Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the zoom chat one of our board members had with players the other day; looks like Gunston will accept the role but JOM sounds like he is gunning for it....

Hopefully JOM for the consistency and continuation (probably will hold the role for 6 years). I voted for Gunston though because he is probably the best for the role in the interim (next 2 years)

Unfortunately, if JOM gets it, he will probably have a Vandenberg kind of captaincy.

Based on the zoom chat one of our board members had with players the other day; looks like Gunston will accept the role but JOM sounds like he is gunning for it....

Hopefully JOM for the consistency and continuation (probably will hold the role for 6 years). I voted for Gunston though because he is probably the best for the role in the interim (next 2 years)

Unfortunately, if JOM gets it, he will probably have a Vandenberg kind of captaincy.
Vandenberg kind of captaincy in thst real success won't come till after his tenure/ retirement?

Surely Gunston not an option considering he withdrew from leadership group. The problem with Gunners is that it’s another 2 year option. It would be great to get someone mid 20s and set them up for the next 5+ years.

My money is on JOM, but I don’t say it with a huge amount of confidence. Sicily perhaps if we wasn’t to be injured next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sic, if he hadn't done his knee.

But I think JOM or Gunner. Anyone that can hold up the standards, hold people to account, stand up when needed, take no s**t from no one, challenge the coaching staff...... Hodgey out of retirement anyone?? 😉

Surely Gunston not an option considering he withdrew from leadership group. The problem with Gunners is that it’s another 2 year option. It would be great to get someone mid 20s and set them up for the next 5+ years.

My money is on JOM, but I don’t say it with a huge amount of confidence. Sicily perhaps if we wasn’t to be injured next year.
We just don’t have anyone suitable for the 5 years+, especially with Sicily doing his knee. It’s slim pickings, which is largely why we are where we are.

I think it will need to be a 2-3 year option and hope someone like Worpel or Day is then ready to take charge when we are good again.

Mitchell is a good enough player (at his 2018 output anyway) but I don’t really see him as a leader on or off the field. Maybe an option in the ‘lead by example’ mould.

Jaeger is professional and presentable. But he’s not a damaging player and do you want your captain being someone you don’t want with the ball? There are examples of disciplined role players being good captains though so he’s one of the better options.

With Sicily down, Gunston has emerged as our best player in 2020.

Personally I would go Gunston for 3 years with a view to making young blokes vice captains in year 3 and then a new captain in 2024.

But I think the club will go O’Meara and hope he can help set some good training standards etc

The way I see it:

Should have gone to Gunston or Big Boy two years ago so they had more years in the role.

Think we need a long term captain.

Would have liked Sicily to get it and he’s probably going to be unlucky to miss out due to his injury

So that leaves JOM. Which isn’t such a bad thing. Comes across as a pretty strong leader, I’d just like him to have a bit more mongrel about him and really lift those around him on the field.

I think it will be Gunston if he stays or JOM if Gunston leaves. Omeara set standards through his effort. Was our best mid and up there with Sicily and Gunston for best player before being injured. I think he would also grow into the role better than any other player on our list.

We just don’t have anyone suitable for the 5 years+, especially with Sicily doing his knee. It’s slim pickings, which is largely why we are where we are.

I think it will need to be a 2-3 year option and hope someone like Worpel or Day is then ready to take charge when we are good again.

Mitchell is a good enough player (at his 2018 output anyway) but I don’t really see him as a leader on or off the field. Maybe an option in the ‘lead by example’ mould.

Jaeger is professional and presentable. But he’s not a damaging player and do you want your captain being someone you don’t want with the ball? There are examples of disciplined role players being good captains though so he’s one of the better options.

With Sicily down, Gunston has emerged as our best player in 2020.

Personally I would go Gunston for 3 years with a view to making young blokes vice captains in year 3 and then a new captain in 2024.

But I think the club will go O’Meara and hope he can help set some good training standards etc
I’d have Scrimshaw on that list along with Day and Worpel if we go for a short term option for now.

Gunstan is our most consistent senior player who has tasted succes, lead on field and off! I reckon he could play on for 3 or more years.

JOM is interesting option as he has shown leadership and set standards for himself and others. If appointed, he could rise even further and potentially reach his pre injury playing potential??

Sic pre injury could have been a smokie

Back