Who Do I vote For?

Remove this Banner Ad

dogboy23

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My first election(only turned 18 in march) and I have no idea about politics has anyone got any suggestions.;)

may i suggest the following criteria in order:

- which party promises the most benefit to you now? Bear in mind half of all promises will never eventuate, and very few policies target the young, childless, working masses

- think about where you'll be in the next three to ten years. Libs favour the well educated and self independent people making decent money, Labor favours the welfare recipients, the struggling families, the perenially sick and lame. A lot of young people go Greens as a conscience vote (environment and all that), but do choose your own second preferences.

- if you still can't decide then imagine how you'd feel to see, amongst all the world leaders at international summits, a waddling, blustering tub of lard in a badly fitting suit representing Australia.

Originally posted by powerboi

- if you still can't decide then imagine how you'd feel to see, amongst all the world leaders at international summits, a waddling, blustering tub of lard in a badly fitting suit representing Australia.

Alexei Sayle is running for Parliament? I'm voting for HIM! :D

A-l-e-x-e-i S-a-y-l-e... who is that fat bastard? ;)

The young must vote with their hearts and maintain some levels of idealism, as us old cynics are way too burnt out to generate any enthusiasm for all the talking heads and suits that snap and snarl at each other.

Vote for a better world, rather than a superannuation package. My pulse doesn't race at the thought of a 'great tax adventure'.

Originally posted by powerboi
may i suggest the following criteria in order:

Who? Amanda Vanstone?

Originally posted by Bee
Which electorate do you live in Dogboy23?
If you are around Batman come see me at one of the polling booths. I'll hand you a "how to vote Labor" paper. :D
Im not sure I live in Sunbury and as I said I know nothing about politics.I am well educated Powerboi and will probably get a high vce score but I doubt ill be in a really high paying job because im probably just going to do a trade or something as it suits my style more;) I really have no idea on who to vote for although Howard seems to have handled the recent crisis pretty well.Who will be better for say tradies and people with high medical bills(my sister is ill) because thats who I will vote for.;)

Originally posted by dogboy23
Howard seems to have handled the recent crisis pretty well

You mean tampa with $200,000,000? :eek:

Or September 11......in that case, is there any reason why Beazley can't do as good a job, if not better?

If you're planning on entering a trade, you are much better off with the Labor party dogboy

Originally posted by hilly

You mean tampa with $200,000,000? :eek:

Or September 11......in that case, is there any reason why Beazley can't do as good a job, if not better?

If you're planning on entering a trade, you are much better off with the Labor party dogboy
Thanks;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vote Johnny, seeing as there's no Jeff!!! :mad:

Many people claim Beazley's advantage as being : "How can you prove he WON'T do right if he hasn't had the chance?"

With his track record as treasurer, finance and defence minister under Hawke and Keating, I don't want him to prove me wrong.

3 former ACTU chiefs on his proposed minstry, he can shove his "working class" vote up his backside. I've worked blue-collar jobs all my working life, but I despise the unions and all they purport to stand for. They've done nothing but lose jobs for Joe METworker, and lose overtime for Joe Brambles.

Screw the unions!

I suggest you decide by working out who tells the greatest lies this week. The party (or candidate) who tells the least furphy's is probably the person for the job. It'll be a tough job, I see its firing up already, judging by todays papers......

Originally posted by dogboy23
Im not sure I live in Sunbury and as I said I know nothing about politics.

If you live in Sunbury you are in the electorate of Burke. ALP candidate for Burke is Brendan O'Connor.

If you want to vote Labor. Just do this:
1. O'Connor
2. Ward
3. Lutz
4. Dawe.

Not that I am trying to influence your decision of course.:D

BTW Brendan O'Connor actually lives in Sunbury too!

Thank you for all your input I will go over the posts and make a decision if you would like to put in any final words feel free to do so.;)

Vote independent.

You don't need to do what the rest of Australia is going to do and say who do i hate the least. Why don't people say hey i don't like either of these guys why don't i go for someone else (e.g. Democrats) There is no rule that you have to vote with the drop kicks you know. I really don't understand why so many people vote for someone they really don't like.

But josh ...

Under our system of compulsory preferential voting, you end up casting a vote for Lib or Lab whether you want to or not.

If you vote - You MUST allocate all preferences in order of 1, 2, 3, etc on the ballot paper.

So even if you don't want to vote for Tweedldee or Tweedledum, you end up doing just that - did somebody say democracy ? :mad:

Just an aside - you can beat the system.

You MUST attend a polling place, but you don't actually have to vote.

So, go and get your name crossed off the roll, then as soon as you see the official do that - do a 360 degree about face and walk straight out of the polling booth.

You will not be prosecuted for this.

cheers

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel
But josh ...

Just an aside - you can beat the system.

You MUST attend a polling place, but you don't actually have to vote.

So, go and get your name crossed off the roll, then as soon as you see the official do that - do a 360 degree about face and walk straight out of the polling booth.

You will not be prosecuted for this.

cheers

True, but don't do it!
Voting is a right. Some countries don't give you that right.
You have the right to have your say in how you want your country run.
Don't be irresponsible and don't for God sake lodge an informal or a donkey vote.

Like I said come see me at one of the polling booths in Batman. I'll be there handing out "How to vote Labor" papers.
I'll show you how to vote correctly. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back