Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Given 2021 and 2022 are likely to be dour years, being a skipper will be a tough gig. I reckon that's why they have shielded Mitchell and O'Meara for it and given it to McEvoy on the last legs of his career..
I agree give it to an experienced leader that jas nothing to prove and doesn't have to earn respect from anyone inside or outside the club.

McEvoy is a great leader and bleeds for the club every game... Literally.

If as you negative Nelly's are predicting we are having a tough few years, we will know that the young players are getting the Hawthorn way drilled into them and they will be held to high standards on field.

McEvoy can take the hits and front up to the media after a big loss and "take responsibility for it" when in reality we will have played 8 players with under 20 games. I wouldn't want Mitchell or O'meara having to do that.

Let them take over with us back in finals.

That being said, just like every year I am 100% certain that we will win the premiership in 2021 unless the umpires screw us over again.

Definition of insanity is making the same mistake over & over and expecting a different result. Which is precisely what they're doing with McEvoy.

Captaincy isn't meant to reward an old codger for past service. Its mean to go to the best person to lead the club into the FUTURE. Big Boy is 31, he has no future at Hawthorn. This reeks of Clarko reminiscing over his glory years while every other club is looking ahead. Little wonder we're going backwards.
I mostly agree with your sentiments regarding age and his future going forward. In my humble this is a good decision made two seasons too late, my main concern is that if BB doesn't play 1st ruck then he is just treading water elsewhere on the ground. Something as a club we have had to deal with for the past two captains getting to the point of not being selected on form late in their last seasons.

The only justification I cans see for this appointment at this time in his career is that BB is a major disciple of Ray McLean the creator of the leading teams program. I can see that because Hawthorn have gone back to the Leading teams program this season that having probably the number one fan of the program at the club as captain is a good fit.

32 this year and out of contract. Was just thought of as unlikely.

I don't mind it, but it is a surprise for sure

I was a bit surprised, Mr P...not because McEvoy isn't a competent candidate; he absolute is: integrity, work ethic, teacher, leader. He embodies it all.

His age was the factor - but if form isn't an issue, should age matter? He's obviously the best choice for season 2021.

Everyone on this forum is insane. The players decided on somewhere who they deemed was the best to take the club forward next year. They are much more knowledgeable about who is the most appropriate person for this job is than anyone here is. Calm down.

He ticked all the boxes two year ago better than Stratts He ticks all the boxes now
But where is he going to play and how long do we have him for?

He 32 during the year and no longer seems to be our #1 ruck which means either he's going to be a forward this year or a defender.

With the Patton situation I could see them playing him like they used to play Hale.

As far as bloke's who will bleed for the jumper, lead by example and do media go i think he covers all bases

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He ticked all the boxes two year ago better than Stratts He ticks all the boxes now

He 32 during the year and no longer seems to be our #1 ruck which means either he's going to be a forward this year or a defender.

With the Patton situation I could see them playing him like they used to play Hale.

As far as bloke's who will bleed for the jumper, lead by example and do media go i think he covers all bases
McEvoy is near on the best set shot in the side, so playing more forward is a yes from me.

Best of luck Big Boy! Would have loved him to taken the role when Stratts was announced, but still have no issue considering his obvious leadership and passion.

Worpel being part of the leadership group is the big news here. I would suspect it will be the perfect time to handover the position when Big Boy retires in a couple of years.

At this rate I don't see JOM or Titch ever captaining the club.
...in their 20s.

It isn't hard to predict a 31 year old who's body no longer allows him to play in his best position and hasn't set the world on fire in his new one isn't likely to thrive and may struggle like our last two captains.
Absolute drivel.

There have been games in the last few years where Big Boy has been our only decent player in the middle, our only reliable backman and our only foward option that looked like taking a mark.
Look up most autopsy threads and you will find a shitload of posts that start "With the exception of Big Boy..." or very similar.

Great short term choice. 3 years late especially the heart he showed during the horrid 2017 season , would have been the perfect choice back then but I honestly think we lack leadership so big boy is a good choice he is someone who gives a fcuk !

I'd be interested to know how unexpected this was within the club. Did the coaches and/or board and/or leadership expect it.

My guess is yes. It's a little left field. Which to mean means there was probably a fair bit of "casual conversation" (most likely instigated by coaching staff, leadership group, etc.) about the different potential options and the pros and cons of Big Boy vs JOM/Tom/Jack. I think Big Boy was chosen by the players to lead the team through a tough period, set the right standards, and usher in a new generation of Hawthorn. My hope is that BB is the Richie V of the 2023-30 era.

McEvoy has always been a reliable set shot (88/33 over his career) and can actually clunk a mark when going forward. Has always surprised me that he wasn’t used as more of an option up forward when we struggled depth-wise there. Would love to see him used more in a Hale style of role this year.

I understand we have limited spaces in the leadership group, which means Sic missed out. Perhaps as a result of not being out on the field much in 2021.

I really look forward to Jars being part of the group, and I think it’s a given in a year or two. He’s an absolute ripper.

Back