Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunston looks like he wants it the most at the moment. I think it can be Gunner's with the aim of eventually handing off to Sic, or it'll be JOM. I feel like he's the kind of bloke who would thrive under the pressure of it (loves the limelight)

Today was a pretty clear indication that Gunners is our best on field leader.

But we haven't picked our last 2 captain's based on this.

JOM just ain't that good. Hasn't shown a high ceiling at all at Hawthorn so not sold on him. Hasn't shown he has that extra level.

Tom Mitchell was the next in line pre injury so if he has a good preseason he is the best chance. Would feel more comfortable with him than JOM. would be fine with Gunners too.

Kaity

Draftee
Oct 13, 2007
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel like I saw an interview with ,, JOM? .. someone? that pointed to the offfield influence that stratton had on him...
i think we put too much emphasis on on-field but dont think about the impact a leader has 6/7 days theyre not on the field. we were fortunate to have mitchell and hodge.... but even then didnt we cruicfy mitchell after he couldnt back it up in the lime light? we need to find a mix of onfield and off-field and I am excited to think that a premiership player won't be a captain ... as that shows the impact they have. JFC just dont have co-captains and we shall be sweet.

Today was a pretty clear indication that Gunners is our best on field leader.

But we haven't picked our last 2 captain's based on this.

JOM just ain't that good. Hasn't shown a high ceiling at all at Hawthorn so not sold on him. Hasn't shown he has that extra level.

Tom Mitchell was the next in line pre injury so if he has a good preseason he is the best chance. Would feel more comfortable with him than JOM. would be fine with Gunners too.

You might be right, but leadership and footy skills are very different things.
I don't agree that the best player should be captain.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t forget that Gunston is a big game player. Has kicked more GF goals than just about anyone in the AFL. He has shown this year he is our best and should be AA - equal second on Coleman medal.
I will be frankly disappointed if he is not made captain . He could go for 4 years too
This. It's a no brainer.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t forget that Gunston is a big game player. Has kicked more GF goals than just about anyone in the AFL. He has shown this year he is our best and should be AA - equal second on Coleman medal.
I will be frankly disappointed if he is not made captain . He could go for 4 years too
I also agree that Gunners is our best option.

But the thing none of us knows is whether he actually wants the role?

And there is a risk of added responsibility of being captain taking away his focus on playing his absolute best footy (look at what happened with Stratton).

Of course on the flip side some players thrive on the responsibility and reach greater heights (I personally feel like Jack would rise to the challenge).

These things are impossible to ascertain from outside the club.

Rioli magic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think Gunners should have been captain two years ago. Still a good choice.

Think Mitchell might get it - ticks all the boxes. Off field Preparation , Consistency , Big game player, Durable , Speaks incredibly well, current Vice Captain...

Hawk Hawkins

Club Legend
May 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe we should pick the next weeks captain on the previous week’s performance next year?

Might be nothing more to this than coincidence but it was interesting that the club used JOM for the Stratton tribute video.

He also helped to carry Stratts off the field(with poppy), with Chip, McEvoy and Burger.

Gunston not involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be nothing more to this than coincidence but it was interesting that the club used JOM for the Stratton tribute video.

He also helped to carry Stratts off the field(with poppy), with Chip, McEvoy and Burger.

Gunston not involved.
What are you suggesting?

gianytee

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2010
camberwell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To me it has to be Gunston, just because I feel it needs to be a clear transition plan laid out. My big problem with Roughy & Stratton as captain it was never clear at least to me.

Always thought Lewis would be captain after Hodge (now that worked out ok as we were never giving Lewis 3 years) so Rough was an ok option but following that I always thought they planned on Shiels or Gunston then it went to Stratts.

I think Gunston is our true leader now anyways and ideally Sicily is understudy for 2 years with the 3rd as captain with Gunston helping him out.

I know JOM is a popular choice, but he is our third best mid who goes in and out of games all the time. That’s not the captain we want or need right now, however great VC though.

Gunston not involved.

And JOM did the debut presentation for Finn.

twentythree

Senior List
Aug 22, 2009
Geelong - Enemy Territory
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I said it before Stratts, its gotta be Big Boy hes tough no nonsense and sets a good example and being a ruckman? he's in the thick of it ... natural leader.
I remenber back to the 90s when Dunstall was skipper, great player but stuck at full forward out of the action .... Johnny Platten woulda been a better captain.
Not saying players stay in their positions these days but just sayin

Gohawthorn13

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Calm down farmer greg, nothing about the quality of the players... I was talking quality of captaincy and the era's that I believe will be similar.

If anything it was a compliment to JOM to carry the torch through a quiet period...
Your comment implied you weee comparing quality of player. And you can’t know what type of captain someone will be till there in the job.

Your comment implied you weee comparing quality of player. And you can’t know what type of captain someone will be till there in the job.

Based on an implication that you erroneously interpreted my comment more like it.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we need to look at a 3-4 yr tenure. Unfortunately with Sicily going down we are locking in Mitch or Jags with the latter “coached” to captain a club from the first steps in the AFL.
Our captain after the next appoint is already on our list and you could say Hardwick, Worpel, Cousins, Moore, Scrimshaw are the choices from an age perspective only. That gets these boys to 25-26 with again a 3-5 yr tenure.
It is not a coincidence that getting the captaincy wrong after Hodge has contributed to the current leadership position. Shiels looked as though he was always groomed to be captain. That trigger should have been pulled when we had the chance.
2 year caretaker Captains is a bit of a joke to be honest. Consistency and confidence in a leader is inspiring and contagious within a club. People will bang on about Hodge but Mitchell was just as good in a different way. Players followed and listened to these guys.

Back