Who at your club could be AA for the first time in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
From the Eagles it's really hard to say to say. I think all the usual AA players for us should be up there. Can't see Duggan making it in his first season. Shuey just seems to have constant niggles and genuinely can't see him getting close to a season. Perhaps with Yeo missing it probably opens more midfield time for Dom Sheed. He does have a habit of finding a heap of the ball and also has no find the big sticks.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rich, Mcclugage best chances and probably should have already been AA’s
Raynor and Bailey may have breakout years and go close.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McCluggage makes the most sense - has been in the squad the last 2 years, was a goalkicker in 2019 and then lost his radar to the tune of 7.18 or something last year. If he kicks 25 goals from a wing I think hes actually a pretty likely chance.

The biggest benefit to the side would be a first time AA from Cam Rayner. Doesn't seem realistic this year to me, but if he gets to that level that raises the ceiling on what is achievable for us.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I think it might be Nick Vlastuin. Had a great 2020 year and was a bit unlucky to miss out because of the quality around the league in his position. I think he may be able to take that next step to become AA for the first time in 2021. Dark horse is Shai Bolton for me.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zac Bailey, take it to the bank.
Like the others I was going to suggest McCluggage to take the next step, but I like this suggestion as someone from left field. Either of these two or a big jump from Rayner would be great.

As another (probably far-fetched) suggestion that would help us really to take the next step next year would be if one of our key forwards stepped up big time. If Hipwood and Danniher click to to AA level I think we would be in a great spot

Wow that’s a surprise. I didn’t know that. He’s been pretty consistent over the years
Yeah Tarrant has made the squad a couple of times but keeps just missing out usually due to the rance/mcgovern duo then a 3rd tall will pop out of nowhere (harris andrews and weitering of late) each year just getting ahead of him

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Yeah Tarrant has made the squad a couple of times but keeps just missing out usually due to the rance/mcgovern duo then a 3rd tall will pop out of nowhere (harris andrews and weitering of late) each year just getting ahead of him
Yeah that’s unlucky because he’s been one of the star defenders for quite a few years. Probably just as long as Rance and McGovern have been tbh

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Daicos, I hope. He certainly seems gifted in the athletical genetics department at least.

images (14).jpeg
FB_IMG_1613800982031.jpg

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Loving the love for Taberner here - but I just don't think he's quite at AA standard. Love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it myself. The fact he made the squad last year is an exceptional performance for someone coming off the rookie list with hands like concrete for his first few years.

Cerra - maybe in time; but I'd be happy with another year of progression. I think there are too many other mids in the comp that have more experience and will feature ahead of him. His time will come (as will Serong's).

The only one at Freo I can see would be if Pearce comes back and hits the same form he had in the first half of 2019 - and sustains it for the year. Happy for Blues fans to come at me for this, but he is a far far better player than Weitering and for mine is up there alongside Andrews and Moore as the best Full Backs in the game.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Maynard should’ve been there last season.
Probably could have been if not shown up as beiing actually pretty ordinary by Toby Greene. Was made to look big average by an actual All Australian type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
From the Eagles it's really hard to say to say. I think all the usual AA players for us should be up there. Can't see Duggan making it in his first season. Shuey just seems to have constant niggles and genuinely can't see him getting close to a season. Perhaps with Yeo missing it probably opens more midfield time for Dom Sheed. He does have a habit of finding a heap of the ball and also has no find the big sticks.
I'm actually surprised Shuey hasn't been AA yet. Has put together some top seasons. Very hard to break into the midfield AA and that goes to show it. Gun player.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Most likely is Maynard. He football good.

Best for the club would be Josh Daicos. Beautiful mover and super skilled by foot, and has worked his absolute tail off to become a very good young player.

It would be a massive lift for the club to see the great Daicos name in the AA team, after a few months that make my brain bleed when I think about them.

We're very quietly a little excited with what we've seen of our crop of youngsters in pre season so far (yes, we sold the farm for some magic beans in order to get them and yes, it's ridiculously early days, but you take what you can get as a supporter!). Seeing Josh get to that sort of level after basically being a speculative father son gamble would set our kids a fantastic example to follow. Never know, kid's on a pretty nice career trajectory.

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd say potentially Nick Coffield if he keeps up his rate of progression.

And Rowan Marshall if he stays on the park after getting back from this hot spot in his foot (week 4 or 5)

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Weitering - Should have been last year
Sam Walsh - Trajectory has him on the cusp
Harry McKay - If he kicks straight is right in the race for the coleman.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McCluggage makes the most sense - has been in the squad the last 2 years, was a goalkicker in 2019 and then lost his radar to the tune of 7.18 or something last year. If he kicks 25 goals from a wing I think hes actually a pretty likely chance.

The biggest benefit to the side would be a first time AA from Cam Rayner. Doesn't seem realistic this year to me, but if he gets to that level that raises the ceiling on what is achievable for us.
Clugg getting in does rely on wingan being put on the wings in the AA team though. I'm not sure that's realistic anymore.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As another (probably far-fetched) suggestion that would help us really to take the next step next year would be if one of our key forwards stepped up big time. If Hipwood and Danniher click to to AA level I think we would be in a great spot
Depending on the role Hipwood plays I could see him making a HFF or something like that. I *think* he will be used further up the ground his unique combination of size and speed could see him making a huge impact between the two 50m arches and getting a selection off of that.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Bailey Smith could be our AA bolter.

If Aaron Naughton was to put an AA season together it would catapult us into the top 4.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Weitering was stiff last year not to make it imo. So he would be my pick for first timer.

Harry McKay making the side as Coleman medalist would be huge for us, I think we go as far as McKay can take us this year.

Back