who could do a 'Bailey Williams' next year?

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Talented, but inconsistent fringe player with weaknesses -> dependable lock in the space of a preseason.

Who can do it in 2021?

Schache?
Dale?
Le young?
La Young?
Richards?
Lipinski?
Vandameer?
McLean?

Im including those last two because even though it seems like they have it all together, we've seen time and again promising players seemingly locking themselves into the best side in the back half of a year only to disappear from sight the next. McLean has already done it multiple times, from fringe to premiership hero and back again, for reasons no general fans understand. Will 2021 be a McLean on or off year?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Matthew Suckling

For me the nearest equivalent to Williams’ situation is Richards. Has all the skills but is just not delivering.

Not saying he will turn it around but he bloody well needs to. I hope he’s getting some strong mentoring and being told a few home truths over the off season.

doggy_dog

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope Lewis Young breaks through

McLean will be lucky to play a game next year with his knee

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm gonna continue to be the complete optimist and nominate Fergus Greene

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm gonna continue to be the complete optimist and nominate Fergus Greene
F.Y.F that's a big call BHS, after the trading of Dunkley i am going to say Rhylee West after his injection into the midfield to cover Dunkley. ;)

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
I hope we're talking of Lewis Young as an untouchable at the end of next year, yet I'm concerned that we'll do something silly and either delist or trade this off season.

Assuming that VFL is back, I hope Greene knocks the door down so hard that he can't be ignored. That we gave so many chances to Lloyd and Gowers yet the young fella who was consistently kicking 3+ goals in the scratch matches couldn't get a single game is quite irritating.

Don't think he'll "do a Williams", but hope by the end of next year he's established himself in the 22. But again, he's another I'm quite worried that we may seen offloaded (while retaining Lloyd and Gowers...) and/or replaced with mature age alternatives that aren't necessarily going to be much better from elsewhere. As an example, looking at Hannan's history, geez he seems to go completely missing in his team's losses.

Cavarra another that I hope the VFL provides the platform to not be ignored with a few standout performances. Another non-selection throughout the year I can't quite get my head around - feels as if we're basically scouring the country for another Puopolo-type pressure forward, yet that Adelaide game, Cavarra played as if he was a 23 year old Puopolo's twin brother, then dropped after one so-so game in tough conditions.

I hope we're talking of Lewis Young as an untouchable at the end of next year, yet I'm concerned that we'll do something silly and either delist or trade this off season.

Assuming that VFL is back, I hope Greene knocks the door down so hard that he can't be ignored. That we gave so many chances to Lloyd and Gowers yet the young fella who was consistently kicking 3+ goals in the scratch matches couldn't get a single game is quite irritating.

Don't think he'll "do a Williams", but hope by the end of next year he's established himself in the 22. But again, he's another I'm quite worried that we may seen offloaded (while retaining Lloyd and Gowers...) and/or replaced with mature age alternatives that aren't necessarily going to be much better from elsewhere. As an example, looking at Hannan's history, geez he seems to go completely missing in his team's losses.

Cavarra another that I hope the VFL provides the platform to not be ignored with a few standout performances. Another non-selection throughout the year I can't quite get my head around - feels as if we're basically scouring the country for another Puopolo-type pressure forward, yet that Adelaide game, Cavarra played as if he was a 23 year old Puopolo's twin brother, then dropped after one so-so game in tough conditions.
It was extremely unfortunate (not just for our club of course) that the VFL was cancelled this year. So many young players disadvantaged by not being able to hone their craft in a fair dinkum competition (can't count scratch matches). And now the lists will be shortened as well. It's hugely disappointing for so many people and will no doubt spell the end for many kids' dreams. Let's hope they can get the comp going again in 2021, but there are no guarantees :(.

The closest comparison to me is Vandermeer.
Williams always had the ability at AFL level from his first games, just needed time to become more consistent.
I personally don't think Richards has shown that he has that ability as yet (but I think he has the tools to get there). Richards to me is kinda like a player like Nathan Eagleton who slowly progressed his ability over his whole career and ended up quite a good player but was maligned early in his career.
VDM has shown that he has AFL level ability, but still went missing for large portions of games this year. I think he can transition to a best 22 lock next year.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bailey Dale.

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After he has another preseason I think Vandermeer will be the big improver next year. I know he’s a “proven player” but Bruce will be right behind him as I’m not judging him on this year and I think he will click next year.

VDM for me, if he didn't play himself into lock status this year. Has pace and mongrel, both ingredients we lack.

I’d have thought VDM was already a lock. He didn’t get picked for the EF but I think that was because of a question mark over his hammy.

For different reasons Richards is also a lock in the 22 but many of us are struggling to understand why.

whyBulldogs

Debutant
Oct 5, 2020
North West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Josh Bruce...at least that what we hope next year because the bar was set so low this year

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bailey Dale I hope. He’s shown the greatest upside of all the players on that list at AFL with his firm late last year. Just needs to lift his work rate defensive game and he’ll make it.

VDM to me is already a best 22 lock. Reminds me so much of Picken although not as strong a marking target. If he stays fit I can see him carving out a role on our forward flank for the next decade at the dogs.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Laitham Vandermeer or Patrick Lipinski

The key with Bailey is that many of us saw it coming for a while.

Who can we say that about now?
Richards maybe?
You may be one who kept the faith GA, but 12 months ago he was generally on the nose in this forum. I agree his junior form and a previous top 10 B&F finish suggested he was always going to make it. I think somebody here (Dale4captain or Fronkalicious?) said he had problems with lactic acid build-up, although it wasn't fully explained how that happened and how he got over it. So, if correct, it was perhaps a physiological cause to his dip in form in 2019.

There's so much going on that we on BF don't know about and that can result in people putting it down to the player being "lazy" or "uninterested" or some other off-hand criticism.

I still think Richards is the one best equipped to have a breakout year but I really don't know what's been holding him back. Is he really at his ceiling already? I hope not.

For all his occasional flashes of form I remain wary of Bailey Dale. Naturally I'd love him to prove me wrong and become a 30-40 goal a year forward with a fanatical tackling streak. I just have little confidence it will happen after his 6 years on the list.

Schache is the other one that has potential to achieve a lot more but the signs aren't good for him, especially at the Doggery with Naughton, Bruce and JUH on the list. If he had the mental attitude of Naughton I reckon he'd make it. Can that be learned/instilled?

I've definitely cooled on Lipinski and I suspect MC has too. He's not far off his ceiling IMO. However I'll give him some leeway as he has been on the list only 4 years - one year less than Williams. If he's ever going to cement a place in the senior side it needs to be in 2021. The injury to McLean gives him an opportunity.

Back