Who do you think will or want to win the 2017 flag?

Who will win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I called GWS vs Adelaide gf many months ago - gutted I didn't put money on it. It's looking very likely at this stage if they host their finals. Geelong shouldn't have to worry too much about Sydney this year so they don't really have a bogey team in contention; and the Bulldogs have been there and will know how to do it again. Those are the four teams for me who are right up there and will remain there.

West coast - the cliche unable to travel effectively, especially to Melbourne where the final is played
Sydney - after an 0-5 start, I can't see them beating 12-10 which would barely be enough to make finals, let alone win three successive away finals and a GF.
Richmond - should make finals from here but I highly doubt it.
Port Adelaide/Melbourne - step ladder year, maybe in the future but not now

How they have won? They have won games because the teams they have beaten are poor. Fremantle and Hawthorn were extremely poor. Melbourne kicked poorly and they only just beat North after trailing all day.

Geelong next four are gettable wins. It gets tough after that but they'll do enough to make the top eight.

Richmond will win more matches in 2017 than 2016. (>8)

Then again, so will the Cats. (>18)

Whichever of those 5 teams Gws, Adel, Geelong, West coast and the dogs have the healthiest list in September will win the flag.

This x 1000. If Adelaide play like they are playing now, no-one will get near them but that's a big If. I went with GWS simply because I think they've got a lot of upside (nowhere near playing their best but still winning) but it really means nothing at this point of the year.

I bet on a NSW team to win the comp at $2.40 at start of the season.

:mad:

would be nice if someone could take out geelong on the way for us. henderson, motlop, menzel, hawkins, dangerwood have me worried if we play them.

Richmond will win more matches in 2017 than 2016. (>8)

Then again, so will the Cats. (>18)

Pfft... No way the cats are winning 19 games or more. My initial post was, why are Richmond dismissed when Geelong are discussed as premiership favourites. Both have four wins against poor sides.

I have nothing against either side, but it's very very early in the season. Richmond at least beat West Coast, albeit at the MCG. I'm not seeing greatness from Geelong. Just a 5-8 side this year.

I hope anyone but Geelong/GWS... a team of utter flogs/with bigger flog supporters (if thats even possible) and the AFL's play thing, would be nothing worse than to see them achieve....

In light of that I think it will be Adelaide v GWS grand final with Adelaide winning

also OP shouldn't be writing off Port Adelaide, Richmond just yet.... bit harsh...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said last year - and the year before that if Adelaide made the Top 4 they will win the flag. It looks like they're on track to finally secure that spot at the business end of the year, so if that's the case then Adelaide easily.

Pfft... No way the cats are winning 19 games or more. My initial post was, why are Richmond dismissed when Geelong are discussed as premiership favourites. Both have four wins against poor sides.

I have nothing against either side, but it's very very early in the season. Richmond at least beat West Coast, albeit at the MCG. I'm not seeing greatness from Geelong. Just a 5-8 side this year.

You probably are right, in a sense. Doubt the cats will win 19, but I expect they will make top 4 and weird end of season byes aside, it's anyone's game from there...

Travel well.

Big difference to do it on GF day.

I hope they do well but I'd feel more than confident if we were facing them in the big dance.

Just quietly and with more than a little tongue in cheek ... Adelaide have a 100% win record at the MCG on GF day against Victorian teams. Two from two.

The Dogs haven't been entirely convincing yet; lost to the Dockers, scraped over the line against a young North. And it's not like they are a juggernaut team, they are a team that finished seventh last year and had everything click at the right time. Great on their day but no certainty to finish top four.
All true, except North were slightly older (4 months) and more experienced (3 games) on average last week and you could hardly blame their loss on Preuss and Simpkin. They've had a consistently poor record in close games for some time.

The Bulldogs should make the top 4, but the midfield is well down on last year's form. The new ruck rule hasn't helped, but there's no excuse for being last in clearances. Time in front percentage is poor and having trailed during the final quarter of the past three games is worrying. We really need Roughead to come back. His improvement last year was crucial to the premiership!

Geelong and GWS. Adelaide is a possibility, but just concerned that they have timed their peak wrong meaning that they'll be stumbling around round 15-18 or so.

GWS is obvious, but Geelong has got itself a beauty in toohey and his attacking flair is underrated.

Bulldogs seem half celebratory still.

Geelong and GWS. Adelaide is a possibility, but just concerned that they have timed their peak wrong meaning that they'll be stumbling around round 15-18 or so.

GWS is obvious, but Geelong has got itself a beauty in toohey and his attacking flair is underrated.

Bulldogs seem half celebratory still.

I would say dropping a game or so towards rounds 15-18 for a top side is ideal if you had to lose anything, the Crows look like the real deal at the moment and unlike West Coast they don't fear the MCG.

Geelong certainly have some great pick ups in Tuohy and Henderson, the midfield is on the up with Duncan, Menegola, and Guthrie hitting their stride and Menzel providing a legitimate second avenue up forward, but...we will wait and see how consistent we are this year. Last year a game like this round against Melbourne would prove to be a stumbling block for us. I'm not getting too ahead of ourselves after thumping Hawthorn, we smashed the Gold Coast by 120 points early last year too yet choked against St Kilda and Carlton. The lid is firmly on.

All true, except North were slightly older (4 months) and more experienced (3 games) on average last week and you could hardly blame their loss on Preuss and Simpkin. They've had a consistently poor record in close games for some time.

The Bulldogs should make the top 4, but the midfield is well down on last year's form. The new ruck rule hasn't helped, but there's no excuse for being last in clearances. Time in front percentage is poor and having trailed during the final quarter of the past three games is worrying. We really need Roughead to come back. His improvement last year was crucial to the premiership!
Dogs will make top 4. Crows, Cats, Giants, Dogs.

Back