Opinion Who do you realistically want in the 2022 AFL Draft?

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I see Sheezel as more than just a small forward. He is more like Robbie Grey or Toby Greene stylew who will float through the midfield at times.
A forward/mid Ok. I'd prefer half forwards and pockets with a midfielder/forward. It doesn't rob the forward line.
I'd also hope our smalls push up.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
12981A84-7859-4FE6-B241-17040F719451.jpeg

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
I want Mackenzie, and below are the eight arbitrary categories that I have created for considering a midfielder draftee (and why I think Mackenzie is the best option around our pick):
VM-Cameron-Mackenzie-2.jpg

Ball winning - Congestion and stoppage extraction (8/10)
This one is hard to fully assess due to Mackenzie having an altered role from his NAB League role to his role at Champs level (with Ashcroft, Hotton, Sheezel, Tsatas, Pascu, Petric, Drury etc rotating through the Metro midfield). Simply put, Mackenzie wasn't asked to crash packs at the highest level this year so it wasn't what you'd call a "feature" of his game. However, Mackenzie does display a good amount of upper body strength and has an inclination to raise the ball high in a tackle to keep his arms free for the quick handball should he get tackled.
Mackenzie arms free.jpg
Mackenzie arms free 2.jpg

Also, Mackenzie is very good at one-touching the ball, be it in congestion or with the ball on the ground he rarely fumbles. Due to this his ability to collect the ball below his knees is fantastic for somebody his size. He is also excellent at hitting the right spot of congestion at pace resulting in a clean clearance

A couple of examples of Mackenzie's ability in relation to congestion and stoppages are:
1. Vic Metro v SA 2nd quarter, 7 minutes, 12 seconds to go - Ball is thrown in on the forward flank. Mackenzie takes the ball expertly whilst in the air, lands, steadies and hits the danger spot at the top of the square. This immediately results in a Drury goal for Metro.
2. Vic Metro v SA 4th quarter, 14 minutes, 5 seconds to go - Bounce in the centre square, ruckmen jostle and the ball bounces on the back end of the centre circle line. Mackenzie manoeuvres around a lunging Barnett and takes the ball cleanly (one touch) at pace. Taking only a couple of paces to balance himself and rotate himself towards the Metro goal he kicks to about 45m out where Jefferson competes in a marking contest.
3. Vic Metro v WA 1st quarter, first play of the day - the ball is bobbling and skidding on the ground. Mackenzie swoops and kicks the ball up with one-touch and kicks the ball forward under pressure.
4. Vic Metro v WA 1st quarter, 11 minutes, 20 seconds to go - Mackenzie receives the ball on the wing in transition and shrugs his hips throwing a WA player off demonstrating superior upper body strength.
5. Vic Metro v WA 4th quarter, 22 minutes, 10 seconds to go - a WA player drops the ball in a tackle. Mackenzie pounces on it, evades a WA tackler swings around and delivers perfectly to a teammate on the wing.
Mackenzie clearance 2.jpg

6. Vic Metro v WA 3rd quarter, 15 minutes, 40 seconds to go - a loose ball is bouncing in Metro's forward 50m. Mackenzie beats three Country players there (including Hollands and Hustwaite) and spins through them with ease getting out a clean handball and setting a teammate up for a shot on goal.
Mackenzie spin 1.jpg

7. NAB League GF - Sandringham Dragons v Dandenong Stingrays 2nd Quarter, 2 minutes in - ball in on the forward part of the wing. Mackenzie hits the drop of the tap at pace and is able to send the ball deep inside 50 for a scoring opportunity.
Mackenzie breaking from congestion 5.jpg
Mackenzie breaking from congestion 4.jpg

Transition to the Outside (9/10)
Whilst not being lightning quick Mackenzie has a large stride and a step of pace which helps give him the ability to create space on the peripherals of congestion. Now he does not have the top speed of Tsatas, Burgiel or Humphrey but he's better than average and, unlike Allan or Ginbey, it really is noticeable in a match. He makes opponents look slow.
Mackenzie breaking from congestion 3.jpg

Mackenzie also has the uncanny ability to slow down time in traffic and just generally has impeccable decision making ability about both where to run and how to dispose of the ball.

1. Vic Metro v SA 4th quarter, 3 minutes to go - Clarke makes the ball on the forward flank and provides the overlapping handball to Mackenzie who had followed the play which had transitioned from SA's forward line. Mackenzie kicks around the body while being corralled and hits Hotton cleanly about 35m away. Hotton goals.
2. Vic Metro v WA 1st quarter, 2 minutes, 57 seconds to go - Mackenzie collects the loose ball on the wing breaking a lame Dewar tackle. He handballs backwards to Clarke as Dewar is pursuing him. Clarke givens back to Mackenzie (who is free due to a great shepherd from another teammate, possibly Weddle), Mackenzie shuffles back waiting for a moment for the play to develop. At this stage he is at WA's forward flank. Two players (including Jones) try to corral Mackenzie. Mackenzie gives a lovely looping handball to three free Metro teammates further ahead (due to too many WA players being drawn to Mackenzie with the ball). Not satisfied with that Mackenzie accelerates forward past Jones and gets a further handball receive and kicks long to Metro's forward flank to a legitimate two-on-two. This example reflects Mackenzie's ability to navigate well in traffic and make excellent decisions under pressure.
3. Vic Metro v Allies 2nd quarter, 5 minutes, 17 seconds in - Ball up on the wing. The ball rolls towards the centre square. Mackenzie notes that his teammate Kizan is going to be first to the ball and proceeds to break towards goal. Kizan handballs to Mackenzie who streams forward and then loops a handball over his Allies opponent to Drury for a clean i50 and a Davey goal.
Mackenzie breaking from congestion 2.jpg
Mackenzie breaking from congestion.jpg

4. NAB League GF - Sandringham Dragons v Dandenong Stingrays 1st Quarter, 15 minutes and 40 second in - Mackenzie gets the clearance from a clean tap and handballs to a teammate. He follows up after his clearance and is further involved in the chain on the forward 50 running hard to remain part of the play.

Ball use (9/10)
The best ball user of the midfield contingent this year Mackenzie not only has a fantastic kicking action but, more importantly he weighs the ball to perfection. Often teammates

Now that's not to say his disposal is perfect, he is prone to the odd shank. However, in general his kicking is so sublime that hack kicks are a rarity and do not detract from his otherwise exemplary disposal. And it's not just his kicking either. His handballs are phenomenal in traffic. He often waits rather than just disposing of the ball for the game to unfold and more options to present themselves.

There are many, many examples of Mackenzie's absolutely elite ball use but here are some of the best:
1. Vic Metro v Vic Country 2nd quarter, 17 minutes, 30 seconds to go - the ball is looped from a Metro defender out of their back 50m arc. Mackenzie receives the ball accelerates forward and then loops his own handball wide to Ashcroft. Ashcroft returns him the ball with a handball over Hustwaite. Mackenzie is now streaming to the point of the centre square. He kicks what BT would describe as a "lot belter" which would barely go above two metres in the air for its whole 45m journey. Mackenzie's kick is so pin point perfect that Jefferson can't help but take the mark on his chest 40m from goal in the pocket despite Reid being only one step behind him to the fall of the ball.
Mackenzie kicking 1.jpg

2. Vic Metro v Vic Country 2nd quarter, 3 minutes, 20 seconds to go - Mackenzie receives a handball in the back 50. Rather than simply kicking down the centre Mackenzie casts a glance laterally and goes 50m across ground to a free teammate. Metro march the ball down the field and Clarke goals.
3. Vic Metro v Vic Country 3rd quarter, 8 minutes, 10 seconds to go - Mackenzie collects a handball at the centre circle, turns and weighs a 35m kick to a teammate with the ball travelling just over the outstretched arm of Cadman and a further Country player sitting behind the Metro player. Had the kick been anything different than what it was it would've almost certainly resulted in a turnover.

For other examples check out his full games against Vic Country, the NAB League Grand Final against the Singrays and his round 10 game against the Jets in full.

Scoreboard impact (4/10)
At the Champs he had limited direct scoreboard impact (i.e. goals he kicked himself), however, he is frequently involved in score chains and with his elite disposal is the player that you want kicking the ball into your forwards.
There's no question about capacity, it seems like this year might more reflect a lack of opportunity. With the attributes he has, given the right environment I think that he will become a player who does hit the scoreboard regularly. Still you have to assess the player on what they have produced, not on what they are capable of producing. Hence the lower score for this attribute.

1. NAB League Round 10 - Sandringham Dragons v Western Jets 2nd Quarter, 9 minutes in - probably Mackenzie's best play of the year. He takes the ball cleanly off the ruck contest, arcs towards goal, handballs over his looming Jets opponent, collects the ball again, handballs forward to Ashcroft, follows the ball into the Dragons forward 50, where he receives a handball and eeks out a kick from 40m between two Jets defenders for a goal.
Mackenzie goal 2.jpg
Mackenzie goal 3.jpg
Mackenzie goal 4.jpg

2. Vic Metro v WA 3rd quarter, 8 minutes to go - Mackenzie is on a turnover chain from a Metro turnover from a WA kick out. He shows a burst of speed to accelerate away giving himself enough space to get balanced and banana around the body from 40m and sink the goal.

3. Vic Metro v Allies 2nd quarter, 6 minutes and 30 seconds in - Metro break from the centre bounce and Mackenzie is on the end of a well-weighted Ashcroft handball and bursts from the square to the forward 50m arc. He kicks long to a one-on-one in the goal square which Sheezel takes on his chest and converts.
Mackenzie i50 1.jpg

4. NAB League GF - Sandringham Dragons v Dandenong Stingrays 1st Quarter, 12 minutes and 20 second in - Mackenzie is in space about 40m out. He receives a quick fire handball from a teammate and curls a goal from 40m out.
5. NAB League Round 1 - Sandringham Dragons v Oakleigh Chargers 2nd Quarter, 10 minutes 20 seconds in - Mackenzie marks the ball 47m out from a Clarke kick around the body. Probably about a 40 degree angle. He swings out to open up on his right foot and sinks it from the 50m arc.

Marking (6/10)
His natural height of 188cm obviously helps in regard to his counterparts and whilst there are other midfielders who are taller (i.e. Phillipou, Hustwaite, Allan, Ginbey) and better marks than Mackenzie when called to he is happy to throw his weight around. Note that I wouldn't suggest that his marking exceeds his height (ala Hotton, Hewett, Sheezel or Konstanty whose marking ability belies their shorter statures) nor is he in any way a marking midfielder like Fyfe, Cripps or Bontempelli but he rarely loses a contest or fumbles a mark either. I will preface my analysis that Mackenzie rarely had to compete for a mark in the various games I saw. He either was causing havoc at the clearances or marking uncontested in transition.

1. Vic Metro v Allies 2nd quarter, 40 seconds in - Mackenzie competes in a one-v-one with an Allies player in a marking contest. Even though he doesn't take the mark Mackenzie recovers far quicker than his opponent and is able to collect at ground level and get the handball off.
2. NAB League Prelim Final - Sandringham Dragons v Gippsland Power - 2nd quarter 2 minutes and 40 seconds in - Mackenzie (having been involved on the back flank pushes forward for a floating kick around the body. Mackenzie climbs high over two players and takes an important grab. He immediately plays on, handballs forward to Clarke and the ball eventually ends with Sheezel who goals from the goalsquare.
Mackenzie mark 2.jpg

Tackling (7/10)
May not have the intensity that you see from say a Hewett, but he just sticks his tackles.

1. Vic Metro v WA 2nd quarter, 17 minutes, 55 seconds to go - Hewett pounces on the ball and Mackenzie bear hugs him immediately stopping the ball being released. Given Hewet''s strength prowess Mackenzie stops him without any difficulty.
Mackenzie tackle 2.jpg

2. Vic Metro v WA 2nd quarter, 12 minutes, 25 seconds to go - Jones has the ball in the centre and seeks to stream down the field. He tries to step around Mackenzie (given his speed). However, Mackenzie is having none of it, pulling him to the ground and winning a free kick for holding the ball.
Mackenzie tackle 3.jpg

3. Vic Metro v Allies 2nd quarter, 21 minutes, 20 gone - Mackenzie lays a tackle in congestion on an Allies player and dispossesses him. The ball is collected by another player that Mackenzie immediately tackles and brings to the ground.

Endurance (8/10)
I'm not sure how he tested at the Combine (or if he did test), however, Mackenzie has demonstrated no issue with maintaining a similar output and level all game. He also is a player consistently on the move and will be running forward or back with the play, regardless of whether his teammates utilise his availability.

Not really any specific examples of this. Simply watch any of his games and how he runs them out in the fourth quarter.
I know that Hollands is the benchmark here and while Mackenzie wouldn't be the equal of him on the track there's very little real difference on the field that I can see between them.

Ability to Read the Play (8/10)
As well as being a committed two-way runner Mackenzie displays an aptitude to place himself in the right space around the contest for when the ball comes out.
Mackenzie strategy 2.jpg
Mackenzie strategy 1.jpg

(on the right) (at the back towards the umpire)

This reminds me of Shuey in his heyday when he would be very strategic about having a direct corridor to goal from the stoppage to enable him to best utilise his pace for a clearance. This is in contrast to a strong inside mid (who doesn't necessarily have to think as tactically about his placement due to the particular attributes he will be using).

Some examples:
1. Vic Metro v WA 3rd quarter, 14 minutes, 20 seconds to go - Mackenzie reads the tap in the centre circle to perfection and releases Ashcroft for an inside 50 for Metro.
2. Vic Metro v WA 3rd quarter, 11 minutes, 40 seconds to go - Mackenzie collects wonderfully off the loose ball from the ruck tap on the forward flank and kicks inside forward 50.
3. Vic Metro v WA 4th quarter, 9 minutes, 30 seconds to go - Mackenzie receives an Ollie Hotton handball from the bounce down congestion and streams with two bounces through the middle of the ground for a kick inside 50.
Mackenzie clearance 3.jpg

And now the Eagles recruiters will have wasted my time if they don't select Mackenzie.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wardlaw
Sheezel
Cowan
Harvey

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Tsatas over Phillipou. Wardlaw is the (likely unrealistic) dream.

Szybkowski at 22 if we get through without a Davey bid before it. The meat and potatoes, hard working, disciplined inside mid that we never draft but always need a couple of.
yeah. i'm coming round to this option.
As much as I'd like George or Keeler for their x-factor, Mitch seems the perfect 2nd rd pick to address that core need of competitiveness and inside competitiveness to really unlock the future midfield of Tsatas, Caldwell, Hobbs, Martin, Perkins and Davey.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
yeah. i'm coming round to this option.
As much as I'd like George or Keeler for their x-factor, Mitch seems the perfect 2nd rd pick to address that core need of competitiveness and inside competitiveness to really unlock the future midfield of Tsatas, Caldwell, Hobbs, Martin, Perkins and Davey.

Any news on how he is going?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Any news on how he is going?
Imagine by months end we'll know a bit.

Im hoping he's who we add. Lots of talk of one dimensional, lack of pace, etc. But he showed a bit this year as a meat and potatoes workhorse. He may take a bit of time to work on how he can negate some of his limitations.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Imagine by months end we'll know a bit.

Im hoping he's who we add. Lots of talk of one dimensional, lack of pace, etc. But he showed a bit this year as a meat and potatoes workhorse. He may take a bit of time to work on how he can negate some of his limitations.

Not really he's d much about him at all really.

Back