Who are the top 5 key defenders in the comp?

Top five key defenders?

• Daniel Talia (Adelaide)

Votes: 192 59.8%
  • Ben Reid (Collingwood)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Cale Hooker (Essendon)

Votes: 42 13.1%
  • Michael Hurley (Essendon)

Votes: 164 51.1%
  • Harry Taylor (Geelong)

Votes: 64 19.9%
  • Lachie Henderson (Geelong)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Steven May (Gold Coast)

Votes: 97 30.2%
  • Phil Davis (GWS Giants)

Votes: 65 20.2%
  • Ben Stratton (Hawthorn)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Tom McDonald (Melbourne)

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Robbie Tarrant (North Melbourne)

Votes: 108 33.6%
  • Jack Hombsch (Port Adelaide)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Alex Rance (Richmond)

Votes: 254 79.1%
  • Jake Carlisle (St Kilda)

Votes: 25 7.8%
  • Heath Grundy (Sydney Swans)

Votes: 41 12.8%
  • Jeremy McGovern (West Coast)

Votes: 155 48.3%
  • Dale Morris (Western Bulldogs)

Votes: 41 12.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Rance
Jeremy McGovern
Phil Davis
Daniel Talia
Harry Taylor (reputation/runs on the board/incumbent still if there was an Australia national team for me)

Talia
May
Rance
Mcgovern
Grundy

I can dispute Rance. I get his class and run. I selected on the basis of who I would want under under the ball coming into the 50

May underrated. If he played for a Victorian club he'd get far more credit.
This. The only attention he got out of Victoria is when he cleaned up Stef Martin. He is a genuine star and holds our backline together by himself 99% of the time

Talia - Great negating key defender
Taylor - Genuine gun
May - Big brute who can handle the big boys
Tarrant - Held North's defence together all year when they were being bombarded
Grundy - Very under rated his whole career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May underrated. If he played for a Victorian club he'd get far more credit.
Heath Grundy still gets no respect.
I don't agree with these posts. Both terrific players and I think most acknowledge that. Top five is massive though in a league saturated with excellent key defenders. Really you could make the case for probably 12-15 of those listed in the poll. There's not much separating them; I don't think those two not being named in a top 5 is a disgrace.

I don't agree with these posts. Both terrific players and I think most acknowledge that. Top five is massive though in a league saturated with excellent key defenders. Really you could make the case for probably 12-15 of those listed in the poll. There's not much separating them; I don't think those two not being named in a top 5 is a disgrace.
Nobody said it would be a disgrace, but realistically the case could be argued that May is behind only Rance.
His rebound is superior to Talia, he can play mobile or gorilla, and was playing with a midfield of kids who provided less defensive pressure than anyone except Brisbane's.

Nobody said it would be a disgrace, but realistically the case could be argued that May is behind only Rance.
His rebound is superior to Talia, he can play mobile or gorilla, and was playing with a midfield of kids who provided less defensive pressure than anyone except Brisbane's.
I agree with you, but I think you could make the same argument for a number of others. Hell, Rance is often put up as the clear best in the competition, but I don't even think the gap between him and second- or third-best is really that significant.

I voted Rance, Hurley, Talia, Tarrant and McGovern but on further thought I think I'd put May in over McGovern. Don't think May not being included is a sign that he's underrated though, nor is Grundy not being selected "disrespectful" - more of an indicator that you could throw a blanket over the lot of them.

Rance - is clear number 1
Taylor - has been so good for so long, since day 1 really
Hurley
Tarrant - proved me wrong this last season
Davis

Back