Who do they barrack for?

Apr 27, 2003
Kensington Gardens
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
B'ham CityFC Adelaide United FC
McAvaney and Cometti are/were unique in the modern landscape as they were on the scene from just before the league became the AFL, so while they may have had a VFL team and while Cometti even spent a little time at a VFL team, they didn't grow up with Adelaide and West Coast and either didn't support a VFL team, or just picked a random team and had no real connection to them.

That won't happen again, because anyone who loves footy in Australia will grow up loving an AFL team.

Bruce McAvaney supports Norwood but I would say that Adelaide are definitely his preferred AFL team. Dennis Cometti has also said before that the only team he really supports is West Perth.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bruce McAvaney is very loosely an Adelaide fan and an Essendon fan before the Crows' admission in 1991. It's almost not worth listing as he's so dispassionate.

Dennis Cometti was a Melbourne fan growing up, but rated his adulthood passion for the Demons as 'one out of 10'. It hardly counts either.

Ian Cohen (SEN) is a Melbourne fan.

Adam White (ABC) is an old Fitzroy fan who transplanted his allegiance to the Brisbane Lions post-merger.

Darren Parkin - St Kilda
Tristan Foenander - Collingwood
Adam White now goes for Essendon never followed post merger
Ian Cohen followed the Lions during the tripple premiership era but changed to Melbourne for some reason.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Isn't Russell Barwick a Swans fan?
Peter McCarto who is sometimes on SEN over summer is a Lions fan. Not footy but John Faine ABC and Craig Huggins Gold 104 are also Lions fans.

While Gavin Miller, also on Gold 104.3 goes for Freo.

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bruce's so annoying at times with his love for individual players, but I have to admit that this thread highlights how much of a professional he is (especially when he sits next to completely unprofessional barrackers most of the time).

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Dennis Cometti is a Bulldogs supporter I think.

West Perth man and in terms of AFL seemed partial to West Coast. He's a pretty proud Western Australian.

Bruce's so annoying at times with his love for individual players, but I have to admit that this thread highlights how much of a professional he is (especially when he sits next to completely unprofessional barrackers most of the time).

To be fair with guys of his generation, the SANFL would have been the main thing back in the day so its entirely possible that his team never made it to the AFL.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ian Cover (Coodabeens): Geelong
Greg Champion (Coodabeens): Adelaide
Leila Gurruwiwi (Marngrook Footy Show): Bulldogs

Two well known people who are no longer in the media:
Peter Landy: Hawthorn
Bill Collins: South Melbourne

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
"Most ex players are pretty obvious, but otherwise..."

Has any ex-player gone back to barracking for the club they barracked for as a kid (or similar)? Most of them didn't get a choice as to who they played for.

I just wonder if, after their career is over, they admit that 'I always gave my best for the club I played for, but now I just sit back and return to my first love'.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
"Most ex players are pretty obvious, but otherwise..."

Has any ex-player gone back to barracking for the club they barracked for as a kid (or similar)? Most of them didn't get a choice as to who they played for.

I just wonder if, after their career is over, they admit that 'I always gave my best for the club I played for, but now I just sit back and return to my first love'.

'Crackers' Keenan did that with Collingwood.

Meanwhile he does nothing but pot Melbourne, the club at which he had two spells.

Back