Remove this Banner Ad

My World Cup team

GK: J Weitering
Backs: A Saad, D Moore, H Andrews , E Gulden
Mids: N Daicos, S Walsh, I Rankine, Z Butters
Forw: C Cameron, B Fritsch

Subs: B Maynard, G Miers, J Rachele, S Bolton, C Serong, J Ugle-Hagan
Sub GK: T Stewart

Apparently Scott Pendlebury played a game of basketball once.

Only heard it referenced 2359017285401947232 times during his career.

We have seen a few failed attempts of NRL to AFL but who could go the other way?
Watching Reid today for a split second I thought maybe he would be better at NRL?
Trying to think of others with potential for the switch past or present, maybe Leigh Matthews?, Mcleod (maybe too light?), Dangerfield, Fevola?, Franklin?
Reid would be an unbelievable full back. Like Walsh @ Broncos but with a leap as well.
Kouta would have made a great winger.
Any if the great centremen with awareness could have been a half back - controlling the play. Diesel, S Mitchell, Hodge, Pendles.

Reid would be an unbelievable full back. Like Walsh @ Broncos but with a leap as well.
Kouta would have made a great winger.
Any if the great centremen with awareness could have been a half back - controlling the play. Diesel, S Mitchell, Hodge, Pendles.
Kouta that’s a good call!

Jake Lever looks like a Badminton player to me , could easily make the swap

I reckon Chad Warner could play League. Great side step

Last edited:
Just a thought bubble…
But for soccer you need quick pace, great ball skills, high level evasive skills, not too bulky a frame and the ability to quickly read the play.
Maybe these guys would have what it takes to have been decent soccer players;
Nick Daicos, Josh Daicos, Izak Rankine, Charlie Cameron, Josh Rachele, Shai Bolton, Bailey Fritsch, Sam Walsh, Gryan Miers, Jack Ginnivan, Errol Gulden, Caleb Serong…
Soccer is not just highly skilled, but the skills required are very unique. Ball control with your feet, chest and head is a skill pretty much exclusive to the sport, and virtually every top level player needs to be elite at it. Which means years, if not decades of practice.

Basketball to footy is a tiny jump in comparison to just about every sport to soccer. That's why you don't see soccer clubs recruiting elite athletes from other sports, they know it's a waste of time.

I thought cricket has the most opportunity it has ever had with all the high paying t20 competitions around now. Before it seemed like if your not playing for Australia might as well try something else.
There's a lot more money being a long term list-clogger in the AFL than a bit-part franchise player. Only IPL pays particularly highly, and not many get a crack at that.
There's 700+ players on AFL lists, maybe 400 make a career out of it. Probably less than 80 can do so in cricket. 200k is probably getting into the top 40 or so earners in the BBL, and they aren't all Australian. D-graders who somehow hang in squads can get that for 10 years in the AFL - its almost a base payment for non-rookies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes wouldn't be easy but who would you chose as the best contender?
Lafou from Richmond was on Storm list right? He hasn't done much but probably looks better than the other two attempts.
Was a junior but nit obviously Storms senior list

Garry Ablett jbr for sure.

Heard that Storm and Geelong had a pre season scrimmage around 2009ish and they were playing some hybrid touch footy game and the players just stood aside and watched Billy Slater and Gaz go one on one. I would have paid to gave watched that

Sam Mitchell would have made a very good rugby scrum half.
Buddy Franklin as a league 5/8th.
Tom Hawkins as a rugby breakaway.

Last edited:
League is an awful sport

We're lucky to have to excellent games in Australia.
I wish more people would embrace the other sport, instead of ignorantly calling it crap.
I went out and tried it, and once I learned about the sport I learned to love it.

We have seen a few failed attempts of NRL to AFL but who could go the other way?
Watching Reid today for a split second I thought maybe he would be better at NRL?
Trying to think of others with potential for the switch past or present, maybe Leigh Matthews?, Mcleod (maybe too light?), Dangerfield, Fevola?, Franklin?
I think the vast majority of AFL players outside the skinny flankers could play NRL. Comeon, it's a low skill sport.

We're lucky to have to excellent games in Australia.
I wish more people would embrace the other sport, instead of ignorantly calling it crap.
I went out and tried it, and once I learned about the sport I learned to love it.
Totally agree. I hate AFL fans that bag NRL or NRL fans that bag AFL.

I grew up on Aussie rules but when Storm came in I thought 'Melbourne team, I'll go to a game and give it a go'. Yes I love Aussie rules more but league is great and Storm are a great team to support.

Going back a little but heard Laurie Daley say he and Paul Kelly played both Aussie rules and Rugby league together. Both could have played the other code no doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back