Who can be improved on to improve our list?

Remove this Banner Ad

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looking through our list I see a lot of improvements required if we are to be a premiership contender.

1. Hickey. .. We need to trade one of our ruckmen. We dont need 4 - 5 out of 40.
2. Carlisle... Keep.
3. Steven....Keep.
4. Gresham..Keep
5. Savage... Can be improved on.
6. Ross.. Keep
7. Dunstan... Can be improved on.
8. Acres. Keep.
9. Steele..... Keep.
10. Freeman.. Let him settle down after long term injury. Keep
11. Montagna. Unfortunately he is getting past his prime. Retire.
12. Reiwoldt. I hope we can get another season out of Nick.
13. Lonie.......Can be improved on
14. Geary.... Keep.
15. Billings. Keep
16, Newnes....Keep
17.. Roberton.. Keep.
18. Longer. See 1.
19. Gilbert. Having his best season for a while. Keep,
20. Armitage. Keep.
21. Long. Keep.
22. Brown. Keep.
23. Goddard. Keep.
24. Dempster. Already gone/
25. Stevens Keep
26. Battle Keep.
27. Bruce. Keep, unless we get a decent offer for him.
28. Membrey, As 27.
29 Webster. Keep.
39. Ed Philips. Keep,
31 White Keep
32 McCartin. Keep.
34. Wright. As 27.
35. Sinclair Keep.
36 McKenzie, Keep
37. Bailey Rice. Keep.
41. Minchington, Can be improved on.
42. Pierce. See 1.
44. Weller. As 27,
45. Holmes. See 1,

So according to me, we need to trade in, draft for seven positions, unless we get offers on the other four, when we could be up to 11 positions. Probably too many in one year, but we need to be looking at more than 5 or 6 traded and drafted. Particularly if we are going to have a go next year.

What does everyone think?

The title of this thread is ambiguous: i thought you were talking about the players themselves improving, but it seems you're talking about getting rid of certain players and bringing in better replacements. I have no idea how to phrase it better.

Looking through our list I see a lot of improvements required if we are to be a premiership contender.

1. Hickey. .. We need to trade one of our ruckmen. We dont need 4 - 5 out of 40.
2. Carlisle... Keep.
3. Steven....Keep.
4. Gresham..Keep
6. Ross.. Keep
8. Acres. Keep.
9. Steele..... Keep.
14. Geary.... Keep.
15. Billings. Keep
16, Newnes....Keep
17.. Roberton.. Keep.
18. Longer. See 1.
20. Armitage. Keep.
21. Long. Keep.
22. Brown. Keep.
23. Goddard. Keep.
25. Stevens Keep
26. Battle Keep.
28. Membrey, As 27.
29 Webster. Keep.
39. Ed Philips. Keep,
31 White Keep
32 McCartin. Keep.
34. Wright. As 27.
35. Sinclair Keep.
36 McKenzie, Keep
37. Bailey Rice. Keep.
42. Pierce. See 1.
44. Weller. As 27,
45. Holmes. See 1,

So according to me, we need to trade in, draft for seven positions, unless we get offers on the other four, when we could be up to 11 positions. Probably too many in one year, but we need to be looking at more than 5 or 6 traded and drafted. Particularly if we are going to have a go next year.

I think every player on the list could be improved on (except for Acres)

Id agree with most of op, with the following exceptions:

Bruce, keep or lose to outstanding offer (as opposed to 'decent')
Membrey, keep.
Armitage, keep or lose to decent offer that benefits him too.
Minchington, keep or lose to decent offer
Weller, see Bruce.

If i had to let 5 players go now, with a heavy heart I'd choose Dempster, Pierce, Armitage, Lonie, Dunstan. I don't want to lose any of them and they all can be good for us going forward (with the exclusion of retiree Dempster), but i think its Hickey or Pierce and though Pierce can also play forward it sounds like Marshall has already overtaken him. I originally chose Hickey, as i think he's probably been stymied by the new rule but he's got a lot of quality that Pierce hasn't shown, and he's not beating down the door at Sandy either.

Armo and Dunstan have been replaced by Steele and Koby in the short term, then the gun midfielder who we pick up at the end of year. If they stay it's because we haven't got enough inside mids.

I love Lonie, love his pressure and confidence, his cheek, but he's just not ruthless enough as a crumber to take the Milne mantle. Can he be? Do we have time to find out?

Obviously NOK, Coughlan and Phillips should also be considered but they haven't even been tried yet, so it would have to be a judgement from the coaches who can see their potential more clearly.

Membrey, keep.
Weller, see Bruce.

If i had to let 5 players go now, with a heavy heart I'd choose Dempster, Pierce, Armitage, Lonie, Dunstan. I don't want to lose any of them and they all can be good for us going forward (with the exclusion of retiree Dempster), but i think its Hickey or Pierce and though Pierce can also play forward it sounds like Marshall has already overtaken him. I originally chose Hickey, as i think he's probably been stymied by the new rule but he's got a lot of quality that Pierce hasn't shown, and he's not beating down the door at Sandy either.

Armo and Dunstan have been replaced by Steele and Koby in the short term, then the gun midfielder who we pick up at the end of year. If they stay it's because we haven't got enough inside mids.

I love Lonie, love his pressure and confidence, his cheek, but he's just not ruthless enough as a crumber to take the Milne mantle. Can he be? Do we have time to find out?

Obviously NOK, Coughlan and Phillips should also be considered but they haven't even been tried yet, so it would have to be a judgement from the coaches who can see their potential more clearly.

100% nailed it

Membrey, keep.
Weller, see Bruce.

I agree with almost all .

I would keep Hickey and drop Pierce off the list as he hasn't come on like we hoped .

Armo would stay because we haven't seen whether he can play with the others yet . It really depends on who we get and whether we have to discard him yet.
Dunstan will stay one more year as back up and because he is liked by the coach.
Phillips will stay as he only came from last draft so needs to be given time to grow.
Haven seen NOK so agree with you on him.
I'd keep Bruce and Membrey and Weller. Bruce and Weller in the leader ship group so can't see either of them being discarded. I don't think they would agree to trade any of those three as all young and have very good potential.

So far I would drop Dempster, Pierce, Lonie and Coughlan . That's 4 if we must lose one more then maybe Holmes or Mich.

So 5 all up and that was hard , lol.

Maybe call it who should be delisted or traded at the end of 2017

Sent via HAL

2. Carlisle... Keep.
3. Steven....Keep.
4. Gresham..Keep
6. Ross.. Keep
8. Acres. Keep.
9. Steele..... Keep.
14. Geary.... Keep.
15. Billings. Keep
16, Newnes....Keep
17.. Roberton.. Keep.
18. Longer. See 1.
20. Armitage. Keep.
21. Long. Keep.
22. Brown. Keep.
23. Goddard. Keep.
25. Stevens Keep
26. Battle Keep.
28. Membrey, As 27.
29 Webster. Keep.
39. Ed Philips. Keep,
31 White Keep
32 McCartin. Keep.
34. Wright. As 27.
35. Sinclair Keep.
36 McKenzie, Keep
37. Bailey Rice. Keep.
42. Pierce. See 1.
44. Weller. As 27,
45. Holmes. See 1,

Alot of the players youve listed 'can be improved on', some had really good form and are down this year. Doesnt mean they wont improve. Others might just be hitting the age of development where they could explode.
Question. Did you hear of Menegola before 2017?
Clubs are really reluctant to get rid of players theyve put years into that feel like their close to being good footballers.
Everyone matures at different time. Tom Lynch?

I agree i think that there is not one spud on our list and all have shown glimpses or have potential. There's not one player i think we absolutely should get rid of.

But we're talking turning a good list into premiership material, and in any case we need to have at least 3 spots free by my reckoning, probably more like 5. Someone's got to go.

I agree i think that there is not one spud on our list and all have shown glimpses or have potential. There's not one player i think we absolutely should get rid of.

But we're talking turning a good list into premiership material, and in any case we need to have at least 3 spots free by my reckoning, probably more like 5. Someone's got to go.
A good kids gotta be tossed out.

Much like Eli last year, perhaps one of Lonie or Rice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back