Prediction Who do you think will make it?

Which player(s) will make it?

• Sam Banks

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Jacob Bauer

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Kaelan Bradtke

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Tom Brown

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Seth Campbell

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Judson Clarke

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Mate Colina

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Matthew Coulthard

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Noah Cumberland

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Thomson Dow

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Josh Gibcus

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • Steely Green

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Rhyan Mansell

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Ben Miller

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Bigoa Nyuon

• Hugo Ralphsmith

• Maurice Rioli

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Samson Ryan

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Kaleb Smith

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Tyler Sonsie

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • James Tresize

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Tylar Young

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TheDyerLegacy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United ; Melbourne City
As we move into the new era at Tigerland, I wonder who out of our youth have a future.

Looking at players with 50 games or less.

I've defined making it as playing at least 4-5 seasons as a best 22 player for an AFL club, not necessarily us.

I went for the following to make it, quite confident in all of these players:

Banks - Just looks like he needs time to mature physically and get accustomed to what he needs to do within our game plan. Has weapons and smarts.

Brown - Looks to be finding his feet now, definitely moves like an AFL player. Love to see him get a game late this season and over the next 2 seasons should work his way into our team.

Clarke - Balance, speed and decent skill will only get better with maturity. Looks a nice prospect to me, definitely as a wing/flanker, interested to see if he can become an inside mid later, at least part-time.

Coulthard - By 2025 I expect to see Coulthard in our best 22. Fantastic mover, just wants to build some strength and knowledge of role etc.

Gibcus - Providing he recovers well from these hamstring troubles he looks a nailed on best 22 AFL player of the future. Likely as a class intercept defender in the longer term.

Maurice - Incredibly under-rated by some on this board. I am a big believer in Maurice Rioli Junior. He has had some hiccups this season but he will overcome those.

Ryan - Rucks you never know whether they are going to stay at your club or move for more opportunity. 2025 onwards will be his time, put on some strength and build a tank. Has everything else, exciting prospect.

Sonsie - Horror year after looking good year 1. Needs to develop a more honest style of footy to fall back on when not at the top of his game. I think he should get there eventually.

Young - Big fan, should remain a best 22 player for years to come. Amazingly good first year and will be better for it. Very competitive player, strong, fast, and can kick.

I am sure I will have a couple of these wrong.

Players I doubt make it are:

Bauer & Cumberland
- Obviously both shown they have some weapons when the game suits them. Not sure either are going to ever fully get the team aspects of the sport at AFL level.

Dow - neat enough player but no damage.

Green - Interesting one. Very young. Currently on a trajectory to not make it, but if he ticks the club's improvement boxes over time could be retained and might have something to offer in a couple of years time. Not without a chance, like the way he moves at times.

Nyuon - Nice footballer and good versatility, but just doesn't seem to have the game to hold down a best 22 position in an AFL team.

Ralphsmith - definitely a bit hesitant at times. Definitely an AFL class overlap runner but would need to overcome his weaknesses to make it.

Hope some of these guys embarrass me and I expect 1-2 will.

Players I am less sure about either way:

Smith
- not seen him yet

Campbell - hopeful but really want to see him in the VFL over a decent body of games

Colina - no shock if he is delisted but if retained, I am not writing off his chances of doing something worthwhile in the later part of this decade.

Mansell - unsure if he has the class to be an automatic best 22 player but he has everything else going for him. Confident he will be on the list medium term at least.

Miller - would like to see him retained. He looks so close to being a decent AFL player. Decent versatility helps his chances of medium term retention. Not sure he is ever going to be an automatic choice but would love to see him continue to improve on a similar trajectory.

Trezise - Great balance and strength over the ball on the ground and in the air, and excellent tackler. I think he will more likely than not get there, but needs to improve his disposal to AFL level half back standard.

I don’t get the Colina pick up. Looks like we’ll have to invest 5 years to get him anywhere near the standard, and then we’re likely to get a lumbering version of Soldo at his best.

This might be right, but I think the club might have been hoping for a Mason Cox type transformation.

Colina is taller than any player to play at the highest level. He can run better than most ruckmen. And he has at least some background in the sport. He also seems quite coachable - displayed good tackling intent already. He was/is well worth the speculative list spot and rookie salary. Hopefully his body comes good and we get to see what he has got.

Other uber tall players Sandilands and Munchon Cox only got better as they got older. So we should have plenty of time to redeem something from Mate yet.

We really need Bradtke to work out. Don’t know why we kept drafting tall backs when we had to draft a forward.
Will Gibcus end up playing forward? Hopefully Bauer works out too. He’s could play Jacks role but needs to bulk up a bit

Back