Who are the top 5 key defenders in the comp?

Top five key defenders?

• Daniel Talia (Adelaide)

Votes: 192 59.8%
  • Ben Reid (Collingwood)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Cale Hooker (Essendon)

Votes: 42 13.1%
  • Michael Hurley (Essendon)

Votes: 164 51.1%
  • Harry Taylor (Geelong)

Votes: 64 19.9%
  • Lachie Henderson (Geelong)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Steven May (Gold Coast)

Votes: 97 30.2%
  • Phil Davis (GWS Giants)

Votes: 65 20.2%
  • Ben Stratton (Hawthorn)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Tom McDonald (Melbourne)

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Robbie Tarrant (North Melbourne)

Votes: 108 33.6%
  • Jack Hombsch (Port Adelaide)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Alex Rance (Richmond)

Votes: 254 79.1%
  • Jake Carlisle (St Kilda)

Votes: 25 7.8%
  • Heath Grundy (Sydney Swans)

Votes: 41 12.8%
  • Jeremy McGovern (West Coast)

Votes: 155 48.3%
  • Dale Morris (Western Bulldogs)

Votes: 41 12.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Because that's his best position or through necessity?

Yeah good question, he was penciled to play back this season, but I'm not even sure Clarkson would have predicted how damaging he has become. Aside from one season when Frawley and Lake inter lapped, Clarko has generally only played one 'key back' whilst relying on a team defence. Gibson was key to this with his ability to impact as a third man up. At time however, we could be vulnerable to a team with two key forwards if the ball moved quickly into the opponents forward half.

For the hawks, after the bye Sicily, Burton and Gunston have interchanged as a CHB within games. Whilst Gunston will likely move forward in 2018 I can't see Sicily or Burton moving from the back half. For us, whilst not traditional, he is a 'key back'.

Yeah good question, he was penciled to play back this season, but I'm not even sure Clarkson would have predicted how damaging he has become. Aside from one season when Frawley and Lake inter lapped, Clarko has generally only played one 'key back' whilst relying on a team defence. Gibson was key to this with his ability to impact as a third man up. At time however, we could be vulnerable to a team with two key forwards if the ball moved quickly into the opponents forward half.

For the hawks, after the bye Sicily, Burton and Gunston have interchanged as a CHB within games. Whilst Gunston will likely move forward in 2018 I can't see Sicily or Burton moving from the back half. For us, whilst not traditional, he is a 'key back'.

Fair enough. I ask because I remember Brown playing as a very undersized key back (and being AA) through necessity, he was a defender to start with though.

The way football is going now with team defence and players zoning off to impact the contest means the best key defenders are no longer measured by just simple beating the best key forward. Alex Rance is rightly how the modern day defender should be viewed. He negates his man, and creates so much drive for Richmond from the back half. He is the best key defender I've seen, Scarlett included.

With this in mind, I've left off Talia and May.

Current - Rance, Hurley, McGovern, Rampe and Tarrant.

Midway through 2018 - Rance, Leaver, Sicily, Jones and Rampe.
Lol

ahaha.
sicily is 185cm and no where close to being a ramper still undersized KPD. Jones is so average and lever is still a twig and plays as a third tall defender. Gov gets the tag as being a lose defender but he is the best 1v1 defender in the comp and regularly plays on the best forwards in the comp.

Rance, hurly, gov, talia, may, tarrent and rampe will be the guys talked up for AA next year.

ahaha.
sicily is 185cm and no where close to being a ramper still undersized KPD. Jones is so average and lever is still a twig and plays as a third tall defender. Gov gets the tag as being a lose defender but he is the best 1v1 defender in the comp and regularly plays on the best forwards in the comp.

Rance, hurly, gov, talia, may, tarrent and rampe will be the guys talked up for AA next year.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=11&type=A&pid1=3898&pid2=3969&fid1=S&fid2=S

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a 1v1 stopper, Astbury is really underrated. When was the last time someone kicked a bag on him?
Rarely gets beaten in marking contests and despite not being quick, his opponents don't seem to damage him on the lead either.
Not saying his shite but he looks better when he has a rance. Will schofield in 2015 looked a million bucks when he had mcgovern and sheppard helping him out.

Not saying his shite but he looks better when he has a rance. Will schofield in 2015 looked a million bucks when he had mcgovern and sheppard helping him out.

Astbury very rarely needs help. Hes been towling up his opponent week in week out while rance roams around helping everyone else

As a 1v1 stopper, Astbury is really underrated. When was the last time someone kicked a bag on him?
Rarely gets beaten in marking contests and despite not being quick, his opponents don't seem to damage him on the lead either.
Grimes is better than Astbury imo can play tall or small and like Rance has a great closing speed to always get to the contest very underrated.

1. Rance
2. Hurley
3. May
4. McGovern
5. Grundy
McGovern is arguably the best intercept and 1v1 KPD statistically. He has by far the most 1v1 contests won for 2017, and best winning percentage for contests.

Can play tall or small. Always takes an opponent yet still manages to intercept, great contested grab, decision maker and offers solid rebound and aggression. Stands up in big games and is rarely beaten. Made the AA 40 man in his first full season and back to back AA since. This despite playing a swingman role.

As an allround he is second only to Rance as a player.

Last edited:
Back