Who couldn’t Malthouse work with at Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond were a revolving door of administration and staff around the mid to late 90s, it’d be pretty hard to nail down but probably someone dating back to his time as a player I’d guess.

Just reading about Malthouse’s well deserved Hall of Fame entry, the article mentions he could have been the Tigers coach back in 1999 but there was someone at Richmond he couldn’t work with. That someone isn’t named, he ended up at Collingwood & that was that.

Who was at Richmond then that didn’t see eye to eye with him?
Caro?

Yeah. Years back I read Sir Douglas Hawkins' poignant autobiography Hawk Namure and he wasn't too enamoured with Mick's reign of evil at the club either. I must see if I still have it somewhere...
I've seen Doug publicly praise Malthouse (may have been on Open Mike?), said he was exactly what the club needed, brought in a level of professionalism that hadn't been seen before. He might not have been well liked, but the players obviously respected him, at least in the early years, to play to his instruction and get results. i.e win finals.

Mick does come across as a crotchety old prick though.

Malthouse is old school like a Blight. Came across as a bit w***eridh, demanded results and went hard after players who didn’t follow their line. However it clearly worked.

For what it’s worth, during last year’s finals series I went to a client’s function where they got Mick to speak. They paid him to turn up and speak for a bit and mingle until 7pm. At about 9pm he was still talking footy with anyone who still cared.

Didn’t think much of him before that but while he was very intense and has burned some bridges he was probably an ok bloke.

We were a shambles of a club back then it would have been the right decision

That wouldn’t have mattered to him.

He’s on the record as saying “When I came to Collingwood, they were shithouse”

That wouldn’t have mattered to him.

He’s on the record as saying “When I came to Collingwood, they were shithouse”
Yeah but I mean at least Collingwood appeared to have a good administration in place even though the team was crap. Richmond's administration prior to Gale arriving was a joke.

Yeah but I mean at least Collingwood appeared to have a good administration in place even though the team was crap. Richmond's administration prior to Gale arriving was a joke.

Collingwood were broke, Victoria Park was a shambles, and had just won the wooden spoon. The only thing they had going for them was a President with a vision.

Last edited:
They hate each other. Malthouse was Brad’s coach at the bulldogs, left after 2 seasons with his first winning a Brownlow. No love lost between those 2. I know Brad and he is a lovely guy, I’ve never met Malthouse but he seems like a prick.
Hardie seems completely toxic as a media person.

For what it’s worth, during last year’s finals series I went to a client’s function where they got Mick to speak. They paid him to turn up and speak for a bit and mingle until 7pm. At about 9pm he was still talking footy with anyone who still cared.

Didn’t think much of him before that but while he was very intense and has burned some bridges he was probably an ok bloke.
Hey I've heard he is super nice in person as well.

But that's footy and the media. Some blokes you expect to be alright turn out to be w***ers (Billy Brownless). Some you expect to be w***ers and they are (Gary Lyon, Rodney Eade, Tim Watson). Some you expect to be w***ers and they couldn't be friendlier (Basil Zemplas, Sam Newman).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Malthouse enjoys being hated and polarising. It is his oxygen. But he will back you all the way if you follow his rules. I met him briefly late 70s, fanatical fitness freak, ultra-disciplined, little sense of humour, straight down the middle. Loved him as a player, very under rated, and thought what he did at the Dogs was fantastic. Many of his ex players also love him, it is worth remembering.

Unfortunately, his legacy is somewhat tarnished by the succession plan fallout at Collingwood and the disaster at Carlton which is further compounded by his prickly PR demeanour. Overall he was a great coach in his pomp, the fact he helped Collingwood get from rabble to a bee’s dick away from a flag with an average side in 02 is testament to this.

I suppose like Buckley said, his personality is probably the reason for his long running feuds as well as his successes in life.

Malthouse went to the pies for $

He is exactly like sheedy but with half the creativity .

When push came to shove neither gave two hoots about the tigers and stayed away when we needed them both

Will never forgive them for that
Neither owed Richmond zip.
Poor excuse for RFC inability to attract them when they were needed.

When push came to shove neither gave two hoots about the tigers and stayed away when we needed them both

Both are premiership players, despite where they coached I respect them for that

That's a bit petty I would have thought

Mick Malthouse enjoys being hated and polarising. It is his oxygen. But he will back you all the way if you follow his rules. I met him briefly late 70s, fanatical fitness freak, ultra-disciplined, little sense of humour, straight down the middle. Loved him as a player, very under rated, and thought what he did at the Dogs was fantastic. Many of his ex players also love him, it is worth remembering.
When Mick was Eagles coach Jacko wasn,t sticking to the script. Mick got hold of him and told him to play his way or no way. He said "If we go down it,s my fault, not yours".

Some you expect to be ******s and they couldn't be friendlier (Basil Zemplas)
giphy.gif

TJ

Malthouse has been on record saying when he rocked up for the interview at richmond, TJ pulled out a bottle of wine and Malthouse thought it was a very unprofessional process compared to what Collingwood were doing

Was it the '82 GF when he had the late fitness test on his injured shoulder / collar bone and failed it and missed out on the game. I'm assuming TJ was the coach. I remember at the time that it happened it was alleged that the test was brutal and it wasn't until virtually the last bump / collision that it gave way again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back