Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Definition of insanity is making the same mistake over & over and expecting a different result. Which is precisely what they're doing with McEvoy.

Captaincy isn't meant to reward an old codger for past service. Its mean to go to the best person to lead the club into the FUTURE. Big Boy is 31, he has no future at Hawthorn. This reeks of Clarko reminiscing over his glory years while every other club is looking ahead. Little wonder we're going backwards.
Its professional sport , you pick your best captain for now.
Our list doesn't exactly have anyone screaming out captain and leadership at the minute . Probably why opinions of the captain were so split.

If picking BB is a reward for service you can argue that picking one of the other guys is rewarding them for just being in the right spot at the right time.
Rather then them having genuine leadership capabilities.

Definition of insanity is making the same mistake over & over and expecting a different result. Which is precisely what they're doing with McEvoy.

Captaincy isn't meant to reward an old codger for past service. Its mean to go to the best person to lead the club into the FUTURE. Big Boy is 31, he has no future at Hawthorn. This reeks of Clarko reminiscing over his glory years while every other club is looking ahead. Little wonder we're going backwards.
There’s is just so much false assumption going on with with this post, but particularly the bolded part.

1. You have pre-empted a result of this cpatiancy and claimed it a mistake already, marking it as evidence of failure. That's a gross assumption based on nothing to date other than your preconceived bias.
2. The captaincy goes to the person deemed to be the best leader, in that moment. Players do not vote on 'the future'. They vote on who will lead them out on the ground and guide them off it.
3. "He has no future at Hawthorn". Unless you're privy to his testing/GPS/conditioning reports and a time machine, how do you know that he is finishing up this year?
4. There's no "reeking of Clarko" here, it's a player lead vote which has been ratified by the football department and board.

When I was told that BigBoy had won the vote, I was left to question if we'd accept the result, and we have....but I'd have to be pretty thick to think this wasn't a considered result with an eye on just how a transition or growth of the leadership group evolves over the next 12-18 months.

It isn't hard to predict a 31 year old who's body no longer allows him to play in his best position and hasn't set the world on fire in his new one isn't likely to thrive and may struggle like our last two captains.

Is McEvoy's best footy behind him? Maybe... But I just can't see him cracking jokes and laughing with his opponent whilst we're being smacked... That makes him automatically a much better Captain than our last one.

All the talk that we don’t have any leadership in our younger plays ignores that O’Meara is still likely concentrating on his own game after getting his body mostly right. I’d much prefer he focus on his form this year than the extra weight of captaining the club. Same with Mitchell - he’s only one season off a horror leg injury and isn’t yet back to his peak. Both players would be better served focussing more on their own games this year than being burdened with the captaincy.

I don’t think the decision in any way casts doubt on their leadership as they’re still in the leadership group and O’Meara is VC. I think that you’ll more than likely see O’Meara/Worpel leadership team once McEvoy calls it a day.

Is McEvoy's best footy behind him? Maybe... But I just can't see him cracking jokes and laughing with his opponent whilst we're being smacked... That makes him automatically a much better Captain than our last one.
In fact I could see him start to get physical at every contest just to try and lift the team. Put a knee in the stomach of the opposing ruck or make a very hard spoil causing pain for the opposition for example. That's the sort of thing you would expect from a leader as long as its perfectly above board. Stratton would never do any of that.

All the talk that we don’t have any leadership in our younger plays ignores that O’Meara is still likely concentrating on his own game after getting his body mostly right. I’d much prefer he focus on his form this year than the extra weight of captaining the club. Same with Mitchell - he’s only one season off a horror leg injury and isn’t yet back to his peak. Both players would be better served focussing more on their own games this year than being burdened with the captaincy.

I don’t think the decision in any way casts doubt on their leadership as they’re still in the leadership group and O’Meara is VC. I think that you’ll more than likely see O’Meara/Worpel leadership team once McEvoy calls it a day.
If we get 2 years from Mcevoy, Worpel will be 24 and entering his 6th season. Perfect time to pass the baton to a long term captain

Big Boy is first class, you look back to that trade in 2013 for pick 17 and what a steal it was!

I couldn't think of more important player to drive standards and weather a potential storm as we go through a big year of development and changeover. Gunston and Sicily will both not be on the park and they would have been my other two picks.

I think some undervalue how good Mcevoy has been and overvalue Mitchell and Jaeger, this is first-class pick and correct decision for the year ahead, great appointment.

Sounds like Craig McCrae had a big influence here too.

Club historians: Is this the first Hawthorn captain that started their VFL/AFL career at another club before joining Hawthorn?

Certainly in modern times - maybe some trickery-buggery back in the Catholic/Protestant days?

Maybe you should do your own damn research Larry, and stop expecting others to do it for you!

OK:
  • We have Keith Shea who captained in '45 after starting at Carlton. (Now there's an interrupted year for those who thought 2020 was all that!)
  • Jack Carmody ('42) - Collingwood. Another * year
  • Len Thomas ('39) - Swans
  • Ivan McAlpine ('35-'37) - Throwdogs
  • Bill Twomey Sr. ('33) - Collingwood
  • Fred Phillips ('33) - St Kilda - Ooh, this is a good one for a trivia night. Signed as Hawthorn captain coach but died before playing a game for Hawthorn. Replaced by Bill Twomey Sr. before the season started.
  • John Harris ('30-'31) - Collingwood
  • Sir Albert Chadwick ('29) - Melbourne - Geez, could the bloke sound any more Melbourne if he tried? Bit of a war hero, so respec mon!
  • Bert Sutton ('28) - Swans
  • Clarrie Lethlean ('27) - Melbourne - There's a name you don't see enough of these days: "Clarrie"
  • Dan Minogue ('26) - Collingwood and Richmond
  • Jim Jackson ('25) - St Kilda and Collingwood
So absolutely shitloads and nothing to see here. Was the norm until the post-war years it seems. Lots of captain coaches brought in I'd wager - and given we struggled for on field victories from '25 to the late 50's (plus that pesky war) you can understand the churn.

But he's the first since old Keithy Shea by my reckoning. Did I miss anyone?

Good luck Big Ben!

If we get 2 years from Mcevoy, Worpel will be 24 and entering his 6th season. Perfect time to pass the baton to a long term captain

24 is too young for mine. Jaeger will likely be 27-28 around that time and would be better suited I feel - so long as his form is still up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

24 is too young for mine. Jaeger will likely be 27-28 around that time and would be better suited I feel - so long as his form is still up to it.
Jaeger is about to turn 27 and Mitchell turned 28 halfway through this year

It might be the right call, it might be the wrong call. I wouldn’t dare form an opinion either way though for fear of making a gross assumption based on nothing to date other than my preconceived bias.

He’d be 29. With a battered body. With his injury history he’s not the type id see playing well into his 30s. I reckon the captaincy ship just sailed for O’Meara and Mitchell

He’d be 29. With a battered body. With his injury history he’s not the type id see playing well into his 30s. I reckon the captaincy ship just sailed for O’Meara and Mitchell

Agree although we might make Jaeger skipper in 2025 when he's 32 and on his last legs, seems to be our mantra these days so I won't be too hasty ruling it out.

Good on ya Big Boy, I said half way through last year Gunston looked the clear leader and should be captain. But I'm just a keen observer and have no real idea as I'm not involved internally.
Clearly Big Boy was a big favourite amongst the playing group.
May be a short term appointment but I trust the club it was the right one.

Back