Who do you want to debut in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned McAdam but isn't there a knock on him being fit enough for AFL level?

On SM-T590 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Second pre season , he should be able to get himself pretty right for a debut next year barring injury

I actually think it’s very important he plays in our side

In order of preference mine are

McAdam Mchenry McAsey Hamill Scholl

Butts, mchenry, mcadam, mcpherson are the ones i want to see debut the most...

I really dont care much to be honest aslong as Knight, mackay, hartigan and Atkins are pushed out in favour of youth.. these four players being a lock for round 1 would be a complete fu**in joke and would be all the evidence needed to know the club has learnt nothing..

I'm getting a bit iffy about Tex as well to be honest, not seeing it into 2020/21

Ned McHenry.

For the purely selfish reason that I want the number on the guernsey I got for Fathers Day 2014 to be worn with pride again. That was the day when the man who kicked 3 goals with his first 3 kicks in his first game played his last game scoring a goal with his final AFL kick. He only scored 5 goals in the 227 games in between.

I was at the ground when a coach in just his second game matched up a player in just his 5th game on Barry Hall. Barry kicked half of Sydney's 8 goals in a 13 point win on a wet and soggy night, but I think Ben Rutten owes his career to that move by Neil Craig.

That number also has a strong West Adelaide connection (the SANFL side I supported in my youth before I moved to Canberra); both Mark Mickan and Rutten being Bloods players, and Mickan coaching them to the drought breaking 2015 flag.

"Fetta" Cheney was OK, but never a standout player.

And yes, the guernsey still fits...

I'm getting a bit iffy about Tex as well to be honest, not seeing it into 2020/21
If he can get himself fit there is no reason why he can not have a very good 2020 with a 2021 wind down .
Lynch is the big one , if he is as lame as he was last season then it is trade out or pay out at the end of next season .

Mchenry, Sholl, McAsey, McAdam, Worrell, Schoenberg, Hamill, Butts, McPherson.
I don't want to see the likes of Atkins, Mackay, Hartigan, Kelly, Poholke, Wilson. Also feel Nicks will go with a smaller forward line so it may come down to one of either walker or Lynch. I also don't wanna see players pigeonholed and would like to see McAsey given a chance up forward as we lack contested marks up there. I also want to see some speed on display.

Last edited:
I don't want to see the likes of Atkins, Mackay, Hartigan, Kelly, Poholke, Wilson. Also feel Nicks will go with a smaller forward line so it may come down to one of either walker or Lynch. I also don't wanna see players pigeonholed and would like to see McAsey given a chance up forward as we lack contested marks up there. I also want to see some speed on display.
Maaaaate....if Walker and Lynch are fit and in form they're both absolute locks. People seem to forget Tommy had a bout of illness in the pre-season and then calf issues that saw him miss a bunch of games this year. With an uneventful pre-season Lynch will be out there as will Walker.

There is no expectations next year.. we aren't a contender so I see it like many as a trial and error season.
Reward for SANFL form but we also need to see if some players can cut the mustard i.e McAdam and Davis (yes I know he played last year but he needs a fair crack to see if he can make it)

Round 1 McHenry has to play.. start with Hartigan but if stinks get rid of him and then play the likes of Butts and McAsey. Schoenberg also id like to see get a few games under his belt in 2020.
Scholl and Hamil would also want to try and push this season after being on the list for their second season.

One player we all want to see get his body right is Mcpherson.. his last chance this year.

I wouldnt put Poholke in that same group. He was drafted the year Gallucci was. In my opinion I think hes a better player than Gooch. Diiferent type of mid as Poholke is inside and Gooch is outside but they both can play forward and Poholke I believe is a better forward than Gallucci as well as a better finisher.

My fear with hearing Hamish saying stuff like 'we feel the list is in better shape than most media pundits believe' is that we continue with the older players to push for the 8th spot

This is the season to say ok we are only focussing on development and play a minimum of 5 under 22 year olds in every round.

I really like Sholl, he is my favorite of last years draftees I'd like to see him in round 1

My fear with hearing Hamish saying stuff like 'we feel the list is in better shape than most media pundits believe' is that we continue with the older players to push for the 8th spot

This is the season to say ok we are only focussing on development and play a minimum of 5 under 22 year olds in every round.

I really like Sholl, he is my favorite of last years draftees I'd like to see him in round 1
Who are these experienced over the hill players this year though?

Walker. Best forward plays every week.
Talia. Same but defence.
Gibbs. Could improve substantially next season.
Mackay. I’ll give you DMac.
Lynch. Gun forward when fit.

Who are these experienced over the hill players this year though?

Walker. Best forward plays every week.
Talia. Same but defence.
Gibbs. Could improve substantially next season.
Mackay. I’ll give you DMac.
Lynch. Gun forward when fit.
Walker, Talia, Smith, Sloane and Laird are obviously the exception but you could make strong cases to not have Mackay Lynch Gibbs Hartigan or Atkins play 22 games next season, we have a bunch of young players with virtually zero experience who we need to give games to.

Im not saying cut all the old blokes at the same time but they shouldn't all play in the same team ever again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learned today that Kieran Strachan is 24, and is our 20th oldest player, 2 months younger than ROB, older than Frampton. I just assumed he was like 19.
What are people's expectations of him this year? Is he any chance of making his debut at some point?
I liked his year, showed a bit. No question he deserved another year.

Dont necessarily have high expectations but there’s no doubt he has some tools and who knows what his ceiling is really.

Mostly I liked his capacity to clunk marks up forward and kick accurately for goal.

He’s a big lad - over 200cm I think, so a late bloomer. Will continue to watch him closely to see if he develops further.

His ability to cover the ground in the ruck has always been a weapon for him which has always meant he's rucked a little 'light'. He finished 3rd in Essendon VFL's time trial, only beaten out by two midfielders. He broke his leg the year you blokes drafted him and he obviously started running a fair bit later than he would usually, but I suppose that didn't matter as much as your coaches asked him to put on weight. Think he stacked on 5+ kilos over last preseason and early season.

He struggled with this for a bit early in the year, but I think as the season progressed and he learnt the new system etc he began to go well. Moving back into his true position later in the year helped and as I mentioned before his good games came when given a shot and not just pinch hitting in the ruck for 5 minute spells. He's never played as a forward really so was out of position all year and playing second fiddle to Jenkins wasn't ideal for him.

Walker, Talia, Smith, Sloane and Laird are obviously the exception but you could make strong cases to not have Mackay Lynch Gibbs Hartigan or Atkins play 22 games next season, we have a bunch of young players with virtually zero experience who we need to give games to.

Im not saying cut all the old blokes at the same time but they shouldn't all play in the same team ever again.

If I were Nicks, I'd be reading Gibbs the riot act, he owed us bloody big time after this season. Guy is silk but we need to pick which flank we run him from HBF or HFF and just play him there ( my preferred is HBF at this stage)

If I were Nicks, I'd be reading Gibbs the riot act, he owed us bloody big time after this season. Guy is silk but we need to pick which flank we run him from HBF or HFF and just play him there ( my preferred is HBF at this stage)
Agreed ... needs to be hungry and needs to play off of Half Back , maybe he gets switched up as the season goes but if he can play the role of quarterback it allows us to release Smith and Milera up the ground and also give our young small forwards a real crack .
Gibbs does not offer enough forward pressure if he was to play there all game especially with the ageing talls .

Agreed ... needs to be hungry and needs to play off of Half Back , maybe he gets switched up as the season goes but if he can play the role of quarterback it allows us to release Smith and Milera up the ground and also give our young small forwards a real crack .
Gibbs does not offer enough forward pressure if he was to play there all game especially with the ageing talls .
Would be disappointed if Gibbs is selected to cruise around at half back while Hamill and Sholl rot in the reserves.

Just went back and watched last year’s Draftees U18 carnival highlights. And we sure did pick a slightly built draft class didn’t we.

Not a knock on them as players, but watching that again it’s hard to argue them not getting games last year. Looking forward to a few more things photo’s and vids to see some progress

Would be disappointed if Gibbs is selected to cruise around at half back while Hamill and Sholl rot in the reserves.
Absolutely , if he is going to cruise around it might as well be down brighton rd to the TAB .
Nicks has said that Gibbs will start more than likely play at HBF to start the season so it will be interesting .
Nothing short of a completely different attitude and output from Gibbs and he is done IMO .

Absolutely , if he is going to cruise around it might as well be down brighton rd to the TAB .
Nicks has said that Gibbs will start more than likely play at HBF to start the season so it will be interesting .
Nothing short of a completely different attitude and output from Gibbs and he is done IMO .
Didn't Gibbs fall out with Campo... so this should help.

However, agree the #1 issue is Gibbs needs to change his attitude & show some desperation for his position or he can play sanfl.

Would be disappointed if we pick anyone who just cruises around like we had many this year. Need accountability for performance, which means not being afraid of dropping players when they are not putting in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back