Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be Gunston, always plays good in bad or good games and looks like he gives a s**t when we are losing. Plays with 100% effort all the time.

According to Footy Wire in 2020 he averaged the 2nd most clangers per game (4.33), the 39th most possessions per game (20.83) and the 42nd most contested possessions (9.0).
For the record, frees against can also be counted as clangers. His fend offs that don’t work are a large part of his Clanger count.

My preference is O’Meara for the role but I’m not 100% sold either. I find it a bit disappointing that we don’t have one or two players that are demanding the captaincy like we did back when Hodge and Mitch were coming through the ranks.

We have senior players that would be more like placeholders (McEvoy, Gunston, Shiels) and we have players who might be right for the role (Mitchell, O’Meara, Sicily) but no standout choice.

Say what. We don’t have another defensive mid even close to being as good at locking down in the middle as pup.
Prefer to give it to Cuz now. Did a great job on Merrett a few years back.
Keen to see Finn in there too. We need to refresh the look and move on from some of the older folk for mine.
Was disappointed with Shiels' season this year, along with many others. Would've been nice to see him step up in some of those hidings we copped, as a senior player.

Keen to see Finn in there too. We need to refresh the look and move on from some of the older folk for mine.
Was disappointed with Shiels' season this year, along with many others. Would've been nice to see him step up in some of those hidings we copped, as a senior player.
He definitely didn’t have a great year (as did many others). You’d back him in to bounce back this year. Playing cousins as a lockdown mid takes away his best attributes.

Perfectly said mate.

Mates and I were on the beers chatting recently and as you do, we talked guns and spuds. When discussing what is a good AFL footballer? I simply said Liam Shiels. 220 solid, sometimes very good, hardly ever (until this year) bad. Would never have been near being dropped since debuting.

But I think he should start on the outside looking in from here on, with the two you mentioned being provided every opportunity. The downside for Shiels is he really isn't capable of playing any other role away from midfield. He could possibly do a Matthew Boyd, but we are stacked with small/medium defenders.

Last edited:
Perfectly said mate.

Mates and I were on the beers chatting recently and as you do, we talked guns and spuds. When discussing what is a good AFL footballer? I simply said Liam Shiels. 220 solid, sometimes very good, hardly ever (until this year) bad. Would never have been near being dropped since debuting.

But I think he should start on the outside looking in from here on, with the two you mentioned being provided every opportunity. The downside for Shiels is he really isn't capable of playing any other role away from midfield. He could possibly do a Matthew Boyd, but we are stacked with small/medium defenders.
I'd say it's his last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your point, but neither Finn or Cousins are going to be the defensive mid that Shiels can be in the short term, if at all.

Clarkson will play him until he has nothing to give, you know it as well as I do.

Regardless, he won’t be captain.

I thought Shiela was solid until those couple of games where he took big knocks in consecutive weeks. That really seemed to take a toll and he never quite got going again. I would not to like to write off a consistent solid performer so quickly.

I've got to admit, Shiels is one of those players I just never consciously notice. The other point is; I'm willing to give every player a pass on 2020, because everyone will have a better 2021 - that's when I'll make judgements.

For the record, frees against can also be counted as clangers. His fend offs that don’t work are a large part of his Clanger count.

Yup, and while JOM gave away only the 8th number of frees in the competition this year, 6 of the 7 players ahead of him were Rucks who are massive infringers in general. He had the second highest average frees against for non-rucks (Yeo the only non-ruck with more), so I think it is fair to say those clangers come with a very big free against contribution. Guess who the #1 player for average clangers was according to Footywire? Yeo, and I think that confirms frees against are a big factor in the clanger stats for these type of players.

I think it’s important that we don’t choose our next captain based on the last choice being a poor one (Stratton). IMO the next captain should be Gunston because I feel he has leadership qualities that the other likely candidates don’t. Also I have no issues with him being captain for 2-3 seasons to bring us a little stability until a more clear replacement comes to the fore.

For me, it's time for another Richie Vandenberg. Someone who is a great role model, isn't afraid of telling players that they need to change and will perform the role for about two years then move aside as another decade of strength unfolds. Not really sure who that is?

Back