Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon JOM first mate.
If they were going to, they'd have done so I think. He'd be 29 at start of 2023 season. With his injury history I don't see him playing well into his 30s so i'd expect the next captain to be a longer term appointment. Worpel would be 24 and ripe to take over.

Great to have BB sign on for 2022.

Could 2023 be the beginning of the Mitchell and Worpel show?
I think it is a bit early to suggest Seamus is captain material 😉

I also think it is too early to be resigning a guy who is basically a year to year proposition. There is no reason to do this now. Love big boy but he isn’t our first choice player in any position any more.

Still feel 24 is too young to captain the side - Worps seems like a mature kid though so I wouldn't be disappointed if he did get it. Would be good to see a captain wearing the 5 again.

wouldn't mind hardwick giving the role a go ;)

Interesting that he's not yet in the leadership group - unless it's not something he's after. Possibly biased as I am a big fan of Dimma - but I have always found that he makes his presence felt on the field and will get stuck into opposition players when there's a bit of attention being given to teammates around him. Definitely not out of place in the 15.

Interesting that he's not yet in the leadership group - unless it's not something he's after. Possibly biased as I am a big fan of Dimma - but I have always found that he makes his presence felt on the field and will get stuck into opposition players when there's a bit of attention being given to teammates around him. Definitely not out of place in the 15.
Didn't Sam Mitchell say that he was a very quiet boy on and off field. Probably needs to lift in that area for captaincy

Didn't Sam Mitchell say that he was a very quiet boy on and off field. Probably needs to lift in that area for captaincy

You'd think so. He's clearly in the leadership group for a reason - but you'd want your captain to make his voice heard on the field at least.

McEvoy signed to the end of 2022.

Makes the leadership pathway very clear I think. Big Boy captain for 2 years and hands over to Worpel as he (and hopefully the side) enters his prime as a long term captain.
I’d be inclined to suggest that it paves the way for some stability and prolonged leadership by appointing Sicily with Worpell to follow suit after BB.
28 is perfect to bridge the gap on the older boys and the up and coming players. He could easily carry the mantle for 3 - 4 years and step aside for Worps for the same period.
I don’t see Mitchell and Jags as the standout next in line guys. I think that the club and the players would love to see a revert back to prolonged leadership similar to what Mitchell and Hodge offered. How that plays out is anyone’s guess but if you look at the Worpell age bracket and put Greaves, Scrimshew and Moore in that group of guys it’s a pretty tough bunch. Lots to play out but I think worth taking note as the next 2 captains are already on the list.

Exactly as I predicted early in this thread we've made the same inexcusably stupid mistake of handing the captaincy to a geriatric non-midfielder three times running. Clarko's trying for an elusive 4peat?

So again for the third consecutive time we're gifting games to a "captain" (in name only) who's incapable of inspiring the team & doesn't deserve his spot.

Do Clarko & Kennett both need to leave before the club gets its s**t together or just one of them? Either way something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big boy is struggling but he is still nowhere near as bad as Stratton was when he is captain.

Ben has lost his jump and whatever speed he had but he is still an endurance beast and his possession numbers are actually okay compared to his career average.

The problem is he is only a mid sized ruck without a leap so he is getting smashed in the hit outs by the massive young 6 foot 10 rucks we see today.

He hasn't

really? highest avg for disposals, goals, marks, and tackles in a year since 2017. in fact, he's averaging more marks and disposals this year than any season since 2011. his influence in the ruck contest hasn't been great but it never has been consistently

he doesn't turn it over much, always gives his all, still above average for contested marking, can kick a goal. aside from a bit of a slide in clearances and hitouts, I haven't thought he's been bad at all. Where's the regression been in your mind, when you look at those stats?

perhaps his leadership hasn't been palpable enough, and his lack of influence in the mid is really affecting us? might be fair to say he's struggling in that regard, but overall I don't see how you can say he's having a poor season

really? highest avg for disposals, goals, marks, and tackles in a year since 2017. in fact, he's averaging more marks and disposals this year than any season since 2011. his influence in the ruck contest hasn't been great but it never has been consistently

he doesn't turn it over much, always gives his all, still above average for contested marking, can kick a goal. aside from a bit of a slide in clearances and hitouts, I haven't thought he's been bad at all. Where's the regression been in your mind, when you look at those stats?

perhaps his leadership hasn't been palpable enough, and his lack of influence in the mid is really affecting us? might be fair to say he's struggling in that regard, but overall I don't see how you can say he's having a poor season
Quite so.

When Stratton was captain his statistical output dropped off a cliff whereas at least Big Boy is still giving it his all and maintaining his output (statistically at least)

I think he has definetly slowed down a bit though and lost his (already small) jumping ability but it can't be easy being his age and an undersized sole ruck against monsters like Gawn who are in their prime.

Still not sure it was the right decision making him captain but he is trying his guts out which is all you can ask.

Quite so.

When Stratton was captain his statistical output dropped off a cliff whereas at least Big Boy is still giving it his all and maintaining his output (statistically at least)

I think he has definetly slowed down a bit though and lost his (already small) jumping ability but it can't be easy being his age and an undersized sole ruck against monsters like Gawn who are in their prime.

Still not sure it was the right decision making him captain but he is trying his guts out which is all you can ask.

his last five weeks has also been against:

NicNat, Marshall/Ryder, ROB, Gawn and Goldstein. Add in Grundy and there's your top 6 ruck combos in the league. Pretty tough ask for anyone, let a lone a bloke who's never been much of a game-winner in the actual ruck contests.

Yeah, I think we should've gone with JOM but I'm not sure it would make a difference anyway.

How many of his past seasons was he playing as a solo ruck?

his last five weeks has also been against:

NicNat, Marshall/Ryder, ROB, Gawn and Goldstein. Add in Grundy and there's your top 6 ruck combos in the league. Pretty tough ask for anyone, let a lone a bloke who's never been much of a game-winner in the actual ruck contests.

Yeah, I think we should've gone with JOM but I'm not sure it would make a difference anyway.
The problem is he is just struggling to compete with those guys now, i love Big Boy and always will but he is averaging his least amount of hit outs since his second season in the league (not including last year).

His effort and heart is still going at 100% but his body is just letting him down.

The frustrating thing is this hasn't come out of no where, we have had people on this board telling us for years his body was struggling. So we decide to extend his contract a year in advance? Seems a really odd decision.

I also agree with what someone mentioned above, it may be time to change the way we pick our captains. 3 straight captains struggling to hold on to a spot in the best 22 is just not good for the club.

Back