who could do a 'Bailey Williams' next year?

I could have posted this elsewhere (Brownlow thread or What They're Saying thread) but it's topical here, considering we are asking about who might step up and how might they do it.

This article traces the evolution of Lachie Neale's game and what he did this year that was different. He took on risk. He also has more shots on goal these days.

Maybe that's relevant to Jack Macrae as well? He gets an AA but he doesn't have the hurt factor that Neale has.

Is Garcia eligible for this thread?
Wouldn't think so. Has only run out in a few scratch matches since returning from his ACL rehab and seems to have shown a lot of promise. Doesn't quite fit the OP description:

"Talented, but inconsistent fringe player with weaknesses -> dependable lock in the space of a preseason. "

But you're dead right in that he gives us reason to dream of somebody new emerging and having an impact.

1603181086067.png

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love it to be Dale but he has gone backwards

Vandermeer the most obvious but if it wasn’t him I would say Richards but he may be a year or two off yet

Southern 8

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Marcus Bontempelli. It’s time to become the best player in the league. Leave Neale, Martin, Danger and the rest in your wake. Vandermeer and Richards will have very good years and bring the speed and aggression.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope Lewis Young breaks through

McLean will be lucky to play a game next year with his knee

ah yeah, the knee. :(

Lewis Young is the one I'd like to see.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A bit left field but I think JJ could have a good year in a new role. He got on the scoreboard when played on the wing/half forward towards the end of the year. He's been bogged down the last few years with teams employing defensive tactics against him at half back.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
A bit left field but I think JJ could have a good year in a new role. He got on the scoreboard when played on the wing/half forward towards the end of the year. He's been bogged down the last few years with teams employing defensive tactics against him at half back.
Given we seem to be stocked for half back types and have seen many trade suggestions for a damaging wingman, I’d consider a move there permanently. He has good skills (given time and space) and has shown the ability to hit the scoreboard.

My only concern is that if he becomes ‘too damaging’, teams will just sit someone on him and has shown he will go missing.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given we seem to be stocked for half back types and have seen many trade suggestions for a damaging wingman, I’d consider a move there permanently. He has good skills (given time and space) and has shown the ability to hit the scoreboard.

My only concern is that if he becomes ‘too damaging’, teams will just sit someone on him and has shown he will go missing.

If a side sat a midfielder on him that's a win IMO

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ll go with Rhylee West.

Whilst he’s still got time to find his feet, he strikes me a player that could launch straight into the best 22 with a great preseason and many of his types do start to flourish a lot more in their 3rd/4th seasons.

Starts the 2021 season with what, 3 preseasons under his belt? He may be much closer than we think.

Yesterday Dog

Senior List
Oct 9, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bailey Dale. 100%.

Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we lose Dunkley do we throw Williams in the midfield and subsequently give Richards a role in the backline? If we play Richards behind the ball he is a strong chance to come on in a big way.

I'm going to go left field and say butler. I was big on him this year and think he would've got more games if the vfl was up and running. I'm backing him in to have a big pre season and hopefully push up onto a wing
Certainly didn't look that far off the required level in his two senior outings. Not a bad find at pick #53.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Certainly didn't look that far off the required level in his two senior outings. Not a bad find at pick #53.
His biggest issue this year was rushing his kicks out of defence, once his confidence builds he will neaten up his disposal. Also with young going he loses a little bit of competition for his spot

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
End of last year I thought Bailey's career would just mellow out, so based on that I pick Bailey Dale

Back