Who do you go for now?

Moods

Rookie
Aug 27, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's funny Roys. I almost felt like a traitor when I first started supporting the saints. I would go to games and really only politely clap good play rather than barrack. In 2004 (pre-season) something clicked and I found myself hollowing at the umpire and out of my seat when goals were quicked. It was like finding new love again, when you think you'll never get married. I liken myself to a widower who was moping around, you know dating other chicks (going to games of footy) but not taking real interest. Then finally finding that same old spark that the roys gave me - it was a real relief.

My older brother in QLD feels the exact same way as you - and he can't understand, and is in fact dubious about my real intentions for this new girl, St Kilda.

borough

Senior List
Apr 2, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pt Melb, Fitzroy, Aces, Giants
Moods I don't know how you could pick another AFL club other than the Lions. I'm now passionate Borough supporter and loving it!

Moods

Rookie
Aug 27, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was NEVER going to follow an interstate club, and go to the footy 6 times a year. I always viewed the merger as a takeover, as did my entire family. I probably would have followed the kangas if they had merged with them. A victorian club for starters, and far more equitable type of merger on the table.

Tthe AFL got the merger they wanted. They forced the roys into extinction and wanted Brisbane to prosper. I wasn't going to be a part of that. I can completely understand those who did though.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Moods, I'm suprised that it has taken you this long to join BF.
Knowing your lot for years the 1 that suprises me is the 'northern' brother. I would have thought that he would have jumped on the Lions at an early stage.

As I have previously stated local footy provides me with my live football fix. Supporting the Lions has turned me into a TV AFL follower.

PS. I doubt there will be enough hours in the day for you to continually post on this website, let alone your other favoured football site!! ;)

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
I completely identify with Moods' sentiments as well.

After 1996, it took me over a decade to bring myself to support another AFL club... and following Bris Lions was unthinkable for me.

Don't support or follow an AFL team or the AFL to be honest. Have a casual interest in the VAFA side but sort of dropped off footy since 1996. My young children are starting to take an interest in the game which will most likely change my perspective.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
I've followed Brisbane since the merger, I was a fitzroy supporter as a kid (as my old man played for Fitzroy and Melbourne) and I had a choice to make when they merged in 96. The rest of my family went to Melbourne (suckers!) and I decided to stick with the Lions.

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
The rest of my family went to Melbourne

14.gif
tumblr_m7orny9AFr1rqsyja.gif

tumblr_m8pqa9byoQ1qd0as9.gif
tumblr_m6jna5eYH11rr7c36.gif

25139_BASEketball_DVDRip_Xvid-KlockreN_1_1_2.gif
39861_W33_2.gif

zLT41P.gif

Very pleasing, this news is.

Mar 13, 2007
The Nation's Capital
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FFC, CFC, 76ers, Oilers, Roys FFC
Was only 10 when the merger occurred, and it crushed me. Used to go all the time with my dad who was in the coterie, would muck around in the coterie room, mostly at Princes Park, not so much at the Whitten Oval, pretending i was a part of the next Fitzroy GF team. So when the merger happened my dreams died, i know it sounds like an exaggeration, but its true. Tried going for the Lions, but it never felt the same, partly cause my dad stopped following AFL altogether, and put most of his footballing energies in the FJFC, and partly cause most of the games were in QLD. Spent a few years in the wilderness following everyone (i was only 11/12 at the time) or no one, but slowly came around to the Bulldogs, my mum's team (which made her very happy). Still try to get to the Lions games at the MCG when i can, but i'm a Dog now.

Fitzroy Reds are an amateurs team who were formally the University Reds (?) - I think they became Fitzroy Reds around the time that FFC folded (FFC provided support to them?) - and they play at Brunswick St Oval. They wear the Fitzroy jumper and have the Fitzroy song.

Been to a few games - its great.

Havent been on the website for a while but i think its fitzroyreds.com.au - in fact I'm gonna check it out now given I've just mentioned it.

I was just reading through this thread and I noticed this comment from a few years back about the Fitzroy Reds being formed when FFC folded. Not sure if they're the same teams but I played against Fitzroy Stars in junior football at the brunswick st oval in the early 80's and from what I remember they were an old club then.

Like I said they maybe two different clubs.

royboy 29

Debutant
Mar 1, 2007
melbourne victoria
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Gday,Fitz/Bulldog,glad you found another team,I was 40 when when the roys stopped playing AFL,cried for days,still mourning now.I like others now enjoy footy at Brunswick street,which is where my love for the roys started too many years ago.Goodluck to your doggies,hope they go ok next seson!!:thumbsu:

Back