Who do you think will or want to win the 2017 flag?

Who will win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast in the poll lol. We're terrible.

Adelaide vs GWS Grand final with Adelaide winning. Adelaide vs Dogs Prelim with the Crows finally breaking their Prelim hoodoo by a goal.

Yeah other then the Cats obviously I would love for Adelaide to win it. They have been thereabouts for awhile now and have a pretty likeable team. Coach is cool as well
Been through hell of a lot the last couple of years as well.

I think a lot of people overrate West Coast. Pedestrian midfield, cant win away against decent teams. We generally require two things to go our way to win the flag, and this has been the case for the past couple decades: top 2 for the two Subi finals, and for our GF opponent to be a non Vic team.

Except for those two times you won grand finals against a Vic team

For those saying Collingwood aren't a contender just bear in mind that our two gun recruits played in the VFL on Saturday and are just starting to warm up. Wells is okay, but just wait until the Mayne train starts tooting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I looked at the poll and thought: I'm far from convinced about any of those teams. Then I thought, well *someone* is definitely going to have their hands on the trophy in 5 and a half months' time.

Went with Bulldogs because they clearly know how to get it done when it counts. The fact that their form is merely 'all right' now means nothing in September. They may not have the hunger for breaking the drought or 'doing it for Bob', but I'm sure back-to-back flags would be a pretty sweet compensation for a long drought. They also have the motivation of winning *with* Murphy and making him a premiership player.

West Coast can't be trusted in Melbourne, and their form fluctuates from damn good (beating GWS, Hawks & Adelaide away) to shaky.

Adelaide can't be trusted in cut-throat finals against strong midfields. Got pummeled in the semis two years in a row, and (as much as I hate to say it) Pyke's quick, outside game plan may not work very well in September's confines with less time and space.

GWS have all that star quality on every line but if you can get smashed in Rd 1 away against a weaker midfield, you can lose on grand final day. Who they play in finals will determine their chances. Can't see them beating the Bulldogs, Crows or Cats at the MCG in a GF.

Geelong 2017 is looking suspiciously like Geelong 2016. Yet the ones who threw them out of the finals series last year, Sydney, ain't going to be there this year. Crucially, the Cats actually play very well against their likely finals opponents. They smashed the Dogs, Eagles, Crows and to a lesser extent the Giants last year.

If the dogs are in the mix for finals again and go deep...
Will they be everyone's 2nd fav team this year again?

Probably not if Richmond are thereabouts

I looked at the poll and thought: I'm far from convinced about any of those teams. Then I thought, well *someone* is definitely going to have their hands on the trophy in 5 and a half months' time.

Went with Bulldogs because they clearly know how to get it done when it counts. The fact that their form is merely 'all right' now means nothing in September. They may not have the hunger for breaking the drought or 'doing it for Bob', but I'm sure back-to-back flags would be a pretty sweet compensation for a long drought. They also have the motivation of winning *with* Murphy and making him a premiership player.

West Coast can't be trusted in Melbourne, and their form fluctuates from damn good (beating GWS, Hawks & Adelaide away) to shaky.

Adelaide can't be trusted in cut-throat finals against strong midfields. Got pummeled in the semis two years in a row, and (as much as I hate to say it) Pyke's quick, outside game plan may not work very well in September's confines with less time and space.

GWS have all that star quality on every line but if you can get smashed in Rd 1 away against a weaker midfield, you can lose on grand final day. Who they play in finals will determine their chances. Can't see them beating the Bulldogs, Crows or Cats at the MCG in a GF.

Geelong 2017 is looking suspiciously like Geelong 2016. Yet the ones who threw them out of the finals series last year, Sydney, ain't going to be there this year. Crucially, the Cats actually play very well against their likely finals opponents. They smashed the Dogs, Eagles, Crows and to a lesser extent the Giants last year.
The Bulldogs definitely need to be in the discussion, and can win it. I wouldn't use words like definitely know how to get it done, as I would for a club like the Hawks though. They did win last year but the club doesn't have a great track record, and has yet to prove this list is a dynasty.
They are good enough if they have the wherewithall though.

After a month of footy I think it's safe to say there's only 5 teams who can win the flag this year - Adelaide, Geelong, GWS, West Coast and Western Bulldogs.

Teams such as Richmond, Melbourne, St Kilda and Port Adelaide could do alright in September but none of them are real flag threats this year.

Who do you think will win the flag this year and why?
IMG_0300.JPG

Adelaide and GWS are clear standouts. At this point, I'd be shocked if either of them didn't make the prelims.

Apart from that, I expect that the other teams at the end of the year will be out of Geelong (currently the best of the rest), Bulldogs, Richmond, Port and West Coast. Obviously, somebody else will make the finals, but without a big form shift they won't go any further than that.

Yes, it could well come down to rock, paper, scissors - Finals positions and effective playing styles against particular teams.

If west coast are so bad at the G that they don't even constitute a 'good team' for us to beat, I'm sorry, but they aren't Buckley's chance at the flag.

My early pick is Adelaide. That forward line is scary. GWS a close 2nd, they've been pretty good since round 1, then there's Geelong and the Bulldogs who are probably going to figure but haven't exactly prove themselves this year yet. After that there's a host of sides that could bobble up into contention (and some will miss finals altogether) - Port, Melbourne, St Kilda, Richmond, West Coast and even Sydney, who've been far from disgraced and have plenty of soldiers still to come back. I've probably missed someone too. So not quite such a muddle up top this year, but still plenty of intrigue, and I don't think the 8 will be decided until late in the year.

Back