Who brings sandpaper to the cricket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe that Perth test should have an asterix .
The reverse swing that you got in that match was abit fishy .
England's performance in Adelaide should have a massive asterisks next to it too I suppose? Considering they went from 0.46 degrees of swing in the first innings to a massive 1.15 degrees in the second. Fishy af.

The point also still stands that England and Fanie De Villiers suspected we were cheating BEFORE the "one off silly mistake"

Aint it a massive coincidence the South African broadcasters decided to point their cameras away from the boobies between balls and zoom up close on the Aussie fielders at precisely the session when our boys decided to cheat?

Smith & co are liars and they take us all for mugs. To think people praised them for coming clean and fessing up.

They can get f**ked.

I'm not supporting any of these campaigners again

Phew. At least that's one consolation

OP suddenly comes to the horrifying realization that cricket bats are made out of wood.
No. I never would've guessed in a million years that batsmen have sandpaper in their kitbag and use it on their bat right before/or during a game. It wasn't something I ever saw playing under-age cricket. So I learned something last night in this thread. Good. Why would I be horrified about that? I never professed to being an expert on cricket. :rolleyes:

I just posted my thoughts because I had the sudden realisation these guys were bigger cheats than we all thought. That was the point of me starting a thread. It wasn't just a "silly little mistake" by the Aussies which they made because they were under pressure. They want us all to believe they made a bad judgement call in one match and it was out of character, but our opponents already had their suspicions in previous matches.

Seems to me more like brazen cheating from cricketers who thought they wouldn't get caught.

What do you think, mate? Do you think this is the one and only time they've cheated like this?

Last edited:

No. I never would've guessed in a million years that batsmen have sandpaper in their kitbag and use it on their bat in between sessions. So I learned something last night in this thread. Good. Why would I be horrified about that? So a few people on Big Footy's Cricket now know that I never played cricket. Big deal. I never professed to being an expert on the game. :rolleyes:

Then why did you fly off the handle with wild accusations about how long they've been cheating for and a characterization of the entire team as "dirty rotten cheats" and just assume that possession of sandpaper shows MORE premeditated intent?

FYI - it's not that crazy for the ball to reverse swing after 25 overs. Ask England.

Then why did you fly off the handle with wild accusations about how long they've been cheating for and a characterization of the entire team as "dirty rotten cheats" and just assume that possession of sandpaper shows MORE premeditated intent?
:rolleyes: Because I thought them bringing some sandpaper to the game showed they were brazenly cheating with full intent. Not just some random thing they decided to do on the spur of the moment using an item commonly found in a cricketer's bag. I thought maybe that why they lied about the tape vs sandpaper.

But I also thought about HOW they got caught. This wasn't a one-off which just so happened to be picked up by the cameras. People had already suspected these Aussies of ball-tampering. Prior to the session, Fanie De Villiers asked the cameramen to watch the Aussies closely and try to work out which one of them was doing it

So all the apologies and excuses suddenly seemed hollow. These guys weren't sorry they cheated and disgraced the baggy green. They're sorry they finally got caught out and now they have to face the music and suffer the financial consequences.

My ignorance over the sandpaper doesn't really change that. It's pretty obvious today's cricket professionals view ball-tampering as a necessary evil to hasten the reverse swing and that cheating is just part of the game.
FYI - it's not that crazy for the ball to reverse swing after 25 overs. Ask England.
Well, from what I've heard, it is unlikely that a ball will start reverse-swinging after 25 overs and it suggests someone has been tampering with the ball.

So if England managed the same in the recent Ashes series, then they are probably cheating too.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favour and read up on the history of ball tampering in cricket. You'll realize that the Australian media and cricketing world in general have flayed 3 players for actions which are almost accepted at certain levels of the game and at the very least are much more common in the test scene than most people are comfortable admitting. Premeditation ads a certain weight to it, but the ensuing circus has been nothing short of farcical, as are the bans that've been handed down. The ball is arguably tampered with in some form in pretty much every test match, but now THIS is where it becomes unacceptable? Seems an incredibly arbitrary and nonsensical line to draw.

If Fanie de Villiers was interested in any kind of fairness, he'd have had cameras trained on his own country's captain as well. Surely being a serial offender is just as criminal as hatching a plot in desperation? By your definition, most cricketers are cheats, so I'd also suggest examining what you think "cheating" is in a cricketing context.

No. I never would've guessed in a million years that batsmen have sandpaper in their kitbag and use it on their bat right before/or during a game. It wasn't something I ever saw playing under-age cricket. So I learned something last night in this thread. Good. Why would I be horrified about that? I never professed to being an expert on cricket. :rolleyes:

I just posted my thoughts because I had the sudden realisation these guys were bigger cheats than we all thought. That was the point of me starting a thread. It wasn't just a "silly little mistake" by the Aussies which they made because they were under pressure. They want us all to believe they made a bad judgement call in one match and it was out of character, but our opponents already had their suspicions in previous matches.

Seems to me more like brazen cheating from cricketers who thought they wouldn't get caught.

What do you think, mate? Do you think this is the one and only time they've cheated like this?
Yeah no s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back