Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For me it is Gunston, 29, senior player who has at least 3-4 more good years left in him. I would then have Sicily (25), Scrimshaw (22), Worpel (21) and Day (19) in leadership group. All could be future captains of our great club, but I think Will Day can captain after Gunston. Now everyone will say he is too young, Bontempelli was named Bulldogs captain at 20.
If Day is after Gunston he will be 23-24 and had 4-5 years in Hawthorn system.
Just my 2 cents worth, go Hawks

I love JOM but giving it to him may result in another Stratton issue. Not because he will play like he doesn’t care but because does everyone see JOM at the hawks for another 5 years??

I read somewhere he is a top 5 earner at the club with between 700-800k if this is true does everyone feel he is worth that. I can think of 30+ Mids better than him and if his contracts runs out next year. Wouldn’t it be in Hawks best interest to target FA”s who compliment Mitchell & Worpel (who I both feel are better than JOM). Especially if he leaves we should get the same compo as Brad Crouch which is a massive overpayment for JOM.

I just think you want a captain who will be here for 5 plus years and that is Sicily, with Gunston as the stopgap.

Not a great situation in itself but I’d rather the above than overpaying JOM another few years.

just my 2 cents ofcourse though.

I love JOM but giving it to him may result in another Stratton issue. Not because he will play like he doesn’t care but because does everyone see JOM at the hawks for another 5 years??

I read somewhere he is a top 5 earner at the club with between 700-800k if this is true does everyone feel he is worth that. I can think of 30+ Mids better than him and if his contracts runs out next year. Wouldn’t it be in Hawks best interest to target FA”s who compliment Mitchell & Worpel (who I both feel are better than JOM). Especially if he leaves we should get the same compo as Brad Crouch which is a massive overpayment for JOM.

I just think you want a captain who will be here for 5 plus years and that is Sicily, with Gunston as the stopgap.

Not a great situation in itself but I’d rather the above than overpaying JOM another few years.

Mate JOM ain't going anywhere and he is at the top of the list to lead this great club.

Gunston having back surgery for a bulging disk and out for 4-5 months according to the club.

Don't see them making him Captain while he's out injured, might have narrowed the choices a bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's a good idea to have a captain start their role recovering from back surgery
McEvoy or o’meara are pretty good leaders so they can cover for him. Gunston is by far the best candidate atm, he’ll be a great captain for the next 3 or so years. I agree it’s not ideal but he is the best option.

McEvoy or o’meara are pretty good leaders so they can cover for him. Gunston is by far the best candidate atm, he’ll be a great captain for the next 3 or so years. I agree it’s not ideal but he is the best option.
For me I didn't think he was the right choice before the injury.

I want someone who wasn't part of a flag leading us to the next one, it's time for a real changing of the guard this team needs to find it's identity.

O'Meara is the only one you've named that fits that for me

For me I didn't think he was the right choice before the injury.

I want someone who wasn't part of a flag leading us to the next one, it's time for a real changing of the guard this team needs to find it's identity.

O'Meara is the only one you've named that fits that for me
Fair enough mate, I like o’meara heaps too also helps he is around that 26 -27 bracket and he is very well spoken.

Jaeger loves it at the Hawks and knows and appreciates what a great club it is. He won't be leaving.

I think people get a little caught up with wanting the captain to be the best player.

If O'meara came on to be the absolute superstar we hoped i reckon everyone in here would be wanting him to be captain.

This club needs stability and O'meara will provide that being able to lead this club for the next 4+ years. He can be the link between the older guys and the new young kids coming in. Been in the leadership group for multiple years and was the (vc) last year. Seems the perfect candidate.

I think people get a little caught up with wanting the captain to be the best player.

If O'meara came on to be the absolute superstar we hoped i reckon everyone in here would be wanting him to be captain.

This club needs stability and O'meara will provide that being able to lead this club for the next 4+ years. He can be the link between the older guys and the new young kids coming in. Been in the leadership group for multiple years and was the (vc) last year. Seems the perfect candidate.
Yep.

The back injury to Gunners makes it even more likely.

Back