in a few years.

When fit, Cripps is a star, but please... "try and stay objective" ... THE LOLS🤣

"contribution to team success" has Patty Cripps led Carlton to win an AFL final recently? Did he finish Top 3 in the Brownlow while doing so? Must have forgotten that Carlton season.

"Carlton are in the top 8, Saints are languishing in the bottom 8." Both teams are 2-2!

I'm dying. 16 flags... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 years for him to get healthy? Cripps won the AFLMVP at the end of the 2019 season.

He had an injury-ravaged 2020, yet still finished no.1 for centre clearances, and no.3 for total clearances.

Steele is a great player, I've already said that. But Cripps leads a more successful club historically (16 flags), as well as currently (Carlton are in the top 8, Saints are languishing in the bottom 8).

Steele is great and a deserved top 10. But on individual accolades and contribution to team success, Cripps has him covered. The haters have really overblown Crippa's drop in form. 21 rounds of football ago he was the AFLMVP, and he's still been one of the best at what he does in the period that has followed.

Try to be objective.

When fit, Cripps is a star, but please... "try and stay objective" ... THE LOLS🤣

"contribution to team success" has Patty Cripps led Carlton to win an AFL final recently? Did he finish Top 3 in the Brownlow while doing so? Must have forgotten that Carlton season.

"Carlton are in the top 8, Saints are languishing in the bottom 8." Both teams are 2-2!

I'm dying. 16 flags... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 years for him to get healthy? Cripps won the AFLMVP at the end of the 2019 season.

He had an injury-ravaged 2020, yet still finished no.1 for centre clearances, and no.3 for total clearances.

Steele is a great player, I've already said that. But Cripps leads a more successful club historically (16 flags), as well as currently (Carlton are in the top 8, Saints are languishing in the bottom 8).

Steele is great and a deserved top 10. But on individual accolades and contribution to team success, Cripps has him covered. The haters have really overblown Crippa's drop in form. 21 rounds of football ago he was the AFLMVP, and he's still been one of the best at what he does in the period that has followed.

Try to be objective.

Try to be objective.
You’ve got to be trolling.

Try to be objective.

Seriously? :drunk: The moment you brought premiership into this and team success your argument lost the respect of everyone on this board.

It is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it.

Cripps was 7 months old when Carlton won their last premiership

Facts are in the last 20 years St Kilda has been a more successful club, more finals, more grand finals, more wins, etc. That's not saying much about our own performance mind you but pointing out the stupidity of your argument.

Last edited:
Interesting 2021, Danger suspended, Fyfe has been injured, Neale & Cripps started slow. Still need to consider body of work though, which is why Dusty is #1 and Fyfe's top 10.

ATM

1. Dusty
2. Bont
3. Boak
4. Steele
5. Petracca

Lots of options for top 10, but I'd have Fyfe, Macrae, Oliver and Merrett. If you weigh more heavily on body of work Neale and Danger have to be in there somewhere. Dunkley rounding out the 10 based on the second half of last year and the first 5 games of 2021. Perhaps biased on that one though. Danger needs a few big games, especially at his age and reliance on speed for him to make my current top 10.

Are you serious? You think there's no added pressure for playing for the most successful club of all time? Do you understand the expectations of the team, the fans, the history, the club, the board etc?

Leading any club is tough. Kudos to Steele on making captain. But let's not pretend the pressure is the same. Let's not forget how happy you all were with winning 10 games in a row. The club made that DVD called "The Streak" lol.
I think your right about the pressure Cripps has been under carrying Carlton on his back. The list has been atrocious for a decade now and the poor bloke has sacrificed his body trying to keep your mob viable.

He may never make it back to his best not because he is captaining a great club but because he has been leading a s**t side for the last 4 years.

Really feel for the guy. Steele’s not much better off. Another great player asked to carry the load for a really ordinary list.

Been saying this for a while Mitchell is the most underrated Superstar in the game right now.

This thread sort of proves it.

There is always some sort of argument used to discredit the body of work he has put into an already great career. He isn't as good at X, player y can do this better. But pound for pound once the game of footy starts he is able to will his team over the line, Saturdays game is just another one of those.
lol Tom Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol Tom Mitchell.
So I take it you don't agree Tom Mitchell is underrated?

Is this something you have been thinking for a while or a thought after this afternoons game.

Happy to have the discussion with you if you like if you have anything meaningful to share that goes beyond 3 characters and 2 letters.

So I take it you don't agree Tom Mitchell is underrated?

Is this something you have been thinking for a while or a thought after this afternoons game.

Happy to have the discussion with you if you like if you have anything meaningful to share that goes beyond 3 characters and 2 letters.
He’s simply not in the top 10. He causes zero damage to the opposition and racks up easy possessions with the old 1-2 handball. Would anyone on here have him in their top 10? The answer will be no.

Haven't read the whole thread. Needs more Jarryd Lyons :oops:

Macrae has had 17 consecutive games at 30+ disposals.*
*Not counting 64min games
His kicking i50 has been deft in 2021, and his 2-way running is elite.
Has to be top 5 on current form.

Tom Mitchell nowhere near it to be honest.

He’s simply not in the top 10. He causes zero damage to the opposition and racks up easy possessions with the old 1-2 handball. Would anyone on here have him in their top 10? The answer will be no.
Yeah I don't even have him in the top 10 right now.

He was very entrenched in the top 10 before the leg and is slowly finding that type of form again, unfortunately today wasn't one of those days. Those 1/2 chain possession arnt always damaging but Mitchell can be damaging with his possession when he is at is magnetic best, when the opposition lose complete control of a middle of the ground because manic period where he either winning the first touch or impacting the player who is. At one point he was also ultra consistent and was able to put in those manic periods multiple times a game every week, until he recaptures that level of consistency he probably sits outside the top 10.

One thing lost from his game right now is the tackling, his Brownlow years he was a very good two way player with elite defensive acts to pair up with his offensive ball winning but the shoulder injury he has been nursing for a few years now is impacting him here fwiw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back