30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Scotty the legend.

as Dermott said Fearless leader, a different cat. Dermott definitely lived up to the #23. Who else did? And who would have.

Buddy did, and followed Dermott to the swans too.

Campbell Brown, Brian Lake, even Ben Stratton wouldn’t have been out of place

Scotty's fanaticism reflected his personality & total commitment to Hawthorn ... a kind of religious fervor.

With all our wonderful players & characters thru' the years, it was also, perhaps, Scott who epitomized Kennedy's philosophy to the game & club more than anyone.

He was a wonderful, strong, tough, slightly insane leader that proved there could be nothing but Hawthorn for us all, players & supporters alike ... always!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Scotty's fanaticism reflected his personality & total commitment to Hawthorn ... a kind of religious fervor.

With all our wonderful players & characters thru' the years, it was also, perhaps, Scott who epitomized Kennedy's philosophy to the game & club more than anyone.

He was a wonderful, strong, tough, slightly insane leader that proved there could be nothing but Hawthorn for us all, players & supporters alike ... always!

yet he has a contrary streak which would make him flat out deny the loyalty you speak of…all part of the man

Anyone who thinks Don Scott started all this, needs to have a long hard look at themselves. John Peck embodied 23 ripped its heart out and slammed it into the officials heads.

He was Hawthorn's first player to top the league's goal kicking. Achieved this 3 times in a row. Was the last person until Brendan Fevola in 2006 to top the league's goal kicking from the bottom finishing team. But nothing screams 23 like this little passage:

He played for Port Melbourne in the Victorian Football Association in 1967 and 1968 after his stint with Hawthorn. Most notably during his time at Port Melbourne, Peck was reported for abusing and disputing the decisions of field umpire David Jackson in the second quarter of the controversial 1967 VFA Grand Final; the incident prompted captain-coach Brian Buckley to lead the Port Melbourne team off the ground (a forfeiture was averted when club officials instructed the players to return to the field), and Peck was suspended for six matches for the incident.

THAT'S where it all started.

No-one should under-estimate John Peck's legacy, I agree.

We were, simply, reflecting on Scotty's contribution.

(If you lived in S.A. way back when, you'd remember Peck's swinging right cross/upper cut that knocked out Brian Sawley (sp.) in a state game; the croweaters wanted him lynched ... I suspect, literally.)

#23 John Peck made it his own
#23 Don Scott made it his own and gave it some worth for the next to wear it
#23 Dermott Brereton made it his own and gave it its own chapter in HFC history
#23 Lance Franklin made it his own and has his own place in the chapter

What type of player will be the next to walk their own path wearing 23 on their back?

#23 John Peck made it his own
#23 Don Scott made it his own and gave it some worth for the next to wear it
#23 Dermott Brereton made it his own and gave it its own chapter in HFC history
#23 Lance Franklin made it his own and has his own place in the chapter

What type of player will be the next to walk their own path wearing 23 on their back?
How soon we forget.

TOB, long live the King.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't find the interview but i was very surprised to hear Shane Warne was a big Hawks fan before he became a Saint, and him choosing 23 was because of Derm.

Pretty sure he has always been a rusted on saint.
Dunno where rhe story of him being a hawk has come up from
Mate it's from his own mouth, listen to him talking to Don Scott and Jon Newman on you Cannot be Serious.

Unless it's an impersonator.

He barracked for Hawthorn and had 23 on his jersey. The only debate is whether it was 23 for Scott or Dermie.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Warnie went from barracking for Hawthorn in the 80’s to following StKilda ?
Was thinking the same.

Shane Warne, noted bullshit artist and paid opinion writer? Maybe for the sake of blowing wind up Don Scott's arse to get an interview.

But back to the original topic, I liked the way Chick went about it. Never a backward step.

Closer to the mark would have been Vanders. Without the size, the skill or ability to influence a game like our greats, he got a lot out of himself and played with the determination and mindset to drag us up and back in the right direction. One of my fvourite Hawks, and one who is yet to be rewarded. His time will come.

Last edited:
So Warnie went from barracking for Hawthorn in the 80’s to following StKilda ?
There is a thread on the main board where someone else (iirc a Saints supporter) says Warnie did barrack for Hawks.
I’d never heard it until then.

He may well have changed when he played under 19’s & realised he was at a known party club.
Right up his alley.

My dad used to play in a Melbourne band & played a lot at Saints social club.
He doesn’t really talk much about it but has said they were “pretty wild bunch”

Was thinking the same.

Shane Warne, noted bullshit artist and paid opinion writer? Maybe for the sake of blowing wind up Don Scott's arse to get an interview.

But back to the original topic, I liked the way Chick went about it. Never a backward step.

Closer to the mark would have been Vanders. Without the size, the skill or ability to influence a game like our greats, he got a lot out of himself and played with the determination and mindset to drag us up and back in the right direction. One of my fvourite Hawks, and one who is yet to be rewarded. His time will come.
Warne wouldn't have enough brains to support anyone but St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back