Remove this Banner Ad

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Do you rate Henry as a better prospect than Robertson?

To be honest, I really rate Robertson. While I was over the moon we got TK, I was bummed that it meant not getting any of the WA kids this year.

Robertson's uncle is our list manager.... Not sure if that means he'd be keen to get in Deven's ear and get him to come over...

From the little I've seen I'd rate them about the same. Both high quality characters, but different positions. I see Henry as being more likely to be a star.

I'd have thought being the uncle would be a reason not to push Robertson to move to WC.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
If Henry wasn't an NGA bid, would Freo fans rate Henry as a better prospect than Robertson?

What are your thoughts on Robertson flying the coup in a year or two. Do you think you will be able to retain him?

Obviously we don't have a draft pick this year that would allow us to draft him. Just wondering if any fans of other clubs are a bit iffy on him because the idea that he might want to play for the eagles in the future.
I think once a guy settles into a club it’s unlikely he asks for a trade unless it’s for going home or more opportunities. Robertson is at home, and if he’s playing regular senior footy his alliances will likely have changed.

McGovern, Yeo, Shepard, all diehard Freo fans, wouldn’t swap from WC for anything. Ballantyne, Hill, Blakely (I think) all WC fans, but are now hardened Freo men. Ballantyne’s alleged trade request a couple of years back was for a longer contract (ie opportunity), so if we draft Robertson I’d say it’s unlikely (not impossible) that he’d request a trade. Maybe he would, a lot more likely he doesn’t.

Players don’t move just to play for the team they supported up to age 18. Guys like McCarthy and Wilson came home to their preferred club, Yeo went to the club he hated as a kid. But he’s an eagle through and through now. McGovern had a big offer from the club he supported fanatically growing up, but he stayed at WC because now he loves the club. I’d back Freo in to retain Deven if we draft him, or else WC pays Freo a premium to get him across.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Henry wasn't an NGA bid, would Freo fans rate Henry as a better prospect than Robertson?
I think Robertson is a better player but not by enough to draft him over Henry (given needs) if they were open draft.

No love for Jackson!

My order of preference - first two available:

Jackson
Robertson
Stephens
Young
Green
Kemp
Ash
Flanders
I'd consider Jackson if we didn't get Lobb last year or if I thought Darcy was a total spud or if he was just so obviously a generational player. In that case, he'd definitely not make it to our pick.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d like Robertson and Jackson because I think they’re the two best talents outside of the top few and are local. But, I doubt either are available which actually helps us more with our needs. I think we get Flanders and Young.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

What are your thoughts on Robertson flying the coup in a year or two. Do you think you will be able to retain him?

Obviously we don't have a draft pick this year that would allow us to draft him. Just wondering if any fans of other clubs are a bit iffy on him because the idea that he might want to play for the eagles in the future.

If Henry wasn't NGA i'd have him in the Stephens/Young/Ash/Robertson mix as being happy to draft. Clear positional need for us, great skills and WA. I'd probably go Henry/Robertson purely for safety factor. Think the chance he moves is near-zero. No chance until UFA age IMO, sub-5% chance after.

Cameron_K

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 23, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets, Astros, Texans
While I absolutely love the look of Young and Stephens I honestly believe we will really regret passing on Robertson if he is available. Yes their are question marks on his disposal but his inside game and that leadership both on and off the field is exactly what we want with such a young group growing with a young coach. He is instantly up there with Brayshaw in the leadership potential.

That being said any of the 3 I believe had the potential to be very good players for the team.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Regardless of who I think we should pick up, I think the closest thing to a Freo drafting certainty is JBllo selecting Robertson at pick #7(8) assuming he is still available (and of course, Henry). If I was Robertson and I wasn't selected by Adelaide at pick #6(7), I would start putting my undies and socks back in the drawers because I won't be leaving Perth. Agree with me or not. Doesn't really matter. Watch it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Do you rate Henry as a better prospect than Robertson?

To be honest, I really rate Robertson. While I was over the moon we got TK, I was bummed that it meant not getting any of the WA kids this year.

Robertson's uncle is our list manager.... Not sure if that means he'd be keen to get in Deven's ear and get him to come over...
I would be really surprised if Freo didn't rate Henry above Robertson, even though Deven is quality with a capital Q. Henry is a long term Walters replacement, and has probably the best skills in the draft.

Robertson however is the Larke Medallist and had the most disposals of any draftee in the U18's and if he isn't a star I'd be very surprised.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

So he is routinely discussed as AFL captain material with high end leadership ability, but is a flight risk? I don't think so. But anyone is trade-able if the offer is high enough.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m already on record with this on the other thread, but just for clarity...
Stephens and Robertson please.

I know Robertson has plenty of knockers on here but we recruit players for 10-12 years, not just for immediate needs. He’s better than most of our inside mid options, he’s a proven leader and he’s a low flight risk.

We didn’t get Brodie Grundy because we had too many ruck options at the time but I’m pretty sure he’s got plenty of years ahead of him and he would be our first picked player now. The argument we shouldn’t get Robertson because we are rife with IMs is flawed and dangerously short-sighted.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m already on record with this on the other thread, but just for clarity...
Stephens and Robertson please.

I know Robertson has plenty of knockers on here but we recruit players for 10-12 years, not just for immediate needs. He’s better than most of our inside mid options, he’s a proven leader and he’s a low flight risk.

We didn’t get Brodie Grundy because we had too many ruck options at the time but I’m pretty sure he’s got plenty of years ahead of him and he would be our first picked player now. The argument we shouldn’t get Robertson because we are rife with IMs is flawed and dangerously short-sighted.
This is fine if he actually is better than the other players. The hard part is knowing that which I don't think any of us do.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is fine if he actually is better than the other players. The hard part is knowing that which I don't think any of us do.
He just won the Larke medal. In this incredibly even draft year he dominated consistently. I’m pretty certain he will be better than Crowden, Banfield, Tucker, Conca. Has Blakely ever laid a tackle? If we have so many inside mids why the hell do we play Walters and a 65 year old Mundy in there? I suspect the bias against Robertson stems from the fact he’s Darren Glass’ nephew and the bigoted West Coast haters can’t stand it. He is Rory Sloane 2.0. It’s a no brainer.

ShredBot

Rookie
Nov 29, 2018
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Young and Robertson would be great! Young is one of the best kicks and Robertson is one of the biggest bulls. send in the bull to get the ball give it to the kicker to send forward to a mark inside 50 and Goooooaaalll!!! easy hey

Back