Who cried and when?

Remove this Banner Ad

I cried when we beat GWS in the Prelim, I was a blubbering mess that whole weekend, I rang the old man and cried on the phone.
I began to swell up when Prestia kicked that goal in the last and started crying after seeing Richo on the boundary line and Benny Gale.
I cried yesterday watching a replay of AFL game day and the story of young Nate who is from Perth getting a ticket with his dad to the Grand Final and how much it meant to him.

I have friends who keep asking me if I'm upset because I never went to Melbourne to watch it, I tell them no that doesn't upset me, we won a premiership something I still got to watch and thought Id never see in my lifetime let alone in 2017. Of course I wish I was over there to experience it live, but I still got to experience it in my own way and I saw how many people it effected and I realised I wasn't alone in this journey and there were thousands of others who experience the same emotions to me something I've never contemplated before.

I still cant believe it happened, how great it is !!

When benny was shown on the scoreboard, I looked across the aisle and met eyes with Darren Gaspar. We both just quietly did a fist pump and then I looked at my brother and started welling up.
Tears didn't actually flow until after the siren.

I think it was the 7 minute mark of the final quarter when Prestia snapped the goal to put us over 40 points ahead. I knew they were done then.

I looked over the guy next to me and we just started crying, we couldn't believe it.

Was good to get the tears out of the way, got to enjoy the final 15 minutes!

Pretty much the same moment that got me thinking "we've got this".
At 3qtr time I was shaking my head in disbelief that we were in a position to win the lot, and that goal in particular at the end of the Lambert run made me lose it.
I was sitting with former Tiger mate Adam Slater and we both lost it for pretty much the whole last quarter and then lost our sh!t when the siren went.

I cried at the national anthem of the prelim, at that point it dawned on ,e that we were playing for a spot in the GF and within a week we could be doing the exact same thing on GF day - something I’ve almost always dreamed of seeing.
I thought I was a dead certainty to cry in the national anthem of the GF, but I didn’t and never at all that dat. I still don’t know why.

I have come close a couple of times but manged to hold it together, just. seeing Richo and Benny Gale as others mentioned tugs at the heart strings.

the most overwhelming feeling i had at the grand final was pride. was just watching in awe and was so proud of how we went about business during the finals series, i think that allowed me to just enjoy the moment a bit more.

for some reason i was never really worried that we would lose it at any stage.

I lost it towards the very end of the GWS game and during the song 100%. Was talking to my Mum on the phone and I couldn't talk, I was just crying.

I usually have split seconds where I feel like I'm going to burst into tears, just during finals matches and the National Anthem. But, I really try hard to hold it together.

In the Grand Final, I didn't really lose it as much, but shed a few tears when Prestia kicked that goal. Houli's goal at the start, to get us going, was a tearful moment too.

About half way through the last qtr of the prelim...a few times during the week leading up to the game...start of the game...dusty goal in 4th...benny and his son on the big screen...siren...several times reading/watching/thinking about the game since

I used every fibre of my strength to hold it in during he Prelim, but when I opened my phone to text 'I'm going to see the Tigers in the Grand Final' to my wife and saw the pics of my kids watching the game that she'd sent me, a couple of tears forced their way out. I'm welling up now just thinking of that.

GF day. I almost shed a tear when walking down Swan St in the morning, walking over the bridge from Birrarung Marr down to the G and as I was scanning my ticket into the ground.

A couple of little ones escaped my eye between the anthem and the first bounce because that's when it really hit me what was happening.

I was in shock from Grigg's goal in the third, right through to Butler's banana. It was the sight of Benny on the big screen in tears after that goal that sent me into a blubbering mess.

I lost it again when I saw the coaches hugging on the boundary line and the tears flowed freely during the song, while watching the players celebrate.

The raising of the cup got rid of the last bit of moisture my tear ducts had access to.

My eyes were sore until I went to bed.

Qualifying final, preliminary final. Almost cried during the anthem of the GF. Cried for most of the last quarter. Cry every time I see footage from when the siren sounded. And almost every time I read a well-written, heartfelt article about the game.

I started when Prestia kicked that goal in the last.
Some young blokes in their 20s (one of them was a ripper and giving me sips of his bourbons all game because he knew I needed it) who were in the row directly behind put their arms around me and one of them said "I can see how much this means to you brother".
I didn't really stop for the whole quarter.
I was a ****en mess.

Were you in Q52 by any chance?

Prelim after singing the song walking out the gates the tears poured out !!
None on grand final day think it was just more shock... maybe the fact i never thought we were gonna lose

Kept it together during the GF after tearing up at the PF when I saw a cheersquad guy in tears. That video of Rex Hunt and also Tim Watson and Richo had me tearing up again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think i lost it the same time as peggy and gale, when butler snapped the goal from the pocket

up until that point i hadnt cried because in all honestly i didnt believe what was happening, but when he kicked that goal for some reason it all hit me at once and i couldnt even stand up and go nuts like i had for every other goal of the game, i was just sitting there with my head in my hands sobbing uncontrollably thinking "what is this salty discharge?!"

Qualifying final, preliminary final. Almost cried during the anthem of the GF. Cried for most of the last quarter. Cry every time I see footage from when the siren sounded. And almost every time I read a well-written, heartfelt article about the game.

Were you in Q52 by any chance?
It was either Q52 or Q53, I can't quite remember.

When I saw a txt from my mum during the last quarter that said something along the lines of 'They did it, What an adrenaline rush'

She doesn't even like footy but watched the whole GF at home, knowing how much it meant to me.

I saw a very similar interaction on the day, so maybe it was you. I love the bond that perfect strangers have over our club.
It could well have been me. We were up on level only a few rows from the back.

Essendon v Richmond 2003 round 20. I rolled my ankle so badly playing kick to kick pregame that my face was mostly in my scarf for the sole game in agony.

Sydney v Richmond 2014 round 23. When we had won our ninth in a row and made finals, it felt so good.

No tears this year, it just feels too surreal and hasnt sunk in yet. And as strange as this sounds, as much as I love the clash jumper and didn't mind that we wore it, I think it helped take an emotional part away from the Grand Final win as it felt to me quite removed from the jumper/image that I cared about for so many years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back