Who are the top 6 batsmen in the country

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think all the discussion about rotation policies, the need for all rounders, looking for wicketkeepers who can bat, 'blooding' youngsters is making things very confusing.

So let's simplify it and make a list of the top 6 bats in the country in Tests and ODIs. Here are my thoughts - I've broken it down to players who 'certainties' and those whose positions are 'up for grabs'. For the players who are in 'up for grabs positions', I've made a reason as to why I have included them.

Tests - certainties
1. Warner
3. Hughes
4. Clarke - I have put Clarke here because I think he will move up the order when/if required

Tests - up for grabs
2. Cowan - controversial I know. But had the highest successful opening partnership in the world with Warner and beat out Smith and Petersen.
5. Khawaja - has the technique. shown he can make runs at this level. just needs to play that long innings and I think he will entrench himself in the side
6. Wade - has already shown his class at test level. could potentially further improve his batting if he doesn't have to keep.

ODIs - certainties
1. Warner - I've put him in this category for the moment. Is definitely maturing in ODIs and playing more and more long innings instead of just crash and bash
3. Clarke
4. D. Hussey
5. Bailey - can knock it around, can hit big (see the 1st ODI and T20 semi-final), good head on his shoulders

ODIs - up for grabs
2. Hughes - has the technique and temperament to dominate in ODIs
6. ??? Khawaja ???
(I assume Wade would be the keeper in ODIs)

Thoughts? I'd be especially interested in hearing your reasons for changes/inclusions.

Watson is probably number 1 for both limited overs forms. Why no love?
I assumed he won't bowl again. But fair enough.

Slots into the ODI opener role. Drop everyone down one and we have our six.

However, at test level, I don't think he can justify selection on batting alone.

Cowan shouldn't be in the test team for 2013. Has feasted on the flatties at the Gabba and the Windies and the like which has made him look better than he is.

He's not that good as the figures suggest, which in itself aren't that good to begin with.

Cowan shouldn't be in the test team for 2013. Has feasted on the flatties at the Gabba and the Windies and the like which has made him look better than he is.

He's not that good as the figures suggest, which in itself aren't that good to begin with.
who comes in? Watson?

I think the exact opposite is true, is better than his figures suggests. Has gotten out due to silly run outs twice in the Summer and a couple of un-Cowan-like aggressive pulls. Has shown the ability and doggedness to get through a swinging and seaming ball on numerous occassions but with a few exceptions hasn't cashed in after getting in.

Certainly needs to score more runs to cement his spot though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the exact opposite is true, is better than his figures suggests. Has gotten out due to silly run outs twice in the Summer and a couple of un-Cowan-like aggressive pulls. Has shown the ability and doggedness to get through a swinging and seaming ball on numerous occassions but with a few exceptions hasn't cashed in after getting in.

Certainly needs to score more runs to cement his spot though.

Sorry, I don't get this. Bad running is a technique/ability thing. He deserves to be blamed for them (at least one). No sign that he has learned any better. No reason why he shouldn't do it again. He's 30 years old - he should know how to run.
Un-Cowan-like aggressive pulls? He played the shots. How much more Cowan-like can you get? Just because there is a media image of him being a dour, no-shots opener doesn't mean he doesn't play shots. He must have to score those runs against the Windies. No reason to think he won't go the pull shot again - and no reason to think those technical failings won't let him down again. He's 30 - he should know how to pull.

If he doesn't make runs in India, he's gone. If he doesn't make runs in the rest of the shield season, he might not get to India. He's very, very borderline, based on performance. He was a stretch of a selection in the first place, and it hasn't come off.

Sorry, I don't get this. Bad running is a technique/ability thing. He deserves to be blamed for them (at least one). No sign that he has learned any better. No reason why he shouldn't do it again. He's 30 years old - he should know how to run.
Un-Cowan-like aggressive pulls? He played the shots. How much more Cowan-like can you get? Just because there is a media image of him being a dour, no-shots opener doesn't mean he doesn't play shots. He must have to score those runs against the Windies. No reason to think he won't go the pull shot again - and no reason to think those technical failings won't let him down again. He's 30 - he should know how to pull.

If he doesn't make runs in India, he's gone. If he doesn't make runs in the rest of the shield season, he might not get to India. He's very, very borderline, based on performance. He was a stretch of a selection in the first place, and it hasn't come off.
Who would you replace him with though?

Is Watson really a better option? (given Watson won't be bowling, I don't think so)

Or is it worth plucking a youngster like Doolan?

Or moving everyone up one spot and slotting in someone with experience at 5 or 6 (like a Dave Hussey or George Bailey)

The point I was trying to make is that Cowan is getting himself out as often as good bowling is, running between wickets is a problem that should be easily solved and the timing of his aggressive when he was dismissed was sort of out of the blue and not constant like his Gabba innings and although he was dismissed by them I don't think it is a huge technical flaw. Has himself to blame if they go with Watson but not as bad as a lot of posters on here seem to suggest.

The post I originally relpied to said his average flattered him and I still say the exact opposite is true.

On pure talent alone. S Marsh and Ferguon should be in the best 4 or 5 in all forms.
Marsh is an idiot, and Ferguson needs consistency.

Clarke

Warner
Wade
Hughes
Cowan
Watson

Will disregard odis and t20s.
Next best option with the bat is probably Haddin. bleugh.

Our Test Top Six should be

Warner (England last and biggest test.)
Paine
Marsh
Watson
Clark
Bailey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back