Who do you rate as our most valuable midfielder?

Who do you rate as our most valuable midfielder?

• Nick Stevens

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Josh Francou

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Josh Carr

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Jarrad Schofield

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Eago77

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2001
On my Koyt
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Ignoring the ruckmen, who is our most valuable midfielder. This is in the light of Macca claiming that Schofield is our 2nd best midfielder on a couple(?) of occassions recently. So who is our best?
For mine Nick Stevens.

Originally posted by Eago77
Ignoring the ruckmen, who is our most valuable midfielder. This is in the light of Macca claiming that Schofield is our 2nd best midfielder on a couple(?) of occassions recently. So who is our best?
For mine Nick Stevens.

Id say Nick Stevens is our best midfielder. When he plays well Port seem to play really well. Schofield is fast becoming our second most important midfielder. Francou is the most important in the sense of clearing the ball...but around teh ground he cant kick.

Josh Francou for mine.......

His ability to get the ball out of a pack and get out of the tight situations to win us the hard ball.....

Very closely followed by Stevens, Carr and Schofield.......

In a way these 4 compliment each other in the way they play.....

Originally posted by dreamkillers

In a way these 4 compliment each other in the way they play.....

They certainly do. Then we get to throw in Dew, Burgoyne, James and occasionally Wanga, Hardwick & Kingsley and it makes for a lot of pretty skilled, tough and varied midfield combo's.

I'd have to say Francou.

When him and Primus are putting on a show together he gives all of our other midfielders the ability to run forward and away from the packs and wait for the ball in the clear.

I'm not sure any of our other midfielders are as good at breaking a game open in the centre alone.

Francou. Stevens is an excellent receiver, but as we learnt in 2000, step 1 to winning the game is getting the ball.

Voted for Francou only because his job is to get the ball out of the middle.
But bit unfair really because their strenghts are in different areas and one can't do without the other being a team sport and all that.
Williams has been able to get a good team together there.
If Stevens played for a Victorian club he would probably be rated in the top 25 players in the comp.

Schofield has been our best this year so far, but thats because Francou isnt getting the ball out of the clinches as often as he did last year.Francou is still number one for me.Nick Stevens is a good reciever and its ususally Francou that gives it to him. The best part is as has been mentioned that we are able to throw a number of other players into the midfield when things need changing. Kingsley has been used to great effect in the past 3 weeks.

As I posted after round 2 the ruck set up haad to change because Stevens and Francou were geting smothered and it seems to have changed, with more of the hit outs going further to Carr and Schoflied in motion, rather than in tight. But that's just my impression, haven't studied it that closely.

In general terms the positive thing is after the hysterical press over-reaction to a couple of narrow losses, the so-called change in game plan, the flooding accusations, etc etc a couple of players can stand up, start getting the ball, and it all loks a lot better- and journalists have to find something else to fill up the back passage.

Ohm the poll, I put Carr becuase he can do a lot of jobs, and he seems to be a very focussed player, and he seems to be getting better, all promising.

Back